BigBirdUk's doing her best......

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BigBirdUk

BigBirdUk's doing her best......

Post by BigBirdUk » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:46 am

:roll: Here we go, then..... Starting at lunchtime - will post again tomorrow. Wish me luck!
Spring is sprung......!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:22 pm

Hey there Big Bird!
Good luck!!!!!
Welcome too :)
Hope all goes well and keep us posted :)

Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:42 am

Welcome and good luck!
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

pangelsue

Welcome

Post by pangelsue » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:29 am

Good luck and keep us posted.

BigBirdUk

Post by BigBirdUk » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:03 pm

:oops: Being Good Friday it quickly turned into an S day, as I succumbed to a snack at suppertime. But apart from that aberration, not too bad, for day one.

And today is a regular S day, as is tomorrow. What kind of doylum kicks off a new eating habit at Easter, anyway?

But come Monday - I'll be there! At least my Good Friday snack wasn't sweet; there is hope......
Spring is sprung......!

pangelsue

jelly bean queen

Post by pangelsue » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:00 am

Thanks for the comments, Big Bird. Hey, one snack is a start. We were all there. I started by giving up one snack at a time. Morning was first, followed by afternoon, followed by after work, followed by after supper. When they had all been successfully eliminated, then I started my 21 days. I knew, that I was not going to be able to do cold turkey. I know some people can but I had to creep up on it. You can't miss with this plan. You are the designer, you are the Master mind. Just have a goal, and work toward it. You can't mess up as long as you keep trying. Best of luck. Mondays are the hardest, it gets easier after that.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:55 pm

Welcome, BigBirdUK.

Don't worry about Good Friday. It's a very high holiday, if not exactly a feast day. This week it will be much easier (and more appropriate) to make a clean start.

Looking forward to hearing more from you,

Reinhard

BigBirdUk

Post by BigBirdUk » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:58 pm

:wink:

On course for a snack free, sugar free, no-S-anywhere day!

Had toast and cheese for breakfast, ham salad and an apple for lunch and have put a beef hotpot in the oven for supper.

Really grateful for all your support and kind replies
Spring is sprung......!

mstevens

Post by mstevens » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:42 am

Welcome! Good luck!

I'm starting again this morning after a week or so off over easter.