Pavlov's Dead

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
gratefuldeb67

Pavlov's Dead

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed May 18, 2005 11:47 pm

Hey I put on my faithful Grateful Dead 12 minute jam before and immediately felt motivated :D
I felt that good "burn" by the time I was into about 6 or 7 minutes, and I just plowed away to 14...
My arms were red by the end!

I had a great time getting intimate with my hammer again!
Oh hammer I love you! :P

On a side note, I can't believe that I gave birth to an 11 lb child!!!
My SG is 12 and boy that is one heavy kid!
Just flashed on that idea while I was doing my thang...

Glad I prioritized today and arranged my work schedule to accommodate my SG routine! LOL...
Have a great night yall :)
Love,
Deb
"Raaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!"
(Hi Ariel! That one was for you!)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:40 pm

Hey guys.. I almost forgot to "kick my own ass" and since none of you felt like it, I almost got through the day without *any* exercise at all!
(except posting and emailing people like a maniac today.. Does punching these keyboards count at all??? LOL.... Plus I did a 90 minute massage which worked the life out of me in the morning! At least my fingers and wrist flexors/extensors get regular working out!)

I was about to sit down to my big bowl of salad, and I put on some tunes I had burned to cd...
My Shovelglove song came on, and I just couldn't start my dinner...

I was compelled to pick up my hammer!!!
It's pretty ingrained at this point! LOL....

Who knew that even the Grateful Dead could be used as Pavlov's Bell???
I guess when you have a good association, it works for you! :lol:
So I am now having my dinner, much sweatier than I started out, and with a clear conscience! LOL...

Peace and Glove (and Behavioral Science....)
RAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: Warrior Deb!!!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:39 am

I like the idea of putting on a really long song for SG routine. Maybe tomorrow I will play Weird Al's "Genius in France." It's about 12 minutes, I think. Go here, if you want to hear a piece of this lunacy:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 93-2157651

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:45 am

Jammin Jan!!!....

Do you like Frank Zappa?
Clearly Weird Al has listened to the Mothers of Invention....

I might laugh too much with that kind of stuff on, and then I'd drop my shovelglove...
Considering it's almost 14 lbs, that would hurt!
Thanks for the clip!!!

Love,
8) Deb

JWL

Post by JWL » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:29 am

'The Invisible Man,' which is track 1 on Marillion's most recent album Marbles is really fun to shugg to. It's about 12 minutes long, so the end of that song is my cue to do 21 reps of "chop the tree," which coincides nicely with track 2 on the album.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:31 pm

Deb,

Al has listened to EVERYONE. No one escapes.

Don't drop your SG!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:30 pm

Yeah he has, with all that parody stuff.. But specifically the orchestration of "Genius in France" is almost a Zappa Zerox!!!!

We'll Happy shuggling yall!

Oh Freakwitch, I'll have to check out Marrillion.... I remember when they came out around the same time as early Genesis...
Are they still Prog Rocky!?
Enjoy!
Peace,
8) Deb

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:53 pm

Ha ha ha!!!!
I was just about to have a late lunch of salad with *beets, sardines, and chickpeas, over some head lettuce... When my music shuffle started playing my Shovelglove tune!
Ah, even my computer wants me to get my fourteen minutes in!!!!

Well my salad is still on the counter, but I am going to eat it now with a sweaty, and clear conscience!!!
Good workout just now... I'm really amazed at how this Pavlov thing works for us, if we want it to...

Infact, I'm so convinced that this song has formed an exercise habit with me, at this point, that I have been instituting a ban on listening to this particular 12 minute live cover of "Franklin's Tower", under any other circumstances besides Shovelgloving... I don't want to associate it with any other activities... Like being sedentary, or, if you want to stay in the Grateful Dead mindset, sitting around having recreational substances and eating Ben and Jerrys.... Like in the "old days" LOL....

So there you go!
I'm happy my computer and Pavlov are in cahoots to get me to move my behind!
So, what are you all listening to these days?
Reinhard, do you still listen to
"Slovenly Peter"? LOL...
I have never been able to get any downloads of that...

This brain programming is cool!!!!!!!!
LOL...
Peace and Glove,
8) Deb

Rahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Okay, I'm a little low key right now... :lol: But I still got to the Glove and that's what counts!

* A NoS officially approved vegetable!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:53 pm

Hey everybody!

Rahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL..
I just finished up SG now and it felt great to do it...
I'm still programmed to "drool" when my SG song comes up on my burned "mix" cd...
I had a bit of great luck the other day because I have had no real stereo to listen to for a while now (about three months) since my old amplifier, a very good Akai is in need of repair...
It was working (albeit only one speaker channel worked! LOL)
But it just hasn't been a financial priority so I couldn't afford to take it in to this guy who does electronic repairs and I've been stuck having to listen to all my great music on my crummy computer speakers...
The real problem with that anyway, even if they were good, is that my computer is the room my son and I share as the video/computer/bedroom which, since he has a queen size bed makes the space I have for SG awkward... It's the shape of the remaining free floor space... in here it's like a small "L" shape...
One doorway away to my Zen meditation and dormitory room, I had set up my stereo (when it worked!!!!) so I could do all indoor exercise, including Yoga and SG with a nice ambient sounding setup...
And I especially keep it sparse in there, in regards to furniture, so I can have all the space for moving around freely... Also, it's a nice rectangle shape, not a weird L shape I am in...
So back to the good news...
I was thinking, just a day ago "Wow, I really have to fix this stereo, because without my music and the space, I'm really not getting into my exercise at home... I *wish* I could do that and have music again!!!"

Hey, guess what?
That evening a block or two away from our cottage, someone decided to throw out a perfectly functional Aiwa stereo system!!!
See!!!!
Even the Universe wants to help me get in shape!!!!
Yay!!!!!

It sounds pretty good, and even has a mic jack for singing Karaoke! LOL...

Last night I heard my SG song for a moment and thought, "hurry up Debbie and go grab your shovelglove!!!"
But it was 12:15 am, so I decided to just hold it for a few moments and then shut that song off... I did try to start up, but then I thought, "You are nuts, it's late, don't be a moron!" LOL...

Today I did a kind of move which I can't think of a great name for, so I'll just call it a "Jack knife", since that describes the motion...
It's not a squat, since no knee bending is involved, but you bend to 90 degrees at the waist, ie: parallel to the floor with your back... and keep the SG in between your scapulae... Hold the handle with your arms extended so it seems like you are one big L shape and the mid point is your waist... Then just use your breath to lift up to vertical, and then as you descend to horizontal again, expell all your breath and kind of crunch in your abs... I found this worked my low and upper back extensors pretty nicely... and after about 10 of them, you feel the blood pressure in your head! LOL!!! But only if the SG is up in between your scaps, since that increases the load of the weight... I got a good sweat going today I tell you!!!!!!!!!
(note to self: In future, put on deodorant *before* doing Hoist the sack, or you might pass out and die! LOL....)

So Yay!!!! I have music and space again and you will see more of me here!!! I'm happy because if I'm not SG'ing I just don't feel like me!!!
You know,,,

Warrior Deb
Founder of the Pact of Blood!
Rock On All!!!!!!
All together now,,,
RAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:05 pm

Ah the beauty of brain programming!
I was futzing around uselessly before, and of course listening to some music... Yesterday and Wed I went to Yoga, so I didn't shovelglove on those days.. (And actually, I had such a long while away from the class that I was really worked out! My back this morning and all my ribs are just sore as hell! LOL... Breathing and moving those tight areas must have unlocked a load of built up stuff!)
But not today..
Well, for a moment I was hearing my SG song come on in the background
(incidentally if anyone has even some remote interest in having my Shovelglove song, just email me and I'll send it your way! LOL... It's twelve minutes long.. perfect for SG)
I recognized the happy feeling I usually get from this song, which after a year now, has really become part and parcel of my SG life! LOL..
Without that song, it's just not the same for me! LOL..
So after about a minute of wondering why I was feeling so happy, I realized "Oh yeah!!! I should do my SG now! Hurry up Deb, run and get it!!! LOL.."
So I did...

I also did a ninety minute deep tissue massage at my office today, so I think that's enough exercise for me! :wink:
I'm glad I didn't forget to do my SG..
It always feels fun when I do it!
Yay!!!
Shovelglove forever!!!!

Have a great weekend.... and, oh yeah,,,,

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Warrior Deb
Pact of Blood!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:52 pm

I just finished writing about my crunches this morning and "The Song" came on!!!
Well, I decided to get the old hammer and give it a whirl again...
I did about 9 minutes of freestyle shovelglove and started out real slow, then worked up to a quicker pace (but still very carefully as yesterday I was dealing with a nerve entrapment and triggerpoint which caused pain in my neck all day that day...) It was even starting to cause some carpal tunnel symptoms this morning, and my forearms were stupidly tight and painful.... (a sign of nerve entrapment)

So I used the SG for massage to my upper back while working out!!!
It felt really great!!!
Leverage rocks!!!!!!!!
Then I got a bit tired so I danced around the room for two minutes without the SG and did lots of arm circles and shoulder shrugs... and some kind of 2006 version of the Charleston! LOL...

And I feel pumped up now! And my back got a great massage in those hard to reach spots! I will try to describe these methods sometime later..
They were Yoga asana inspired positions which used the handle and the head of the SG to get into those scapulas and thoracic erector muscles..

Thanks Reinhard for creating a health promoting and fun exercise which never fails to make me smile!
Yay!!!!!!
And thanks Pavlov for discovering the power of habit and behavioral conditioning... When it's on your side, it really helps!
I simply can't sit around passively listening when my Shovelglove song is playing!

Love,
8) Deb