New to no s and looking for some answers

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

rflspnr

New to no s and looking for some answers

Post by rflspnr » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:16 am

Hi all,

I found this sight randomly, and was super intrigued! It sounds awesome and I cannot wait to try it! I have a few questions on the "sweets" thing. Is Honey concidered a "sweets". I like it in my tea and sometimes on "toast". Also, meal replacements? I don't always have time to come home and eat a "good" meal, is there anything i can buy to help out with that? Any feed back would be awesome! I'm looking forward to doing this.
thanks
Tim

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:36 pm

Hi Tim :)
Welcome!

Well, honey is very very dense sugar.... a teaspoon is like worth two and half teaspoons of granulated sugar calories or something like that.. Kind of like real maple syrup...
That being said, I'd just caution you not to have more than a tsp or two and I think it would be okay...
But if you have it at every meal on toast every day, and "lay it on thick" as Reinhard says on the homepage, with the peanut butter and jelly example, you might want to make it an S....
I suggest just limit the amount and frequency you have it...

Meal replacements? You mean shakes? Unless you are making a really wholesome home made smoothie with real fruit and good stuff like yogurt or soymilk, I would veer clear of the shakes industry...
With a little forethought, you can figure out some kind of sandwich and maybe a little fruit or cup of soup, which shouldn't take you too long to prepare, or eat... How about a peanut butter and honey sandwich? :)

Sorry, but here at NoS, we likes our meals, and don't like replacing them! LOL..
Well at least me...
I've eaten shakes and smoothies in the past, for calorie reduction and convenience, but unless you are eating them because that's what you are really in the mood for, you will eventually tire of them and then you will be stuck with the same mealing habits you had before...
Substitutes for meals, I feel, only make you want to eat more when you return to "non substitute" meals...
The body just craves the real thing...

Good luck with your first week!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

rflspnr

Post by rflspnr » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:42 pm

Thanks Deb! I use Honey only once in a while, but it's the only way i like tea. (I only drink tea once in a while) and as for on toast, again only once in a while. my biggest weakness is peanut butter so I am putting it on the "s" list. And what i mean by meal replacements. I mean ANYTHING that i can buy and take with me that doesnt require refridgeration. I'm on the go so much I don't make it home till my last meal of the day. You're a wealth of knowledge and I thank you for the support.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:12 pm

Welcome, rflspnr.

Nothing to add to Deb's excellent advice, really... except another gentle nudge to try if at all possible to organize your life so that you can eat more real meals and don't have to resort to replacements so often. I know it's a big goal, and it might take a while and have to be done in baby steps, but it's very worthwhile -- and not just for your waistline.

Keep us posted,

Reinhard

JWL

Post by JWL » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:02 pm

Hi Tim, for me maple syrup and honey are OK. They are natural, unrefined sweeteners and are reasonably healthy for you in moderation. For me, it falls under the "when," if you have them with a meal it's OK.

The closest thing to funny stuff is that every morning I sweeten my iced americano coffee with maple syrup. So yes, it's extra calories, but I'm not gonna worry too much about a tablespoon or so of maple syrup.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net