My solution for variable weight

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
reddog

My solution for variable weight

Post by reddog » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:53 pm

Here is my solution for variable weights on a sledgehammer. No modifications or duct tape are required.

The product to buy is a pair of 2.5 lb. PlateMate Donuts:
http://www.amazon.com/PlateMate-Microlo ... ref=sr_1_1

[If you buy, go through Reinhard's Amazon store!]

These weights slip over the sledge handle (the donut hole is 2 inches, same as an Olympic weight plate) and five very strong magnets hold it to the iron hammer head. The donuts are coated with a hard rubber that is (a) thin enough so they stick to each other and won't fall apart during movement, and (b) thick enough so you can separate them without a pry bar. I have never had a problem with a donut coming loose.

Requirements for your hammer: The handle cannot be wider than 2 inches at any point. The iron head must have some flat area where the handle penetrates. (Most hammers are square in the middle, then octagonal, then round. The square part provides a good contact area for some of the 5 magnets.) Oh, and no sweater between the iron and the magnetic donut.

Safety: Reinhard has pointed out sledge handles are not designed for extra weight, but of course we are NEVER pounding our hammers. The most important thing is to be sure the magnets make good contact; you should test this by turning it upside down and shaking. The worst that could happen -- if there is insufficient magnet contact -- is the donut slides down the handle till your hand stops it.

I've been using this system for years, and find it quick and easy to change weights between exercises.

germanherman

Post by germanherman » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:43 am

I retired my shovelglove a while back and moved to other kinds of strength-training but i think everybody comes to the point he or she wants to add some weight to the hammer. I did it with dumbell-plates and lots (and lots) of tape. But i always feared that someday the tape would rip apart and...

Well lets say i would need a very long time to trust this magnets.

In other words: In my book you are a brave dog!
Spend over 450 Dollar on some Systems, Gadgets and courses = Zero Results

Spend 15 Bucks for a Shovelglove + NoS-Diet= ;)

German by nature

RedBaron

Post by RedBaron » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:37 pm

Those are cool! I love magnets :-)

Of course, to play devil's advocate, for $48 you could buy a second sledgehammer and just switch between the two.

But this is a neat solution, more portable than two sledgehammers and more easily stored. And it gets extra points for magnets.
"Why is this thus?
What is the reason for this thusness?"
-- Artemus Ward