Passive Habits vs Active Habits and Compliance Issues

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
andrewemond

Passive Habits vs Active Habits and Compliance Issues

Post by andrewemond » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:55 pm

I have a feeling this post is going to be more about me thinking through some sticking points and noting observations I've made than anything else, but if anyone can shed light--all the better.

I've noticed habits that require a time commitment, inertia, or too much focus on process and not enough on outcome (let's call this process-outcome incongruity for lack of a better definition--any thoughts? does a better word exist? no point in reinventing the wheel.) are harder to maintain than passive habits.

Firstly, it'd be good for me to define what I mean by active habits vs passive habits.

I'm defining passive habits as either two things: the first) abstinence from something you don't want to do (smoking, biting nails, drinking too much alcohol, yada yada yada), or anything requiring no time commitment; the second) anything you are obligated to do regardless of habit, usually because it performs a biological function (in this case, I'm thinking of dietary habits--whether we like it or not we are forced to make food decisions because of appetite; it's not something we can forgo).

I'm defining active habits as something we do that isn't necessary in our daily life (e.g. exercise, writing, practising an instrument, reading vs aforementioned diet & sleeping) and requires a time commitment.

Before I continue, do you think it's safe to even categorize? Are these fair definitions?

finallyfull

Post by finallyfull » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:34 pm

I agree -- if I understand you right. I am doing really well at No S, mainly because it means I DON'T eat snacks, sweets, or seconds. It's passive. But I somehow cannot seem to get myself to do "14 minutes of anything" consistently, even though I am totally on board for it and think it's great and would revolutionize my fitness.

I guess the word inertia probably explains it. A body at rest tends to stay at rest, and I don't seem to have any force to consistently move it. Maybe parking far from work and walking will do it. Thanks for the thread, I'm going to start today -- but small. I will park about five minutes from work, not seven. That will force 10 minutes of walking.

So pathetic that this is progress for me! haha.

ahen23

Post by ahen23 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:40 pm

Your categorization is certainly different and very innovative. Classifying weight loss programs or activities into active and passive habits will surely help set priorities. I for one felt it very difficult to both follow a strict diet plan and do regular exercise. Categorizing my habits into active and passive would have surely helped me.
I am a health conscious mother of two. Having tried general motors diet and 21 days diet plan, I am now looking for new ideas and tips to stay healthy.

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:01 am

Thanks for bumping this up! I too have more problems with active habits. Mainly due to time issues.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

brightstar

Post by brightstar » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:35 am

I agreed i for one felt it very difficult to both follow a strict diet plan and do regular exercise. Categorizing my habits into active and passive would have surely helped me.nice post

Tesco Orpington Opening Times