New to Shovelglove!

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
battlefish

New to Shovelglove!

Post by battlefish » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:44 am

Hey, I just found this site on Sat and purchased my sledge hammer today! I have had my first SG session this morning and it was great! I can't wait to see the results of SG along with the No S diet that I also started today. I want this as a life change(though I was already eating fairly healthy and working out at a gym), but it can't hurt if I end up losing a little before my wedding/honeymoon this summer :).

Anyway just wanted to give a little intro and say hi to everyone.

I'll keep everyone updated on my progress and how well I'm keeping with the program.

Battlefish

Simon

Post by Simon » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:45 pm

Welcome to the pond, Battlefish.

I'm a fairly new convert to both the NoS diet and ShovelGlove as well. Been going great so far and I look forward to hearing more from you over the next weeks!
Simon
"Hickory Hand of the North"

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:31 pm

Welcome and good luck!!!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

battlefish

Post by battlefish » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:00 am

I just realized while reading a few other posts from you Deb. You are a massage therapist. Which I find interesting because I am one too :). *waves* at fellow therapist.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:22 pm

Battlefish,

Glad to see you here in shovelglove as well as no-s. The hardest part, as with all new behaviors, is to build the habit. Shovelglove is very habit-friendly, but it still takes a bit of conscious effort up front to carve out the time (yes, even 14 minutes takes effort).

Best of luck, and keep us posted.

Reinhard

battlefish

Post by battlefish » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:26 pm

Thanks everyone for the welcome :). I've been good all week about getting up and SGing before I start my day but today was tough. So I sat down at the computer first and started checking my messages and what not. Came here and after reading everyone's comments and other posts I got up and just did it. Thanks for the support! This is now post SG work out and I feel great.

Two things that I've already incoperated into my movements that I haven't seen on here yet(but then I might not have gone back far enough).

1. Squats, I love squating with a proper rack at the gym so I just modified it for SG and act like the sledge is a heavy box that I have to squat down to pick up(I work at UPS it wasn't too far a stretch of imagination for me).

2. Stiff Legged Deadlift, I use the same scenario of picking up a package(box) and viola modified SL Deadlift.

Anyway that's all for now :)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:02 am

Thanks for the moves, battlefish.

Squats come up quite a bit in this forum, if you poke around a bit. I used to do them on and off, but now our office is up 8 flights of stairs so I just run up those twice a day instead.

Your UPS background makes me think of a great "scenario" for this movement:

Pick up the box containing the sledgehammer you ordered through my affiliates link from amazon.com.

:-)

Reinhard

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:30 pm

Hey! Another UPSer!

I don't get to pick anything up though. I model supply chain structures on computer for large multinational client companies. Most people (including those who work for UPS) don't even know that we do that! :)

C.
CaroleJo

battlefish

Post by battlefish » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:55 pm

Nifty! Both my fiance and I are UPSers :). No I hadn't realized that UPS did that sort of thing but as soon as I turn to him to tell him he's like "oh yeah I know that" LOL. I don't lif heavy stuff too much any more as I'm in a smalls area but I used to.

battlefish

Post by battlefish » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:49 pm

Oy Vey is Shugging hard this week. Hard in the get my butt up and do it sense. I have no excuse though so I have managed to just do it but it's been tough I can tell you that.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:30 pm

Hi Battlefish! :)
I would imagine that working for UPS is weightlifting enough!!!
One guy I used to talk to said it was like a "gym on wheels"...

But Shovelglove should be fun, even if it's challenging... When it gets really tough, maybe it's sign to go slower or take a day off..

Good luck!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

battlefish

Post by battlefish » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:40 pm

Yeah, UPS is quite the work out for most UPSers, except that I've moved to a less intense area and now I don't lift or move heavy packages anymore. I lost 30lbs from when I started at UPS up until I moved to the smalls area where I have since gained that all back. So I'm trying to do Shovelglove everyday to get back to where I was just a few months ago. Hopefull that with the NoS I can make it. But I just need to keep with it everyday or I'll end up making too many excuses and not doing it at all. Thanks though. Coming on here helps and reading everyone's encouragements is also a boost. Ok off to SG!