Ardigan's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ardigan

Ardigan's Daily Check In

Post by ardigan » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:25 am

Well, daily might be a bit of a stretch but I'll do my best. Today was my second official day of No-S and my first S-day (cos of ANZAC day).

Yesterday was a success (but then the first day of a new diet always is) and I stuck to my meals, although I felt a bit peckish after dinner. Okay, I had to physically restrain myself to avoid raiding the fridge. Still, I made it. And I went for a 6km walk along the beach, which felt so good. I forget how much I enjoy walking now I drive everywhere.

Today I was too nervous to take advantage of my S-day...had my first job interview ever and couldn't eat anything beforehand. It went okay, I think, so I indulged in a few Anzac biscuits afterward to celebrate.

Do I call it a success if it's an S-day?

I feel kinda guilty actually, which is stupid. It's an S-day. I'm allowed S-days! Probably I just have to get over the fact that it's not just a temporary diet where foods are forbidden forever (until I give up, that is) but an actual habit, for the rest of my life and there's not really such thing as a 'eeeeeeevil' food. :twisted:

Easier said than done. Never mind. *grits teeth, flips the bird at the fridge* I'm not giving up.
-Kate

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ~Douglas Adams

pangelsue

Welcome Kate

Post by pangelsue » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:42 am

Welcome and what is ANZAC day? And ANZAC biscuits? Sound interesting.
It is hard not to feel guilty about S days for a while. I felt like I had to explain the snacks I ate the first weekend. I kept telling my husband, "I can have this". This diet is worth the effort even if you screw up a bit now and then. Just start over. Weekdays get easier after your 21 days and weekends are lovely. As you said "no evil foods". They just have to wait their turn. It probably isn't for everybody but after a million failed diets, I think I have found mine. At work, I hear no-carb people drooling over the doughnuts and the low fat people drooling over french fries and the point counters debating how many points a half a cookie would be and I know I am on the right track. I can have the doughnut or the cookie or the fries. It just has to wait until the weekend. I love the control I feel over my life during the week and I love the freedom of the weekends for parties and entertaining.
Good luck with the job hunt.

ardigan

Post by ardigan » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:56 am

Thanks for your kind words pangelsue! I'm glad it gets easier because as it is I can't wait for the weekend. Hopefully I won't go too wild!

Anzac Day is a holiday to commemorate the ANZAC (Australian & New Zealand Army Corps) soldiers who died in WWI and II. Normally involves a dawn parade and memorial service (I slept in though!) and Anzac biscuits, which are made out of rolled oats, coconut and golden syrup. Good fun. There's a link here if you're interested, and a recipe:

http://www.anzac.govt.nz/significance/traditions.html

So...days 3 and 4: both successes! Although probably only just. I think I tend to pile my plate a little too high right now. And the hours between lunch and dinner are actually painful.

Still, I think I could get used to this. :D
-Kate

ardigan

Post by ardigan » Wed May 03, 2006 5:19 am

Hahaha, 'daily' was a bit optimistic after all!

Um... I can't remember what day I was up to... Day five was a success.
Day 6 and 7: S Days (definitely S days!)
Day 8: Success
Day 9: Success
Day 10: Success (so far, anyway)

There has been a bit of funny stuff though... sugar in the porridge, pretty massive portions and whatnot... still I never would have made it to 10 days if I'd been too strict.

I can't believe it's been 10 days! And I haven't been overly tempted during the week. And I suppose it helps that I'm back to school and don't even have a spare second to think about snacking... or doing any exercise, though :( Definitely haven't been a good urban ranger this week.
-Kate

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed May 03, 2006 4:03 pm

Hi Kate :)
Great work!!!

Good luck in school!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness