automated eating tracker

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:35 pm

Thursday, Week 45
132.4 -- thanks for encouragement, everyone. I did eat more than normal on the trip, I think, but not too badly. Interesting that just traveling may cause water retention....or maybe just stress (I was SO stressed about my older son's defiance).
NoSEating-N Day
B: coffee with cream
L: (date) burger and fries
D: chicken strips and jo-jos
JustMoveIt-N Day
walked Cooper 30 minutes
StrategicSpending-Summer modifications for July made this an S day.
life jacket for 5-yr old; fudge for the Holiday weekend
I am going to try no spending until Wednesday, when we leave on our next trip.
KidsUnplugged-N Day
1 hour electronics in the morning and again in the evening tied to chore completion. I have a chore chart on the fridge. I am not excited about this chore/behavior system, which is unusual for me (y'all know I love designing systems!). I feel afraid of failing and really doubt I can stick with it. I've tried many chore/behavior systems in the past, only to give up on them. I suspect a big problem is that I always make the chore system too big....Hmmmm.

Well, one (good) thing I've done different this time is chores are only assigned one day at a time--indeed, one set is for morning, then other is for evening. So this system is simpler that way. It is also more flexible in that I just have a big pile of cards with the chores printed on them. I just pick a few for each kid, depending on what needs to be done at that time. So maybe my system is OK. I just fail OVER and OVER and OVER again at discipline consistency, chore consistency, etc. So here goes.
RaisingReaders-N Day
30+ minutes
ironchef, great authors you listed!! :) Although I will have to look up Ursula Le Guin...

Update on the discipline issues: I have been simply cracking down on backtalk. The best consequence is loss of electronics or playtime with friends outside. Things are already improving with a few days of consistency. Lack of consistency gets me every time. How can I be very consistent at work and be bedeviled by inconsistency on the home front?????
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:56 pm

I have trouble sticking to chore systems just for myself, I can't imagine how challenging it would be to organise one for other people as well. Sounds like you have a good, simple idea, hope it goes well :)

Ursula Le Guin is the author of The Wizard of Earthsea (which you might have heard of) and the sequels The Tombs of Atuan, The Farthest Shore and Tehanu. Pretty heavy themes for kids: identity, death, loyalty, the nature of evil.

Her website is cool!

At the moment Rowan and I are reading Beatrix Potter, which I love, but he has to be in the right mood to get through the longer ones.

When he's a little bit older I'm really excited about reading him May Gibbs, and he already has a Snugglepot and Cuddlepie counting book.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:20 am

Haha, so true ironchef. Maybe that's ultimately my problem--I can't stick with my own chore list (you may have seen the fiasco that was my "15 minute madness" -- best laid plans of men and all that.....)

Friday, Week 45
NoSEating-S Day (Happy Birthday, United States! I had the best intentions to read the Declaration of Independence to my kids today--somehow that didn't happen!)
L: 1 piece of fudge, some leftover nachos
D: chips and dip and bean stew, 1 piece of fruit mousse
lots of wine
JustMoveIt-N Day
walked Cooper 1 hour
StrategicSpending-N Day
All Clear
KidsUnplugged-N Day
chore chart--check!
RaisingReaders-N Day
only about 15 minutes so far, the day really got away from me. And now my 8 y.o. looks SO tired. You should see him, face streaked with dirt and mud, he smells like a smoke bomb and looks a little like a coal miner. But he won't come in.... there are too many fireworks to still be set off!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:54 pm

Aww, I bet everybody slept well last night. We were at my son's house and the ten year old great grandson couldn't wait to put on his little fireworks show. :wink:
Berry

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:07 pm

Saturday, Week 45
NoSEating-S Day
B: coffee with cream, 3 ego waffles
L: tons of lemon pepper chicken
D: 1 piece of fudge, 2 brownies, 1 s'more
JustMoveIt-S Day
Rest Day
StrategicSpending-S Day
All Clear
KidsUnplugged-S Day
Chores working well for kids to earn electronics
RaisingReaders-S Day
Read 1 hour

Sunday, Week 46
134.5 (!) Wow. I haven't seen that number in months.

When I first saw the scale start to climb (from ~131) I thought it must just be my N Days that are to blame for any change. But this is where tracking is helpful. I just looked back on my pantry habitcal and saw that I have taken 3 NWS days and had 2 red days in a matter of three weeks! I think my N Days are increased as well (from the routine of work-days), but I hadn't realized just how many days I haven't been avoiding esses.

What concerns me further is that we are going out of town (again) on Wednesday, and I will be gone for 2 weeks. Clearly I am at a challenging point with my eating habits, and I need to avoid the WTH effect.

I will treat this summer like Reinhard sometimes recommends people treat the Christmas holidays: just don't gain!!! Well, I have already gained. But NoS halted my gain a year ago, and it can do it again now.

And here's something y'all should slap me about: I am fretting about not looking as "good" as I could have when I meet up with my relatives this coming week. Yes, I am fretting about 3 or 4 pounds! Can someone please just slap me? ..... Thanks, I needed that. :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

worth it

Post by worth it » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:21 pm

SLAAAAP!

Ok, you are human about the wanting to look "good" part. I know that you have said you wear somewhat loose clothing, so the good news is that many times you can wear something that will camoflauge some of that very small gain (only you will know it's there).

Just as calmly as you have reviewed changes to your No S habits over the past few weeks, I would encourage you to calmly think about other things that could be going on with that number with regards to water-retension, time of day that you are weighing yourself, etc. It could be that a 1/2 up to 2 lbs disappears over the course of a few days. Or maybe not. Either way, in the grand scheme of things, it is only a few weeks. Using that info, know that No S will get you where you need to go and this is a minor blip in a longer history of a downward trend.

I wish I could say just the right thing because I don't want you to panic as I have in the past and then self-sabotage.

Continue to be confident, logical and reasonable on this journey. I firmly believe you will continue your success with the passage of time!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:25 pm

hey auto, don't panic!

Just some thoughts on vacations, a while back I got some great advice about vacations on this thread.

You could treat this 2 weeks as fun and not worry about it, but it sounds like you've had (and will have) lots of stuff during the Summer, so you can't make it all an exception. 2 weeks out of town doesn't need to be a "throw your hands up and hope not to gain" event. You get to decide how you want to approach things. You're good at this and you've had lots of practice. You can do it!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:06 am

Thank you worth it and ironchef! Both of you gave me great ideas--and I loved reading through the vacation thread from 2 years ago! So neat to see so many names from today that were already wise back then! :)

So: N days as usual for the next two weeks; walking (20+ minutes is my goal) on N Days.

Sunday, Week 46
NoSEating-S Day
B: coffee wtih cream, eggo waffles
L: quesadilla
D: overate pot roast, mashed potatoes and corn
JustMoveIt-S Day
walked 45 minutes
StrategicSpending-S Day
Paid bills
KidsUnplugged-S Day
chore chart going strong
RaisingReaders-N Day
Haven't read yet today, but I think we will be getting a couple more chapters done in the Mysterious Benedict Society. Ironchef, some "new" greaties include Harry Potter, Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, and the Mysterious Benedict Society. When you do happen upon a modern "great one", it will be so fun for you, too! And irontoddler will be eager to read them to his kiddos!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:38 am

automatedeating wrote:So: N days as usual for the next two weeks; walking (20+ minutes is my goal) on N Days.
Excellent! I look forward to reading about your success.
Ironchef, some "new" greaties include Harry Potter, Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, and the Mysterious Benedict Society. When you do happen upon a modern "great one", it will be so fun for you, too! And irontoddler will be eager to read them to his kiddos!
I love Harry Potter, and own the whole series. I'll definitely be reading them to Ironbaby in a few years.

I'm interested to see how the "new" classics of today stand the test of time. I like a good, rolling storyline, but I also like a book that has great language. I thought Harry Potter was a lot of fun with all the invented words. A bit like Roald Dahl with "frobscottle" and "snozzcumbers". Ooh, there's another author I can't wait to read to my son!

A few years ago I re-read Wind in the Willows aloud to my husband and really admired the beautiful prose and lovely, flowing turn of phrase. E.g. "Spring was moving in the air above and in the earth below and around him, penetrating even his dark and lowly little house with its spirit of divine discontent and longing.†I like a book that can respect children's intelligence in the way it uses language.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:10 pm

Monday, Week 46
NoSEating-N Day
B: egg and toast, coffee with cream
L: nachos (beans, cheese, sour cream)
D: (will be) ham
JustMoveIt-N Day
walked Cooper 45 minutes
StrategicSpending-S Day
will go shopping for upcoming trip (camping food and a few other things)
KidsUnplugged-N Day
chore chart worked fine
RaisingReaders-N Day
nothing so far....
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:44 am

Good work on the N day, and the walking. This is the way!

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:29 am

Hi Auto!

Have a great trip :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:27 pm

Sunday, Week 48
I'm back from my 11 days of family reunion!

NoSEating and JustMoveIt: Summer Update

I followed NoS completely while on vacation; I only took one NWS day (the last evening of the family reunion).

I find myself feeling a frustration with not easily losing/maintaining. Amazingly (and unprecedented), my reaction is to feel ready to make some mods. Hmmm, I haven't felt like that ever in the past year. I have always felt mentally cheated at the thought of any restriction beyond the bare minimum of NoS. I think, just maybe, that I'm starting to come to terms with only "sometimes" eating breakfast on S Days, and only "sometimes" having snacks on S Days. I'm not sure if this is a passing phase, but I kind of suspect it'll turn out to be a lasting change, because I've been at this for almost a year without feeling like this. Either way, I've got it documented and can reflect back on this entry in the future.

I also feel that I know a little better the ratio of energy: exertion my body needs in order to stay fit, but not overdo my joints.

Basically, I can't eat the type of foods that I like (dense foods, larger meals) three times a day. On the bright side, I can do it 2X a day. I just have to skip breakfast (of course, plenty of coffee with cream). I think there are a variety of ways to accomplish limiting my calories, but this approach is the one I like best.

I also need to exercise to be able to eat the kinds of foods that I like. Walking seems to work fine for me at this age, but I have to do a lot of it to be able to eat my favorite meals.

So, my current situation allows me to regulate my energy intake, but I have trouble fitting in enough walking (and partly uphill walking) this summer. I have one dog to walk, but as it turns out, he is slow and tires within about 30 minutes.

KidsUnplugged: Summer Update

Each boy does 4 morning chores (I help the 5-yr old with most of his) in order to earn 1 hour of morning electronics. Then they have 4 more in the afternoon to earn 1 more hour of electronics.
I have found a great system to keep track of their chores. I wrote out about 25 different chores (and a variety of schoolwork assignments) on 1.5X2.5 index cards. I choose four from the pile each morning and put them on the fridge in the "To Do" column for each child. As they finish, they move them into the "Done" column. After lunch, I put up four more for the afternoon. It's the easiest system I've ever implemented for chores.

RaisingReaders: Summer Update

I aim for 1 hour daily reading. I take Saturday nights off. We just finished The Mysterious Benedict Society (Great book alert! Great book alert!), and are now a few chapters into The Cay.

StrategicSpending: Summer Update
I am not spending money Monday through Thursday. It also involves careful attention to our family budget (I did end up purchasing YNAB and I love it and highly recommend it). At this point, we are on track to go to California at Christmas! I have already purchased the airplane tickets, but we still need to pay for the hotel (only need a couple nights because we will be staying mostly with relatives) and the tickets and spending money.

I have started keeping track of the kids' allowances. I calculated how much money I already spend on the kids, then divided it up as "giving", "saving", "spending", "gifts" and "activities". Then, if we are out at the grocery store and one of them wants to buy candy, they can use their "spending" money (even though I actually make the purchase). When I buy a present for a friend's birthday party, the child will contribute from his "gifts" category. When we go to the fair next month, each child will contribute from his "activity" category. I keep track of the amounts in YNAB, my budgeting software. I enter their expenses in my budget just like I enter my own expenses. It's actually pretty easy to keep track of and doesn't cost me anything more than I used to just spend on them anyway. I recommend a book called "The No-Cash Allowance" if you are interested in reading more about how I am doing their allowances.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:59 am

Welcome back auto!

Firstly, credit where credit is due, well done on your holiday! If I'm reading correctly you actually lost a pound while on vacation - go you! Pre-No S, how likely is it that you would have ended a 10 day holiday a pound lighter? It's easy to be frustrated and look quickly to the next achievement, but don't forget to pat yourself on the back as well.

You've got a great No S habit, so small mods from here shouldn't be too tough. I'm sure I've said this before, but Reinhard's podcasts on tweaks and mods (35 - 37), especially #36, are a really great resource on the topic.

Thank you for the tip on YNAB. Although I haven't bought the system, I've gotten inspired to tighten back up on my own budgeting (I used to be much better at it). This in turn has gotten me organised to review our mortgage, and the end result is likely to be an improvement of about 0.75% on our interest rate, which could end up saving several thousand dollars a year. Even if I never posted about No S again, I'd be indebted (pun intended) to you and this board for pushing me in this area of my life.

Like eschano, just by walking the walk, you are changing other people's lives :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:50 am

You are workin' it great.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:11 am

Hi auto,

Well done on your holidays! I am in a similar situation regarding NoS and I think for me it is a matter of refocusing on fencing around the law. I used to be much stricter with NoS, what constituted an S and so on so I will be fencing around the law again :) I think in regards to mods: focus on one small change and make this change take out the biggest offender. I know I am not quite honest about my dinner plates so I will take out that offender!

As for your chore-system with your kids. I might just adopt the same system for myself! I always have lots of weekend tasks and tend to forget one or two! This might be my cure so thanks a lot!

I will also refocus on my spending. The last two weeks I went in and out of being quite sick so I look forward to this.

Thank you so much for being a great inspiration!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:47 pm

I think all of your systems sound great! As for your No S mods, I may have to do something similar. We are around the same age, and I know I certainly can't eat large meals 3 times a day anymore. Anyway, keep up the good work. :D

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:36 am

wow, thanks ironchef, oolala, eschano and clarinetgal! I really appreciate the support and encouragment.

Monday, Week 48
135.4 (hmmm, calm curiosity, calm curiosity, calm, calm, serenity now!) :)
NoSEating-N Day
L: 2 tortillas with beans and cheese
D: spaghetti and garlic bread
JustMoveIt-N Day
walked to and from work (yes, I have to work 3 days this week for a hiring committee I'm on)
StrategicSpending-N Day
All Clear
KidsUnplugged-N/S Day
chores and electronics all good
RaisingReaders-N Day
Update--actually did end up reading 30 minutes!
Last edited by automatedeating on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:48 am

Disregard the scale. I thought I had gained a kilo and turns out half of this has already dropped off from yesterday. So needless to say scales only get us so far.

By the way, I had to laugh at your description of the dog you are walking. My heart goes out to him! He's probably not used to get walked that far but he might get fitter as you go along.

Love your systems! Will institute SavingToBuyAMiniYacht today :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:09 am

It could just be a temporary fluctuation. I love your chore system! I think my almost 3 year old will be ready for a system like that in the next couple of years.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:41 pm

Tuesday, Week 48
NoSEating-N Day
D: ham, mashed potatoes and corn (note: piled plate too high)
It seems that I have been piling my plates very high the past few weeks. It reminds me a little of how I handled NoS in the first few months (the "fear" stage of experiencing hunger), and then how I've eaten during "hungry" phases. Currently, I wouldn't say I'm in a "hungry" phase--it's more like I've reentered the "fear" stage of avoiding hunger at all costs. When I was on vacation, I ate huge meals three times a day, all because I was afraid I'd get too hungry in between meals.
At ironchef's suggestion, I read the transcripts for Reinhard's podcasts about tweaking/mods. It was funny to see that he already had in there the possibility of 2 main meals/day (rather than three), and how he had a whole podcast about inventing your own systems. I avoided the "mods" podcasts this whole year, but I was finally ready for them.
JustMoveIt-N Day
walked to/from work (90 minutes)
StrategicSpending-N Day
All Clear. Also, my husband and I both just signed our teaching contracts for the upcoming year! This is the first year since 2005/2006 that we know what our income will be (since my husband is working full-time), and generally what our childcare needs will be (which is one of our biggest monthly bills!). It's exciting for me. I spend a few minutes every day fiddling with our YNAB budget (I like that software like some people like their app games! :) )
In other financial news, we are getting closer to being able to refinance. We're a couple of the schmucks that bought a house at the TOP of the bubble (moved in May 2007), and so we have been $70,000 underwater for all these years. However, I've been smashing away at our mortgage and the market has recovered a tiny bit, so I am thrilled to say we are now only $10,000 underwater!! This means that in another year, I am optimistic we can finally refinance out of our 7% interest rate!
Once we refinance (that's our 1-yr goal), then we will put that extra money onto paying off the rest of my husband's student loans (that's our 3-yr goal). THEN, we will hopefully and finally be able to start saving for kids' college. It might just be that they have to go to a community college (haha like the one I teach at). Then again, maybe they won't even want to go to college. :) Or their grades will be so bad we won't be willing to help out! Anyway, I hope I don't sound either a) too fixated on future plans, since no one knows what tomorrow brings; or b) just plain annoying when I talk so much about money. But it does make sense to me to plan, even though the future is always uncertain.
KidsUnplugged-N Day
Chore chart is working awesome! I think as a treat for myself, I am going to type up all the chores and get those tiny index cards laminated and glue magnets on the back.
The 8-yr old does all his chores without any help from me. The 5-yr old needs help with almost everything. I remember when my oldest was 5, he could do many of the chores without help already. It just goes to show, that even with only two kids, I have been way less effective with training the second. On the other hand, my younger son has a really great attitude about his chores and is a very detailed, good worker. The 8-yr old is intrinsically messy.....honestly, there's only so much I can do to fix his sloppiness. At least he does the work.....
OK, all that to say chore chart is working awesome. After morning chores, kids get an hour of electronics (I set kitchen timer). Same deal in the afternoon.

One challenge will be to transition the chores/electronics rules to fall quarter--September 15th when I return to work. I think the trick will be to have morning chores that are completed by the kids' independently, a way to enforce the electronics time..... (perhaps the time when my husband takes them to babysitters or school will provide a natural "end" to morning electronics); and a painful enough consequence for not finishing chores by the time I get home from work (no electronics...no playtime with friends.....extra chores or extra schoolwork).

Philosophically, wouldn't it be great if we could model and train "balance" for our children? A balance between earthly pleasures (electronics, eating, and playing), earthly responsibilities (chores and work), spiritual pleasures (singing, deep talks, and sharing/studying innermost beliefs), and spiritual responsibilities (sharing, giving, and sacrificing)?

RaisingReaders-N Day
Oops, truly did fail this time. At least my husband has been reading to them, though! :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:00 am

Wednesday, Week 48
NoSEating-N Day
B: mashed potatoes (fried up), 1 egg
D: taco salad
JustMoveIt-N Day
Fail...
StrategicSpending-N Day
All Clear
KidsUnplugged-N Day
Good day
RaisingReaders-N Day
Read 30 minutes already, hoping to get in a bit more later
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:23 am

Go auto!

It is interesting that you've been piling your plates high - I realised I've been doing the same, and for no real reason. I do still get that twinge of anxiety when I put together a smaller plate at dinner, but then I find it is fine. I'm not sure how many times I'm going to have to learn this lesson?

And hey, don't apologise for posting your thoughts and plans on the money stuff. I find it both interesting and inspiring! I think having some kind of plan for the future, while remaining somewhat flexible, is absolutely the way to go. I know that getting my budget in order has given me a lot to think about, not least of which is how to save up for my son's education and whether I need to think about *gasp* my own retirement...

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:39 am

auto and ironchef - I've been piling up too! I blamed it on my boyfriend's eating but I think the exact same happened to me that I stretched my stomach during my holiday and ever since eat more!

Auto, massive congratulations on being so close to refinancing! Money has so much to do with Eating. I don't know if this makes sense but maybe I can explain better: it is all about moderation! Eating, Consumerism, Sports: if done moderately they are all pleasurable, enjoyable, empowering! If done in excess all kind of horrible things go wrong.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:21 pm

Thursday, Week 48
So I'm not the only one piling my plates, eh? It's always reassuring to know that we have phases where we just want to eat more. And it's just that: a phase.
NoSEating-N Day
L: pizza and chips
D: chicken and bean soup, pumpkin bread (not sweet at all, tasted like cornbread)
JustMoveIt-N Day
walked to/from work
StrategicSpending-N Day
All Clear
My 8-yr old had a crown and a filling and overall we paid $700. Turns out we overpaid and I will be getting $250 back. Love it. :)
KidsUnplugged-N day
All Clear
RaisingReaders-N Day
fail. again. Basically in the evenings my husband and I have been watching a movie or show together every night and telling the kids to go play upstairs. I need to get my act together and recover some evening energy for reading!

Friday, Week 48
11 month NoS anniversary today. Not feeling too celebratory since I had to report a gain. Again. I used to be SO excited for the day when I could post my 1-yr testimonial! Too bad I didn't write one back in February, when I was stoked about my progress.
Reinhard describes different elements for a testimonial: time (10 months), weight loss (10 pounds) or percentage (10% lost). I have only met the time requirement. By that guideline, I could write a testimonial even if I had gained 10 pounds..... sheesh, now I'm just being cynical. I doubt my NoS experience is going to attract many new NoSers: "Avoid snacks, seconds and sweets on weekdays for a year and lose 8 pounds". Doesn't sound very cool, does it?
OK, rational self, please step up and counter. Rational auto says, "You NEVER joined NoS for rapid weight loss. You were looking for sustainability, and you were thrilled to even halt your weight gain." Thank you, rational self.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:27 pm

hey auto, I know you are bummed, but I really hope you do write a testimonial, and mention all your other awesome systems, your exercise consistency and you finances and so on.

Also, if you were previously gaining a sneaky, gradual 5 pounds year, then by halting gain and then losing 8 pounds you have actually changed your eating enough to get rid of 14 pounds! While eating all your favourite foods.

You've got a great year under your belt, and you're now considering whether some small tweaks will get you further weight loss without too much cost to life enjoyment. That's definitely an encouraging message.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:49 am

Hey auto

Just checking in on people today & wanted to know if you'd considered your not walking the cause of your couple pound weight increase? 90 mins is a lot of exercise low intensity or not.

I predict you'll lose what you've gained & continue to lose once school is back is back in full swing. Just a thought!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:56 pm

Hi Linda--Yes, I agree with you that not walking as much this summer could be the primary cause of my weight gain. I was worried about my exercise this summer, and that worry has proved to be valid. It's difficult. I realize more and more that my family has a WILDLY erratic summer schedule.

Saturday, Week 48
NoSEating-S Day
B: egg and toast
L: quesadillas, m&m mcflurry
D: salmon burger and baked beans, brownie and ice cream
JustMoveIt-S Day
walk with kids
StrategicSpending-S Day
just bought a few things--eggs, milk, and fruit. We're over-budget this month for groceries, so we are trying to not buy any other groceries for the next week.
We spontaneously bought 4 tickets to see Bill Cosby! We figured we've got to be able to find another couple to go with us.
KidsUnplugged-N Day
lots of chores, not much electronics today
RaisingReaders-N Day
finished the Cay
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:21 am

I've been having a hard time finding time to exercise this Summer, too. Have a great time seeing Bill Cosby! I used to love The Cosby Show, when it was on TV.

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:45 am

Hi Auto,

I completely agree with everyone else here. I think you would need to find an hour each morning to exercise and make it slightly higher intensity than walking to make up for the 90 minutes.

Also, maybe you can have a system for one or two N days without any fast food or any food that clings to you? I know that when I eat white rice I lose weight, while wheat based products like bread and pasta (mainly due to the other crap that's in there) it will cling to me more. If you know your foods it is way easy to experiment.

Keep up the good work - you're doing amazingly well!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:23 pm

Monday, Week 49
NoSEating-N Day
L: PB&J, popcorn
D: meat burritos
JustMoveIt-N Day
walked Cooper for 45 minutes
StrategicSpending-S Day
Went to the thrift store for much-needed shorts and shirts
KidsUnplugged-N Day
All Clear. I've modified their electronics again, mostly for simplicity: they can only use my iPad after morning chores. Afternoon chores can be followed by Netflix, but no more iPad.
RaisingReaders-N Day
Fail! My 8-yr-old had his first day of football practice. He was so tired I had to help him up the stairs. They ran him hard. 4 days a week/2 hours a day. Wow. My husband signed him up--I didn't realize it was so intense. Normally I'm against structured sports for youngsters, but I think I'm changing my tune with boys. Well, at least with THIS boy! :) He needs it, I think. He'll be too tired to be defiant, LOL!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:12 pm

Tuesday, Week 49
NoSEating-N Day
L: 2 beef burritos
D: tuna melts
JustMoveIt-N Day
walked Cooper for 40 minutes
StrategicSpending-N Day
All Clear
KidsUnplugged-N Day
All Clear
RaisingReaders-N Day
Fail.

Wednesday, Week 49
NoSEating-N Day
D: chicken curry with rice
wine
JustMoveIt-N Day
walked Cooper 40 minutes, then walked 20 minutes on my own
StrategicSpending-N Day
All Clear
KidsUnplugged-N Day
All Clear
RaisingReaders-N Day
Fail (I might as well just admit I'm taking a "sabatical" from reading!) :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:11 pm

Downwards again!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:21 am

Thursday, Week 49
Good point, eschano. I had not really noticed that my weight has stabilized again....and even drifted downward slightly. I was too busy feeling sorry for myself. :)
NoSEating-N Day
D: salmon burger and baked beans
JustMoveIt-N Day
walked 30 minutes
StrategicSpending-N Day
All Clear
KidsUnplugged-N Day
All Clear
RaisingReaders-N Day
20 minutes!!!! :) Small victories
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:29 am

automatedeating wrote:I had not really noticed that my weight has stabilized again....and even drifted downward slightly. I was too busy feeling sorry for myself. :)
Lol auto!

And well done on the reading.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:51 am

Friday, Week 49
NoSEating-N Day
B: bacon, egg, toast
L: pizza, peach
D: not yet
lots of wine at a party!
JustMoveIt-N Day
walked 2 different dogs for a total of 1 hour
StrategicSpending-S Day
Costco for groceries and gas
KidsUnplugged-N Day
All Clear
RaisingReaders-N Day
Yes! Read 30 minutes :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:09 am

Go auto! More reading, and continuing the downward trend. Nice work :)

Edited to add: Thanks to your example, and the YNAB tip, we've gotten all "responsible" and reviewed our budget and mortgage situation. As a result, we're going to move loans and save 0.7% on interest, plus about $200 a year on fees! I can't tell you how awesome that feels, purely from just (wo)manning up and being adults about our situation.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:30 pm

That's great, ironchef!
Saturday, Week 49
NoSEating-N Day
B: bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, toast, coffee with cream
snacks: chips, cantaloupe (at a party), watermelon
D: fettuccine, salad, lemonade, coffee with cream
dessert: frosty
snack: popcorn
JustMoveIt-N Day
walked dogs 1 hour
StrategicSpending-S Day
bought an ibook for $2.99 (Jodi Picoult), got frosty
KidsUnplugged-S Day
RaisingReaders-S Day
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:28 am

Sunday, Week 50
NoSEating-S Day
Emotional eating day!!!!!! I've had some .... stuff ..... going on, and I ate..ate...ate... today.
B: cheerios, peach, coffee with cream
L: chocolate milkshake and brownie, 2 snack bags of chips, 1 peach
D: not yet
JustMoveIt-S Day
StrategicSpending-S Day
Nothing so far
KidsUnplugged-S Day
RaisingReaders-N Day
30 minutes
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:02 am

Monday, Week 50
NoSEating-N Day
B: bacon and eggs, hashbrowns, coffee with cream, peach
L: 2 snack-bags of chips, peach
D: chicken stir-fry
Update: FAIL! I guess I am more internally rocked than I even understood (some stuff going on) because I distinctly was like, "I'm eating this bag of chips, and just try to stop me." Weird, rebellious feeling.
JustMoveIt-N Day
Walked dogs 1 hour
StrategicSpending-N Day
Fail! I downloaded another book by Jodi Picoult! I should have just waited until tomorrow and gone to the library!!! ergh
KidsUnplugged-N Day
All Clear, good stuff this chore system.
RaisingReaders-N Day
1 hour, can you believe it?!
Last edited by automatedeating on Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:38 am

Walked dogS? You found more? Brilliant!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:40 am

I have the same challenges with downloading books. Yes, it's very tempting. I'm glad the chore system is working so well for you! Great job on reading to your kids for an hour!

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:43 pm

I use the Overdrive Media app and download library books and audiobooks to my iPad and Kindle. Sometimes I have to wait a while for popular books, but there is always something to read while I'm waiting.
'I do think the way to a full and healthy life is to adopt the sensible system of small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything. Above all, have a good time.' Julia Child

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:22 pm

Haha yes eschano I found one more dog to walk, but only until the end of this week!

Dandelion, I should check out that app again.....I vaguely remember looking into a while back, but didn't make much progress with setting it up.

Clarinetgal, thanks for the encouragement. Sometimes days go by and I can not seem to get my act together with my kids. Honestly, my parenting gets a B on a good day, and a big fat FAIL on the bad days......

Wednesday, Week 50
NoSEating-N Day
B: cheerios
L: burger and fries at the fair
D: piece of leftover pizza
JustMoveIt-N Day
walked 30 minutes, with a bit of jogging sprinkled in!
StrategicSpending-S Day
Fair Day! Spent money on entry, rides, lunch
KidsUnplugged-N Day
All Clear, chore chart chugs along. I recommend having index cards (cut in half) handy for adding chores as needed! Nothing is too small when it comes to making it clear to kids! :)
RaisingReaders-N Day
30 minutes
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:22 am

Thursday, Week 50
NoSEating-N Day
B: coffee with milk
L: beef burrito and chips
D: tator tot casserole and chips
JustMoveIt-N Day
walked the dogs 1 hour
StrategicSpending-N Day
All Clear
KidsUnplugged-N Day
All clear
RaisingReaders-N Day
Read 30 minutes
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:29 am

Okay I gotta ask... What the heck is a tater tot casserole?

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:28 pm

Hi Linda! Tator tot casserole is ground beef, corn, and cream of mushroom soup topped with tator tots and baked for 45 minutes. Sorry to have to tell you..... :)

Friday, Week 50
NoSEating-N Day
L: PB& honey sandwich, chips, string cheese
D: burger and fries
JustMoveIt-N Day
fail/needed to rest my foot, which has been hurting for some reason.
StrategicSpending-S Day
Costco for groceries
McD's for dinner
KidsUnplugged-N Day
morning success and evening fail day (I let them watch TV even though they hadn't finished their afternoon chores).
RaisingReaders-N Day
Fail. oh, my. back to some serious laziness.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:58 am

I love tater tot casserole! I'll have to try making it, sometime! I hope your foot feels better soon!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:35 am

I had to google "tater tots" - I think something is sadly missing in my education!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:21 pm

I love tater tots. I'll have to try it! My kids will get a kick out of it!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:06 pm

Haha ladies, tator tot casserole is on the menu again next week: my husband requested it again! :)
Saturday, Week 50
NoSEating-S Day
B: cheerios, coffee with cream
L: 2 donuts
snack: nectarine
D: piece of pizza, salad
dessert: chocolate chip cookie
snack: popcorn
wine
JustMoveIt-N Day
walked dogs 1 hour
StrategicSpending-S Day
didn't spend anything
Having a bit of scheduling anxiety for the upcoming year: we are going to be spending nearly as much on childcare as we would to put the kids in private school! Gets me thinking, that is for sure.
KidsUnplugged-N Day
worked fine, but kids didn't get to watch TV last night because neither finished their afternoon chores
RaisingReaders-S Day
Read 1 hour
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:48 am

It's crazy how much child care is. My sister worked as a lawyer for a non-profit and all her paycheck went to the nanny. When her 4th child came along she quit till all her kids were in school full-time.

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:41 am

Hi auto, just curious - what do you define as childcare? You are home schooling the kids, right? Or maybe I got this horribly wrong! I am not sure. Sorry!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Skelton

Post by Skelton » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:46 am

what on earth is a tator tot? I understand the casserole part, but not the tator tot part.
"We stop looking for the better diet and start looking for a better life." pangelsue

Skelton

Post by Skelton » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:49 am

oh, ok I've just Googled it. Thanks ironchef :D
So they're like potato croquettes or small round hash browns?
"We stop looking for the better diet and start looking for a better life." pangelsue

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:52 pm

Skelton and ironchef, I'm so glad to have introduced you to yet another American fried food....the tator tot. :)

We DO homeschool, eschano, but that means gads of babysitters (at $10/hour) while my husband and I are at work. The kids stay with friends that are also homeschooled. This year it's looking to cost $160/week....... last year it was $80/week but now my husband will be working more.

I suppose I could try to pay the babysitters less money.....but I don't want to take advantage of them, and they are so wonderful I don't want to burn them out. Anyway, this is an on-going discussion in my head, because I love homeschooling, but most homeschooling moms are stay at home and aren't needing to budget massive amounts for childcare.

Just FYI, our local public school is unfortunately gang-overrun (yes, even the elementary school has lots of fights...knives, etc.). There is a better public school we could petition for, but it's a 30 minute drive and I'm not sure it's really all that much better. The private schools have less violence, but not much better academics. And there we are.

Sunday, Week 51
NoSEating-S Day
B: 1/4 donut, coffee with cream, bowl of cheerios
L: leftover tator tot casserole!!
dessert: frozen yogurt with our niece that is visiting
D: pot roast, corn, mashed potatoes
JustMoveIt-S Day
Rest day. Guys, my foot still hurts. I hope it's just because I've been wearing flip-flops all summer..... (not on my walks, mind you--just everywhere else)
StrategicSpending-S Day
Just Peachy frozen yogurt as a fun outing
car wash (fun for kids while we waiting for the niece at a gas station)
KidsUnplugged-S Day
No chores on Sunday, but they still could only use my iPad in the morning and downstairs; and only TV for a reasonable time-frame in the afternoon. And they still have to help me as needed!!
RaisingReaders-N Day
90 minutes!!
Last edited by automatedeating on Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:09 am

That is a tough decision! It sounds like, if you can afford it, homeschooling is the way to go. Do the babysitters homeschool your kids? The nice thing about homeschooling is you can customize it to your child's needs.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:21 am

Oh gosh so sorry about the lack of education options in your area. I can't remember what part of the country you live in but I'll definitely be a little more appreciative for what we have available.

Homeschooling does seem like a great option. I agree paying your babysitters less probably isn't a good idea. Good ones are not easy to come by! Remember this is temporary & at some point your kids should be able to handle a few hours home alone. My girls can do a couple hours in the day by themselves with no problem although we do set the alarm.

Hope your foot feels better soon. Where does it hurt?

Linda

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:49 pm

Hi Linda--Good point about them being able to stay home alone in couple of years. We only work 5 minutes away (which is why I can walk!), and we know several stay-at-home moms just a few doors away. Plus we live within sight of the fire station! Haha maybe I could leave my boys there.

Yes, clarinetgal, I do think homeschooling has lots of pros. When my oldest took his annual testing at the end of first grade, he was very behind. They were concerned that he had dyslexia. We just kept plugging along, and his reading blossomed in 2nd grade. This year his testing showed him just fine in reading. I suspect he might have been treated a bit differently in a regular classroom setting, and started to think he wasn't a good reader. At home, he never knew that he was behind compared to his peers. And now he isn't behind anymore. I like to think I preserved his confidence about reading through all of that, but I will never know for sure.

And just to plug my mantra: I believe boys are often not ready for formal schoolwork when they are 6 or 7. Some are, but many aren't. And then they and their parents go through a lot of stress and worry while they wait for the child to be ready (which I suspect is often 8 or 9 for many boys).

Monday, Week 51
NoSEating-N Day
B: bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, english muffin, coffee with cream
L: smoothie with yogurt, nectarine, banana, and blueberries
D: taquitos with beans and rice
JustMoveIt-N Day
walked the dog 45 minutes
StrategicSpending-S Day (niece visiting)
Walmart--socks for the boys and matching shirts for pictures
Chuck e Cheese--$20 worth of books
Mexican restaurant
Value Village--a few books
ANother book download!! What has gotten into me?! Talk about lack of impulse control.
KidsUnplugged-N/S Day
regular chores in the morning, but I let the kids watch TV when we got home from our long day without requiring chores..... especially since my niece is here.
RaisingReaders-N Day
30 minutes
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:22 am

Tuesday, Week 51
NoSEating-N Day
L: yogurt/fruit smoothie and PB&J sandwich
D: chicken with rice and broccoli
JustMoveIt-N Day
walked dogs 1 hour
StrategicSpending-N Day
All Clear
I'm reading that book I downloaded (paid for) yesterday and all the while feeling like a schmuck for buying it!!! Use the library, auto!
KidsUnplugged-N Day
All Clear
RaisingReaders-N Day
30 minutes
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:17 pm

Wednesday, Week 51
NoSEating-S Day (dear friend's birthday outing)
L: pizza and salad
D: popcorn, reese's pieces
margarita
JustMoveIt-N Day
walked 30 minutes
StrategicSpending-S Day
took kids to pizza place to celebrate end of Summer Reading program (the library gave them gift certificates
Petco for a couple of things I have to get monthly (it was right next to the pizza place and I had 4 animal-loving kids with me....)
movies (saw 100-foot journey with my friend--it was cute), paid for both of us
popcorn and candy and a drink at movies
margarita afterwards
KidsUnplugged-N Day/S Day
morning chores/electronics were fine; S in afternoon because I was gone and my older son had a friend stay the night
RaisingReaders-N Day
40 minutes
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:58 pm

Wow, auto, this is very interesting. I have a lot of confidence that you are able to make it work financially! Look at all the money you saved.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:55 pm

Thursday, Week 51
NoSEating-N Day
B: egg, bacon, cheese on english muffin, coffee with cream
L: chocolate milkshake: FAIL
D: chicken and corn
wine
JustMoveIt-N Day
walked 30 minutes
StrategicSpending-N Day
All Clear
KidsUnplugged-S/N Day
I only assigned afternoon chores since they had had a friend stay the night
RaisingReaders-N Day
Read 45 minutes

In preparation for my 1-yr anniversary, I tallied up:
red days: 4 (all since month 10)
NWS days: 24
= 2.5 days a month that I was eating freely apart from weekends
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:40 pm

Friday, Week 51
NoSEating-S(ick) Day
L: pizza, breadsticks
D: chocolate milkshake
why is it I always crave chocolate milkshakes when I am sick?
JustMoveIt-N Day
walked Cooper 30 minutes
StrategicSpending-S Day
ordered a delivery pizza, of all things. My, what has come over me lately?
KidsUnplugged-N Day
All Clear
RaisingReaders-N Day
45 minutes

Saturday, Week 51
NoSEating-S Day
L: leftover pizza
D: snickers bar, licorice
wine
JustMoveIt-S Day
rest day
StrategicSpending-S Day
bought junk food at my son's football jamboree
KidsUnplugged-N/S Day
did normal chores in the morning, but couldn't in the afternoon--football jamboree
RaisingReaders-S Day
read 40 minutes
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:57 pm

Sunday, Week 52
NoSEating-S Day
B: 2 English muffins, hashbrowns, eggs (totally stuffed, ate way too much)
L: chocolate milkshake
D: can't remember....
wine
JustMoveIt-S Day
Rest Day
StrategicSpending-S Day
Don't think I spent any money...
KidsUnplugged-S Day
No Chores, semi-free electronics
RaisingReaders-N Day
35 minutes

Monday, Week 52
NoSEating-N Day
L: beef burrito, rice and beans, a few tortilla chips, diet coke
D: beef burrito
wine
JustMoveIt-N Day
Fail
StrategicSpending-N/S Day
Exception to take new employee to lunch
KidsUnplugged-N Day
All Clear
RaisingReaders-N Day
Fail
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:16 am

Hi auto , wow!! Sometimes my jaw just drops at how much you have accomplished, and not just once but regularly across so many challenges, you are awesome :)
I really need some of your resolves and example to help me establish some good order in my life and accomplish the things I need to change. So I am trying to add some challenges, especially money wise like you have as I really need to cut my spending down in case I can't get on top of my illness and have to retire early on lot less money.
I really hear you about book downloads, oh my goodness books are my comfort and salvation. I must look into some new ways of getting my books. The library is good where I am. But I also read yesterday about someone who read through their own bookshelves all over again. I don't know if you have books in the house but I do, so may try that!!
Hang in there you are truly inspirational - keep it up :) :)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:23 am

Hey auto so good to see you keep on keeping on! Noticed you've been quieter lately & hoping it's due to your busy schedule rather than feeling burnt out or discouraged. Been there for sure though!

Speaking of books, I noticed amazon has unlimited kindle for $9.99/mos. not sure if it's cost efficient or not but thought about looking into it.

Anyway hope all is well!

Linda

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:46 pm

Tessy--thanks for the encouragement. I have been feeling the opposite--actually--a big fat failure lately.

Linda, you bet I am discouraged. Not hopelessly so, but I'm struggling. I've been mulling things over a lot, and I am trying to figure out how to write my 1-yr testimonial next week without making everyone that reads it think NoS is not much to brag about. I've come to a certain amount of peace, though, and I think I'm arriving at an OK place now.

Wednesday, Week 52
NoSEating-N Day
L: too busy
D: tortilla chips, steak fajitas
JustMoveIt-N Day
walked around my work campus all day (hours)--I am setting up a back-to-school scavenger hunt for staff......
StrategicSpending-N Day
Fail, I guess. My husband and I met up for dinner after a hectic day. He was going to pay like usual, and then he had to leave quickly with a melting-down 5yo. :) So I paid. Fail-worthy, I guess.
KidsUnplugged-N Day
1/2 fail. On days that I work, or a lot else is going on, it is super difficult for me to enforce 2 sets of chores (morning and evening). I know that's what was typical in the old days for kids....but I think when I officially head back to school, I am going to need to pare back my expectations (on me, that is!)
RaisingReaders-N Day
25 minutes
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:59 pm

Totally understand auto! I didn't even bother to write a testimonial. I feel like I've learned so much about myself this year but really feel like I need another good year for concrete results. It's been an interesting journey if nothing else.

For the record you've been an inspiration to me & many others on here.

Hang in there and big *hugs*.

Btw, so cool about the scavenger hunt.

Linda

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:49 pm

I have not written a testimonial either!! I thought it unwise. I see myself as a work in progress :lol:
If it's any comfort. I have two grown up boys who have families of their own now. Getting them to do chores was always a struggle, although I persisted but sometimes had to scale down my expectations. I felt at times it was more important to get on! Anyway, they both cook, clean, change nappies etc etc so some of it must have sunk in eh:-)
Hang in there auto, you are doing well in lots of ways.

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:46 pm

I think you guys should write testimonials! NoS is always a work in progress - it's progress, not perfection. Just because you're discouraged now, doesn't mean anything. Everyone goes through rough periods. But, you're sticking to NoS. I'm sure if you really start to look back, you'll see big changes. I mean just think back to your vacation, you lost a pound ON VACATION!!!! Not many people can say that, and I'm sure you didn't even stress about eating much, too. That is HUGE! And you've been doing this for a year - you've built such great foundations with the habits.

I am nowhere near where you are, but I already feel so much better about food, like I can relax (most of the time) and not have to worry about it. I feel like I've accepted myself more and am just generally happier with where I am - I wouldn't have that without NoS.

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:28 am

Hi auto, I do think what you mentioned on my thread, about spreading your willpower thin might be one thing. I felt a bit depleted after a while. However, it goes up again as well :)

As for your testimonial: definitely write it down, even if it's just for your thread and not the testimonial page. It's good to know exactly where you are so in one year's time you can see what you're accomplished.

Otherwise, wait for a different milestone. 1 year on NoS is just one of many possible reasons to post on the testimonial page.

I think - maybe take a week off and just do nice things for yourself. You might find you have new energy for all your systems afterwards.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:41 am

Hi Auto. I think eschanos idea of a weeks break is a good one. Your changes are lifelong so a weeks holiday would be just that. A break from the everyday. I am finding just stopping trying so hard with everything is really helping me to settle and relax, but is not affecting my resolve at all. In fact it has given me space to reassess where I am and what I really want to achieve and how. You have such brilliant plans in place, they will still be there if you have a little holiday, but you may feel renewed and refreshed afterwards to carry them through. Just a thought :)
Have a good day :)

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:21 am

Not much to add to everyone else's sound suggestions, except to say that you inspire me, even if you don't feel very inspirational at the moment. Reading about your systems has created the spark for really positive changes in our family, from more money to less screen time.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:57 pm

Thanks, everybody.

It's funny; I just had declared to the boys that they are on "vacation" for the next week--no chores--and then I read the idea about taking a week off. So I am embracing that idea. One week of no accounting--no food accounting, no movement accounting, no spending accounting, no electronics or chores accounting, and no reading accounting. It might be interesting to see if I have more fails without reporting everything. I have only missed a couple days of reporting in an entire year. Wow.

I do plan on writing that testimonial, DAMN IT! I have not stuck with this for a year to hide on the check-in thread. LOL!!!!!!!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:49 pm

Of course you should! Losing 8 lbs when your already at the low end of your weight range (a weight I'd kill for btw) is no small feat. Not to mention how many difficult parent dilemmas you've been able to solve oh yeah and saving a ton of money on top of it all.

Aren't most diets costly & time consuming and make you eat weird often unappetizing foods? Don't most diets leave you too depleted to focus on other important parts of your life? Don't most people give up after a few months or even a few weeks only to gain it all back plus some?

Hmmmm I'd say your the poster child for NoS and an inspiration for all.

If you're learning along the way you need to take some breaks & not overdo it with the systems, well that's great feedback for the rest of us!

Look forward to reading your testimonial.

Linda

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:59 am

I second everything Linda said! I'm sure taking some time off will really help.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:03 pm

LOL, girls, I spent the weekend eating and have no intention of writing it all down. :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:08 pm

OK, I'm going to work on my testimonial and keep it here on my check-in thread, too, so it will be in two places. Forgive me while I work on it. Edits surely coming.

Here is my copy and paste from 6 months complete (written Feb. 25th)
*NoSEating is solid. I know my first red day will eventually arrive, but now I am not quite so freaked that I will give up and quit on that day. I have failed at NoSitting, NoSpending and NoScreening and I keep on with those habits. Even coming close to success is an improvement over not trying!

There will be some hunger before meals. I get hungry about an hour before I eat, but it is usually easy to distract myself (for example, I type on here, I go outside with the kids, I read a book, or I lay down for a few minutes). However, the hunger is not bad. When I feel it, it doesn't terrify me anymore. It's uncomfortable, but at the same time, anticipatory (for the good meal that is coming). Once I distract myself from snacking, I often forget all about food and then I hardly feel hungry once I sit down at the table. Once I start thinking about food again, then I feel hungry again.

So much of our hunger is psychological and routined. For example, I eat lunch at 12 and then I work and often don't "feel" hunger until I think, "hmmm, wonder what I'll eat for dinner?" Then my stomach growls!! Another piece of evidence: on rare occasions, I've had to miss a meal or eat much later than expected. I found that hunger would build until maybe 1 hour after the usual mealtime, then wane!! My body had accepted that it wouldn't be practical to act "hungry" until the next mealtime rolled around. I am trying to say that WE CAN TRAIN OUR BODIES SUCH THAT THEY GET HUNGRY AT MEALTIMES, AND NOT OTHER TIMES!!!! Wow, that's awesome and sure emphasizes the value of routined eating habits and NOT being a grazer.

My children are not allowed to snack (very much) anymore, either. And I have seen them change from whining and thinking they'll die because they are so hungry (so they say) to them find ways of distracting themselves until dinner. You know what they usually do to distract themselves? Go back outside and play some more! Talk about "killing two birds with one stone": greater activity and less disordered eating, plus they are learning skills that will serve them the rest of their lives!

Even at my hungriest meal, I now know that a regular-sized meal will satisfy me. Weird, but true. I don't need to eat a LOT more when I feel a LOT more hungry. It's not directly proportional. I guess our hunger is the ultimate squeaky wheel, and we can be so convinced we're starving that we pile on the food. That said, I am a BIG supporter of piling the food on in the beginning of NoS! Eat until you're stuffed and can't believe how much you shoveled in. Smile It helps to alleviate the fear of feeling hungry between meals. Over time, without ever purposely working on it, you'll look at your plate one day and be astounded that such a regular amount of food can do the trick. Just three times a day.

My stats are beautiful to me because they reflect the gentle sustainability and efficacy of NoS. I've lost about 1.5 pounds a month, with a couple plateaus. I'm down 8.5 pounds in 6 months. I'm a normal BMI now. Six months ago I had a tentative goal of dropping to 130 by August of 2014. That goal is no longer a big deal to me. Rhythm and routine to eating are my reward. I feel so .... connected..... with my body and its needs. I feel like my spirit and my body are in agreement and are working together like a married couple. My body and spirit are very different from each, but they complement one another in function, given the chance.

NoSpending update: I am so glad I started this! It has transformed my budget. First, it curtails frivolous spending. Second, it brings structure to spending days and requires list-making and organization to fit spending into the weekends. Third, it eliminates the egregious offenders that tend to suck money and PUT ON WEIGHT: lattes, and fast food (I was guilty of McDonald's or something similar on a regular basis).

NoScreeningKids has found its groove. I had to tweak this system quite a bit to make it work for our family. The critical ingredients ended up being simple: a morning "start" time for electronics, a "mid-day" break from electronics, and an evening "stop" time. Then chores, outside time and errands keep the whole weekend from being a binge for the boys. My own electronics use has found a pattern, too, without me even formalizing it (although I am thinking about formalizing it soon)---no computers for me after dinner on the weekdays. No computer for me after 8am on weekends or before dinner (it flips, basically, for me on the weekends....)

And, just a recap, here was my natural progression:
Month one: just NoS
Month two: added in walking to work
Month four: added in a daily plank, and developed other "systems" for finances and electronic use for my two kids (ages 8 and 4)
Month six: added in Reinhard's productivity index cards (he explains these in podcasts 42-44), and trying to read more to my kids
Month seven: I've started mulling over the idea of working on my negativity--my fear of death, rejection and failure. Stay tuned.
Smile
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:28 pm

OK, so I reposted my 6-month update from February 25th. Now I'm thinking about the entire year in review.

One Year Of Automated Eating (this is posted on the testimonial board, too, I just like having it on my main thread to refer back to)

About Me: I am married, and have 2 boys (8 and 5) that we (sort of!) homeschool. My husband and I both teach full-time at our local community college. We do not have family nearby and finding decompression time is hard. I have used food to feel better at very tired and overwhelmed times. Generally, I have an upbeat personality, but parenting young children while working full-time has maxed me out. Although I had been active when younger, an increasingly sedentary lifestyle, high stress, and overeating had led to a 25-pound weight gain since having children.

I love NoS, it has changed my life in so many ways. I take more time for myself now, and parent better than I did a year ago. My finances have been revolutionized by the NoS approach.

I believe that NoS is the keystone habit that gave me the power to change my life. The success I found with building the NoS habit cascaded into other disordered areas of my life.

Stats: 5'2'' female, 37 years old
Starting Weight: 142
Current Weight: 134
Current BMI 24.5
Pounds Lost in One Year: 8

Notable Red Day History: First Red Day was June 17th, 2014 (after 10 months of NoSing), but this was followed relatively quickly by 3 additional red days. So a total of 4 red days in 2 months after 10 months of no red days! Obviously I've been struggling the last few months. I almost didn't want to post my testimonial because I feel like I've really gone backwards. That said, I have been NoSing for a year. So this testimonial is here for others to see one person's bumpy journey.

NWS Days: In my first 10 months, I only took NWS days for 2 or fewer days/month had no fails.

Style: Vanilla NoS with lazy fast-food way too often.

Weaknesses: Eating too big of a plate at restaurants; don't enjoy veggies; hate cooking

Special Struggles: Coming to terms with not needing to eat as much as I want to eat; dealing with emotional fall-out/rebelliousness from being an over-zealous health-nut in my 20's.

Frequently thrive with: just creamy coffee for breakfast and 2 main meals on N Days; always keep track of red green and S days on my pantry calendar.

Weight Maintenance appears to hinge on: Daily Walking. I gained 2 or 3 pounds this summer (from 131.5 to 134), probably from a combination of not walking as much and eating out too much.

And About That Walking: For much of this past school year I didn't give much credit to my 90 minutes of walking (4 days/week). However, as soon as I stopped (in June), I gained weight! So......don't discount gentle exercise.

Weight Maintenance appears to also hinge on: keeping red or NWS days to 2 or less/month.

Current Issue: I am having a hard time coming to terms with the .... deprivation..... that may be necessary for me to be svelte. I struggle with feeling jealousy toward the many women that achieve a much lower BMI than I just using Vanilla NoS. I resent that I need to eat food that I don't love (e.g. steamed veggies and giant salads) in order to be thin. And, I may just be deciding that I am OK with not being thin, then. Stay tuned, I guess, for next year's update.

A shout-out to this awesome forum:
*The wise friends I have made on the check-in thread have supported me for the past year. Thanks jw, eschano, Linda, ironchef, worthit, NoSnacker, Tessytwinkle, clainetgal, Oolala, Dandelion, StrawberryRoan--and all the other great encouragers on the Daily Check-Ins.

Thanks to NoS (e.g. Reinhard), my creative thinking about how to manage my life blossomed this year. Introducing:
JustMoveIt: walk to work 4 days/week
StrategicSpending: Don't spend money Monday-Thursday. This led to me purchasing YNAB software, which I LOVE and highly recommend. It also has led to us saving enough to be able to go to Disneyland with our boys this Christmas!
KidsUnplugged: The current version of this consists of morning and afternoon chores that my boys must complete (I use index cards on the fridge that they move from the To Do to Done column) before using electronics.
RaisingReaders: I try to read 30 minutes or more 6 days/week to my boys.
Index Cards: Based on Reinhard's Foot Soldier and Officer cards, I use one card/week to keep track of my to-do list; and on the back keep a growing shopping list that I complete on Saturday morning.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:48 pm

I loved your testimonial! I think you have done great, and I think it's good that you are authentic in sharing your struggles. Too many testimonials just give glowing reviews of how great a system is, and the person never shares his or her struggles, which makes the program seem unattainable to the average dieter (I'm not applying this to the No S testimonials, but I am referring to testimonials I have read in a number of diet books and fitness literature).
I totally get you on feeling deprived, sometimes. We are close in age and height, and I am finding I can't eat what I want anymore, either.
I love how No S has spilled into other areas of your life! Where can I find info on Reinhard's cards that you mentioned?
Thanks for the mention, and I'll definitely keep checking in on your thread. :D

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:51 pm

Auto you are an inspiration indeed! I think your testimonial is fantastic and it's great how you already found the reasons for the negligible weight-gain you had! (walking + eating out).

Enjoy your week off and can't wait to hear how you're getting on!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

worth it

Post by worth it » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:19 pm

Auto-

I LOVED your testimonial, especially in the areas of "style", "special weaknesses" , how you "thrive" and the observation about gentle exercise and how your walking has affected your progress.

You are truly an inspiration and I want to thank you for sharing so much of yourself through your posts.

Finally, I loved your comment about how you may not be willing to compromise your eating preferences to fit into a particular mold that some women just "naturally" fit into. Now THAT is true progress and inspiration for all of us!

Worth it

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:06 am

auto, thanks for such a wonderful and insightful testimonial.
automatedeating wrote:Current Issue: I am having a hard time coming to terms with the .... deprivation..... that may be necessary for me to be svelte. I struggle with feeling jealousy toward the many women that achieve a much lower BMI than I just using Vanilla NoS. I resent that I need to eat food that I don't love (e.g. steamed veggies and giant salads) in order to be thin. And, I may just be deciding that I am OK with not being thin, then. Stay tuned, I guess, for next year's update.
This is such an interesting question to me - when health is not the issue and we are into the realm of aesthetics, how much of my life and energy am I prepared to commit to achieving or maintaining a specific, currently-fashionable body type? About 5 years ago I got big into weight training & distance running and was very focussed on eating "clean", logging food, etc. I got to a weight several kg lower than my current weight and with less body fat and more muscle. However, it was a LOT of effort - 6hrs+ intense exercise each week, lots of food prep, turning down meals and treats with friends and family. I think I kept it up for about 6 months, then crashed and burned. I can't imagine I'd ever be able to do that much intense effort while parenting and holding down a job. I compare that with my current way of eating and exercise level, which I feel like I could happily continue for life.

I'll be really interested to read your thoughts on this over the next year.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:37 am

Yay!!! I love this and think it'd be a great template for other testimonials. I hope you see how much you've accomplished now that's it's all down on "paper" so to speak.

I also appreciate your honesty about your struggles but agree with iron. Thinness does not equal happiness no matter what it looks like from the outside. What we're really wanting is whatever we think we'll suddenly gain from being a certain weight. That's the thing we want & usually can be achieved without losing a single pound.

On the other hand I think we can all relate to your frustrations.

Anyway, you've done great & should be proud of all your hard work and discipline.

Linda

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:19 pm

You gals are great! Clarinetgal, eschano, worthit, ironchef and Linda--thank you all for your encouraging comments on my one-year check-in.

Linda and worthit--thanks for commenting on my "template". :) It's the teacher in me--I have to outline everything!

Ironchef, when I was 25, I joined WW and went from 126 to 106 in 10 weeks. I became a vegan and worked out excessively. I don't talk about this much, because I think I'm ashamed of my yo-yoing. I gained back to 115 and stayed there for 3 years until my first son was born. It's been uphill weight patterning ever since. Wow, I don't think I've ever written about that on this thread. I guess I still have skeletons in my closet (and in that case, I looked like a skeleton at 106!). I have a lot of "junk" bound up in my thoughts about that time in my life--maybe that's why I eat so much "junk" now, since I haven't dealt with that emotional fallout effectively yet. LOL, I need to stop with the metaphors.

Linda, spot on with your thought about weight and happiness not being a direct correlation. In fact, when I was at my lowest, I think I shed more tears than at any other time in my life. I was dealing with not being as likeable a teacher as I wanted to be; and more seriously, I was dealing with massive marriage troubles. And now, with a little meat on my bones (hehehe), my husband and I have better .... oops, censoring.... a better relationship than we ever did when I had no gray hair or wrinkles, and my hip bones stuck out!

Clarinetgal, I think my next "journey" may possibly be to find a semblance of eating that allows me to be energetic and not feel deprived. Ah, life's journeys. Each of our lives consists of dozens of separate little journeys that join up to make our one big life journey.

OK, so I'm back from my week of no check-in. Good things happened. I felt a burden fall from me. It was glorious to not be accountable for anything. :) And then I got a burst of energy and worked quite a bit in the yard. I also revised some of my microbiology lab instructions to really make the labs better for the students (I believe so, anyway!) and I made some contacts with massage therapists to come lead my anatomy students in some activities; got 2 massages myself!!!!!! (I have a nasty knot under my left scapula--weirdly painful and problematic).

And, what I'm most excited about--for the first time I'm replacing cat dissection in Anatomy (for muscle identification) with having the students build the muscles with clay! I found a couple education articles that found students that build the muscles with clay actually performed BETTER on muscle exams; AND critical-thinking than students performing traditional dissection. So that is going to be a fun direction to move in with my teaching.

Today I am reorganizing all the homeschool stuff. We'll start tomorrow. I have a few new plans for this, too. I am going to expect my 3rd grader (!) to be more independent, but I am using a few ... "enticements" to help him stay motivated. :) My 5-yo is really too young for K, but he knows most of pre-K material. Suffice to say I'll start very gently with a reading curriculum, but I am not going to have any real agenda or goals with him this year. I waited until 2nd grade to really make my first son buckle down, and I'm glad about that. My take at this point is that most boys aren't ready for formal schooling (meaning, more than 10-15 minutes of seatwork) until they are about 8. That said, my older son is incredibly active, so maybe most boys are ready when they are younger than that.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:27 pm

automatedeating wrote:I'm replacing cat dissection in Anatomy (for muscle identification) with having the students build the muscles with clay!
Hi, automatedeating- I wish I was in your anatomy class! That sounds so much more pleasant than the smell of formaldahyde while handling a dead cat!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

worth it

Post by worth it » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:05 pm

Auto- You're back!

I missed your updates- You sound playful and ready to take on the next challenges life has to offer!

I loved the insight into your own classroom and also the insight on home-schooling. Since I have a 4 yo son, it's so good to have your vantage point and thoughts on their readiness based on your experience. It's so reassuring!

Glad to have you back.

Worth it

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:55 pm

Y2, W2, Tuesday
NoSEating-N Day (and a tough one)
Today was my first N day since last Wednesday. I took S Days for family visiting, then for Labor Day, and I was THIS close to taking one again today so I could make a milkshake. On "shaky" ground I am.
B: leftover pizza, coffee with cream
L: leftover chicken fettuccine, apple slices
Snack (FAIL): few more apple slices. At this point I decided I WOULD make a chocolate milkshake, darn it! Then somehow I realized I'll survive without one.
D: not yet .... will I make it through the day?
Made it: beef ravioli soup and toast

Other systems are on hold until work starts back up again (September 15th). I'm just going to start Year 2 tracking NoS eating, just like I did Year One! Back to Basics, I guess.

Oh, and BTW, I'm PETRIFIED to get on the scale.
Last edited by automatedeating on Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:04 am

Yay--so glad to see you back & energized! I think it's a good reminder that we can all benefit from a nos break from time to time.

Thank you for sharing about your past eating/dieting struggles. I had no idea you had gone through a dark period of sorts.

I'm glad you were able to recognize the fact that ones weight and one's happiness aren't necessarily correlated. I think in our society, it's really hard to give up the desire to be a certain weight, but doesn't mean we have to act on it. In our more logical moments we can see it makes a lot more sense to take a more fruitful path to happiness.

Anyway I love all the creative energy thats coming forth after your much needed break. I can really imagine how much I would learn from actually creating a muscle rather than just looking at one. Wish I got to do that when I was in school!

Totally agree with you about school not being accommodating to young boys (and high energy girls like my daughter). I felt like Montessori school was a bit more conducive to those personalities though so that was nice. As far as the reading goes I love that you're not hurrying them into it. At the first preschool Zoe went to, the teacher told me she was concerned that Zoe wasn't reading better-um she was four at the time! Pulled her from that school fast & she's a great reader now btw.

Great to see you back & Whatever you weigh, you'll handle it!

Linda

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:01 am

Auto, Great to see you back! It sounds like taking the week off really helped. I love your ideas for your class. I think you're right about boys needing more time, before they're ready to buckle down and learn -- which is why in the case of my younger son, I'll probably wait until he's at least 4, before I put him in preschool.
That was an interesting story, about your years of doing WW and being vegan. It sounds like you have found a lot more balance since then.

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:58 am

Oh auto, you seem your up-beat self again :) I needed a bit of a more substantial break so if you notice you do - take one (within limits).

I vote: don't get on the scale! There is absolutely no need. I didn't when I took a break and have now vowed to weigh myself much less. You will be walking again in 15 days and then give it another month before weighing. But that's my 2 pence.

I love the idea about building muscle. Would like to be there too.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:37 pm

Yes, don't beat yourself up. The scale is just a number - it doesn't define you! You're already back on track - one small slip up but it didn't turn into anything more, great job! I hope today is easier.

I've been on vacation and had like 12 S Days in a row... We'll see how today goes getting back on track... So far, so good.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:55 am

Lovely to hear from you again, and second the recommendation to avoid the scale for now.

Wow, I can relate to your struggles in your 20's. After being around 140 pounds for a long time, I went up to 160 after I got my first desk job. Two years later I started my love (-hate) affair with calorie counting and I've been up and down through a 40 pound range at least 3 times since then. My lowest weight was around 123 pounds / BMI 18.9 (during my weight training / running / clean eating phase). I haven't really posted about it here, as a big reason I began No S was to leave all that behind.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:55 pm

Hi Everybody--thanks for encouraaging me to avoid the scale. I haven't weighed all week, and have just focused on having a normal week. I definitely think I've gained, but oh well, I will chug onward.

Eschano had said something about just focusing on making changes to only one meal a day, if I do make the choice to change up what's on my plate. I think that's a great idea that is not too overwhelming. I will ponder that.

Y2, W2, Wednesday
L: taco salad

Y2, W2, Thur
L: chicken and avocado salad

Main news this week is the start to the homeschool year. Hard to get back in the swing of things, and even harder for my 8 year old. I really feel different this year, like 3rd grade is a seriously important year to take advantage of: kids that are finally old enough to get through the work; and lots of topics (times tables/geography/writing/grammar/great literature) that really needs to be mastered this year.

In the same vein, childcare has been a bear. Last year I had two primary babysitters; this year I have three. My sisters have teased me that I am going to need to color-code my schedule, or I will end up going to pick up my kids at someone's house only to discover that they are on the other side of town.

Also makes walking to work tricky. Every other Monday I will definitely NOT be able to walk (kids' pickup conflict), so I think what I can do is 20 minutes of weight-lifting or plyometrics or something. Any suggestions for strengthening my trapezius? I think much of my back pain is actually because my traps are over-stretched out and weak. To simplify my thinking (so I don't have to remember which Mondays I walk), I might just make Mondays my weight-lifting day.

Pull-up would be great for my back strength.... The problem is I doubt I can even do one......
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:19 pm

A pull up doesn't have to be your full body weight with you standing - you can pull the top half of your body towards a low bar or table while you lie on the ground. Like this.

If you have some hand weights (or anything heavy and liftable), you can do shrugs, standing rows, bent over rows and flyes. For ideas, I really like Exrx.net.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:52 am

Good job on not weighing yourself. I think I will be joining you in taking a break from the scale. I hope you get your child care figured out. I have done a lot of subbing in 3rd grade classrooms, and I agree it's an important year. I second ironchef's suggestions on the exercises. For stretching, child's pose is really good for stretching your upper back. Upright rows would be another good weight lifting exercise, but you need to be really careful to lead with your elbows, when you're doing them.

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:42 am

I like your Monday strength training idea. And you can still walk the other days!

Seems like you're on a great path again. Just wait until you are back in your routine - the pounds will come off again.

And for home schooling - sounds like a lot of work but also very worth-while and a bit more fun once you can get into the more advanced work.l
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:09 pm

Hi everybody--
I'm going to lift weights and push it hard on the elliptical for a total of 20-30 minutes on M/Th. Tues/Wed. I'll be walking to work.

Have stayed green, but ate a lot of fun stuff over the weekend.

Still haven't weighed in!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

eschano