Everyday Systems
Home * Discussion Home
No S Diet * Shovelglove * Urban Ranger
HabitCal
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterJoin! It's free and easy. 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

automated eating tracker
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: automated eating tracker Reply with quote

I have finished one 5-day stretch of N days. Today is my first S day. I am going to try and remember what I ate this week.
Monday: bacon and eggs and nectarine; bean and cheese tortilla/nectarine; steak
Tuesday: bacon and eggs and nectarine; bean and cheese tortilla/nectarine; chili with lots of toppings
Wednesday: bacon and eggs and hashbrowns; nachos; chili again
Thursday: bacon and eggs and nectarine; yogurt and bread and pico de gallo; meatballs/mashed potatoes/green beans
Friday: bacon and eggs, toast and little bit of blueberry smoothie; yogurt and bread/chips and pico de gallo; cheese ravioli/chips and pico de gallo

Saturday!: Frosted mini wheats (so far, it's only 7am!)
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: First s days Reply with quote

Saturday: frosted mini wheats, zuchini bread, meatballs and fried potatoes with onions, diet coke, wine, coffee with cream
Sunday: zuchini bread, 2 brownes, chocolate ice cream, corn tortillas with meat, and veggies; chips and salsa, diet sprite, wine, coffee with cream

Ugh, first S days finished. Here's to my second green week and some less embarrassing meals
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Monday morning Reply with quote

Weight 141
Breakfast: bacon and eggs, toast, coffee with milk
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Monday Reply with quote

B: bacon and eggs, coffee with milk
L: nachos with cheese, beans, sour cream, and salsa
D: salmon, potatoes, and onions for dinner; wine after dinner
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.


Last edited by automatedeating on Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Tuesday week 2 Reply with quote

Tuesday, week 2
142.8. Grrrrr
Coffee with milk
Bacon, eggs and toast
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Tuesday contd Reply with quote

Tortillas and beans for lunch
Pizza for dinner
Wine
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Wednesday part 1 Reply with quote

142.2
Oatmeal and coffee
Starving right now, can't wait to eat at lunch.....meeting up with a friend so not sure what the food situation will be!
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Wednesday part 2 Reply with quote

Lunch: panini and salad
Diet sprite
Dinner: chicken nuggets and chips and salsa
Diet rootbeer
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Thursday, week 2 Reply with quote

142.3
Coffee with milk
b: oatmeal
l: nachos
diet root beer
d: spinach mozarella ravioli
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.


Last edited by automatedeating on Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jw



Joined: 05 Jul 2013
Posts: 844
Location: PA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am giving your method a try this week, automatedeating -- it is genius! I really like eliminating all the "now what do I want?" food thoughts for breakfast and lunch. I've been eating from the same pot of soup all week at lunchtime and it is very satisfying. Thanks for the idea!
_________________
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Friday, Week 2 Reply with quote

141.5
B:oatmeal (didn't finish..), coffee with milk
L: tortilla casserole
Diet sprite
D: pizza and chips with pico de gallo
Wine

I can't believe tomorrow is an S day already!!!
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Saturday, week 2 Reply with quote

140.6
Coffee with milk
Blueberry muffins
Chips and pico de gallo
Spinach mozarella ravioli
A birthday party: 1 bite of cupcake that I didn't like....gave it to my son!
Chocolate ice cream
Wine
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.


Last edited by automatedeating on Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wosnes



Joined: 18 Sep 2006
Posts: 4166
Location: Indianapolis, IN, USA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jw wrote:
I've been eating from the same pot of soup all week at lunchtime and it is very satisfying. Thanks for the idea!


That's what I do, too. I make a pot of soup and eat it for lunch until it's gone. Then I make another pot of soup. I almost never make the same soup twice in a row. The main exception to that is corn chowder in the summer. I often make that over and over while the corn is good. It's next up (again!).
_________________
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tobiasmom



Joined: 05 Oct 2010
Posts: 1332
Location: Honolulu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Soup Reply with quote

I actually bought "Williams-Sonoma Soup of the Day" because of your post on automated meals. I plan to make my big pot of soup today for the week and try a few each week! I also got a bread maker cookbook for some nice bread with the soup! I'm tired of standing at the fridge at lunch wondering what to have while I'm starving Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wosnes



Joined: 18 Sep 2006
Posts: 4166
Location: Indianapolis, IN, USA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Soup Reply with quote

tobiasmom wrote:
I actually bought "Williams-Sonoma Soup of the Day" because of your post on automated meals. I plan to make my big pot of soup today for the week and try a few each week! I also got a bread maker cookbook for some nice bread with the soup! I'm tired of standing at the fridge at lunch wondering what to have while I'm starving Smile


Automatedeating -- sorry for hijacking your post.

Another good soup cookbook is Mr. Sunday's Soups by Lorraine Wallace.

Look on my post for more on soup.
_________________
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Sunday, week 3 Reply with quote

140.0
Juice
Coffee with cream
French toast, eggs and bacon
Filet mignon, stir fry rice and veggies

Ugh, I feel overstuffed from eating out tonight. Yuck, hate this feeling.
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.


Last edited by automatedeating on Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kittykat150



Joined: 10 Feb 2013
Posts: 192

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm noticing that weight number creeping down....good for you Automated!
Kat Laughing
_________________
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Monday, week 3 Reply with quote

142.3 (ha ha Kat, I'm right back where I started! But thanks for the encouragement.)
Coffee with milk
B:2 eggs
L: chicken and rice
A few swallows of a latte that I decided I didn't want after all! I put in in the fridge to save for tomorrow.
D: pizza
Wine
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Tuesday, Week 3 Reply with quote

140.1
coffee with milk
B: whole milk latte
L: tortillas and beans/cheese/sour cream/pico de gallo
D: burger and fries
Wine

noticing: The hardest part of N days for me is planning and eating 3 regular meals. My old tendency was to snack simply because it was easier than fixing a regular meal, not due to wild cravings. My favorite thing about S days is not having to plan meals....and not subsequently feeling bad when I snack instead of eating a regular meal!

Going out to dinner tonight, hopefully I will do it No S style with ease. Smile
Update: burger and fries for dinner were delicious.
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Wednesday, week 3 Reply with quote

140.4
B: 1 egg, 1 piece of bacon
Coffee with milk
L: tortilla with beans, cheese and pico de gallo.... This was a small lunch, hoping it will tide me over until dinner.
Diet sprite
3:30 hungry
D: breaded halibut, pinto beans, peanuts, milk

Today is probably the hardest day so far...... All because I didn't have a big breakfast and lunch.
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Thursday, week 3 Reply with quote

140.7
Coffee with milk
Granola cereal
Cheeseburger and diet Pepsi
Baked potato with all the toppings
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Friday, week 3 Reply with quote

140.5
Coffee with milk
B:string cheese
L: tortillas with beans and cheese

Day 1 of the 5.2 mile walk/scoot to/from work. If I log 8 more days like this between now and October 4th, I am rewarding myself with a new kickscooter for my birthday.
Noticed that exercising today made me hungry!! Can't wait for dinner! Growl, growl belly.

D:

21 day club, here I come!
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

142.3
Coffee with milk
B: blueberry muffins
Yogurt
Corn chips
Peanuts
Want ice cream, I thnk I will go buy it!
Peanut butter mixed with chocolate chips....ugh, this sounded much better than it ended up tasting
1 hard candy piece
Small spinach salad and cucumbers
Small amount of chocolate ice cream
Wine

Interesting, I haven't enjoyed my food today. In fact, the most pleasant food memory was my coffee this morning. Now, if I wasn't so lazy I would have planned ahead and had some yummy stuff on hand today.

Some of my favorite foods: pico de gallo, sourdough bread, and full fat Greek yogurt; ice cream stirred until it's a milkshake......I'll have to make sure tomorrow is a better s day (meaning, more yummy foods!)

A friend suggested the Ideal Protein diet to me. Discouraging to not have her support my own slower approach to weight loss. It should be noted that in the last 8 months (or so???) I had been gaining weight. So stopping the snacking has clearly halted my weight gain, and I think that's important!

Tomorrow I join the 21 day club! Yes, I very proudly started the diet on a Sunday, my husband and I both got a kick out of that. Smile
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Sunday, week 4 Reply with quote

21 day club!
141.5
Coffee with milk
Donut
Half ham and cheese sandwich
Granola bar
Few bites of yogurt
chocolate ice cream stirred into a shake
bowl of doritos
2 pieces of stuffed crust pizza, yuck
1 brownie
2 glasses of milk

headed to a neighbor's house to watch a football game. Pizza and brownies, here I come! Oh, man, I feel stuffed and gross. Fantastic S day (sarcasm, of course). I'm GLAD tomorrow is an N day, can you believe that?
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Monday, week 4 Reply with quote

143.3
First day of work!
B:Granola and milk
L:Various salads (potluck at work)
D:steak fajitas
Wine
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.


Last edited by automatedeating on Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jw



Joined: 05 Jul 2013
Posts: 844
Location: PA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Pizza and brownies, here I come! Oh, man, I feel stuffed and gross. Fantastic S day (sarcasm, of course). I'm GLAD tomorrow is an N day, can you believe that?"

Yep! I had pizza and brownies yesterday, too, went to bed feeling too full, and I am glad today is an N day! Have a great week, automated!
_________________
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Tuesday, week 4 Reply with quote

142.2
Coffee with milk
B:Yogurt and granola and an orange (work breakfast)
L: Salad and chicken and potatoes (work lunch)
Completed day 2 of walk/scoot to work!
D: Tuesday night is date night for my husband and me, so we went out. Giant bacon cheeseburger and fries......technically one plate, but y'all know how full I felt after that feast.
Wine
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Wednesday, week 4 Reply with quote

142.2
Coffee with milk
L: top ramen and some grapes
D:pizza and apple slices
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Thursday, Week 4 Reply with quote

141.9
B: 1/2 an apple
coffee with cream
L: 2 packets instant oatmeal
Diet Coke
D: Roast beef sandwich and chips
wine
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Friday, week 4 Reply with quote

141.7
coffee with cream
B: bacon, eggs, and toast
L: pizza
Diet coke
D:
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Saturday, week 4 Reply with quote

141.2
S day! Ok, folks, this weekend I am not going to go crazy like I did last weekend. Last night I dreamed about giant maple bars piled high on a table, but it wasn't an s day. I had to turn my back on them. Definitely a first for me to dream about food like that!!

B: Frosted mini-wheats
coffee with milk...here's another new thing I'm noticing..... sometimes I drink so much coffee that I feel overfull. That is the case right now. Not sure if my stomach has shrunk, or if I just used to ignore this overfull feeling. My husband is baking some coffee cake for our S day right now and the thought of eating it is totally unappetizing.

I have read a lot of Kathleen's (Blessings of Simplicity) entries in the last day or two and I find myself kind of depressed. She has not been able to change her habits. I want to be able to change my habits. I want to stick with this. I want to honor my commitment to ordered eating.

A positive difference I have noticed since I have been doing No S is that my kids are eating much better. Fewer snacks available for me, means fewer snacks available for them! Then they actually eat their dinner, what a surprise! I find myself saying, "Don't ruin your appetite for dinner!" or "It's good to build up an appetite, you'll enjoy your dinner far more!" They groan, but hey, it's making a positive difference in their eating habits.
L: nachos with steak that I put on there because my husband wanted us to use it up. It didn't sound that good, then it didn't taste that good, now I am full but still wanting something. I feel angry when I cheat myself out of an enjoyable meal. Think I will take a bath.
D: pasta with red sauce and salad
Ice cream with chocolate syrup
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.


Last edited by automatedeating on Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jw



Joined: 05 Jul 2013
Posts: 844
Location: PA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also read Kathleen's thread a few weeks ago -- I noticed she did lose well when she stuck with No S and she ran into trouble when she changed things up. She has many interesting insights, but most of the time she's not doing No S, as her online friends have pointed out to her.

Don't be discouraged! You have been very consistent and disciplined about building your habit of three plates of food a day. I notice you varied the "automated" part a bit, but that's OK! I would suggest you read oolala's thread -- she started just like any of us and has been at this for almost four years with stops and starts and red days and has still maintained a healthy BMI for a long time now.

Good luck! Keep on doing what you're doing!
_________________
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks, jw, for the words of encouragement. I know this is going to be a long journey and it will grow patience in me, if I let it!

Sheepish grin here: I never really committed to eating the same meals every day, I was kind of just admiring my dad (and others) that do that and envisioning a day when that is my pattern. Also, since I started No S in summer, my schedule is all over the place. I actually start teaching again tomorrow, so we'll see if my meals start being the same from day to day. I would love that, but right now I have one main focus: No Sweets! No Seconds! No Snacks! Except on S days. Smile

For me, at this point, "automated eating" means regular mealtimes.

Thanks again for your support. I love this message board. Smile
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jw



Joined: 05 Jul 2013
Posts: 844
Location: PA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! then I guess your dad is my role model! you did have a long stretch of tacos and pico de gallo for lunch, though. And I am continuing my automated routine of a weekly soup for lunch -- this week it's pinto beans, veg and sausage in a beef/tomato broth. Whatever makes the routine work, I say! Have a great week --
_________________
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Sunday, Week 5 Reply with quote

142.2
coffee with milk
Frosted mini wheats
Yogurt and a little soup
Took my 4 yr old to Costco and ate samples! Garlic bread, chicken taquito, milk. Then took him to see's candies and picked out some treats. Only bought 6 chocolates (well, also some chocolate coins my kids always pick out, but they are NOT a temptation to me!)..... Enough to share with hubby. So we both ate three when I got home while watching football: toffee, peanut butter patty, and California brittle. I really enjoyed them!
Tomorrow going to walk to work. There and back is 5.2 miles. It's too rainy to ride the kick scooter.
This weekend has been much nicer than last weekend. I like not stuffing myself.
I'm considering foregoing the scale. I've realized in this month on NoS that these habits are so important to me. Even if I don't lose weight, I'm confident that I won't gain living like this. And I know that I want to sustain these automated eating habits forever. I am going to allow myself to not weigh everyday now...... If I do step on, fine, doesn't mean I have to religiously record it here unless I feel the urge. And the truth is, the way my clothes fit is a clear indicator of where my weight is. Sadly, the reason I finally started NoS is because all my size 10 clothes were getting uncomfortably tight.
Ok, now I'm having some Doritos but I have to say, I am really enjoying them!
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Monday, week 5 Reply with quote

140.4
Walked 45 minutes
B: oatmeal
Coffee with cream
L: tortilla with beans and cheese and an apple
Bought a latte then decided to save it for tomorrow morning
D: lasagne and bread (haven't actually had this yet, but it's in the oven!)
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Tuesday, Week 5 Reply with quote

141.1
Walked 45 minutes to work
B: oatmeal
coffee with cream
L: tortilla with beans and cheese
Diet Coke
D: burger and fries and Long Island ice tea

Interesting thoughts in my head tonight about what I chose for dinner. I was very hungry, and looking forward to my Tuesday night date night with my husband. I was torn between the spinach/chicken/fruit/nut salad and a burger and fries. I mentioned this to my husband, and he thought it was silly that I'd even consider the salad, because it would not fill me up. Well, I'm here to document that I am OVERFULL from the burger and fries, and I am sure I would have felt perfectly satisfied by the salad. note to self, it was good learning experience....I'll do better next time.

The walking thing is fascinating. My mind came up with OODLES of reasons why I shouldn't walk to work: 1. too far; 2. too dark; 3. too dangerous; 4. too much time away from kids; 5. too much sweat; 6. too much of a pain to change at work; 7. too much time away from work; 8. too much rain

See? Wow, I finally had to just say: No excuses. No exceptions. No way am I not going to do this! I am urban ranger and hear me roar!!
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Wednesday, week 5 Reply with quote

141
Walked to and from work (90 minutes)
B: whole milk latte
L: tortilla with beans and cheese and an apple
D: minestrone soup, 2 pieces buttered toast, blueberries

Second day in a row I was ravenous between lunch and dinner.
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Thursday, Week 5 Reply with quote

140.2
walked to/from work (90 minutes)
B: oatmeal
coffee with cream
L: 2 tortillas and beans and an apple (ate more today because I was so hungry between lunch and dinner the last 2 days!!)
D: meatballs and mashed potatoes
Note: two tortillas at lunch definitely did the trick today! I think possibly 1 and a half might be perfect, I'll try that out next week.
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Friday, Week 5 Reply with quote

140.3
B: 16 oz whole milk latte
L: 1.75 tortillas with beans/cheese and 1/4 of an apple
Diet Coke
I am hungry....
I am eager for S day this week. I scrolled back through my posts and remembered that last Friday I didn't even eat dinner! I was still too full from having pizza for lunch. Today, I am definitely hungry. And, for the first time since I started eating 3 meals a day, I am craving some junk. Chips sounded tempting as a snack.
D: Mexican food
wine

OK, I have been thinking about the "What the hell" phenomenon that Reinhard addresses in one of his podcasts. I realize this is my problem with exercise. You name an exercise fad, and I've probably tried it. The only exercise I have consistently stuck with (for 7 years, actually) was walking. Everything more intense was short-lived. Then I'd give it up completely; indeed, I would avoid whatever the newest fad had been. Weird psychology. When my dog died 7 years ago, I stopped my daily walks. Interestingly, that was when my firstborn was about a year old, and getting harder to keep quiet in a stroller. So, no more walking. Crazy sedentary busy life; disordered eating; it all crept in steadily, insidiously, powerfully. And, what do you know, I've gained almost 15 pounds in those 7 years.

So, I've chosen walking as my exercise yet again. It's the one type of exercise I've stuck with in my adult life. Perhaps I can do this again. No excuses. No giving up. Sticking with it. Forever. Way of Life. No other options.
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Saturday, week 6 Reply with quote

141.8
Coffee with milk
Grapes
1/2 a yogurt
Full breakfast: bacon, eggs, hashbrowns and toast
Walked 45 minutes with my four year old (he rode his bike)
Took a nap!
Bowl of vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup
Now eating chips
Ok I have definitely had enough S's for one day......moderation is before me. I reach out, I grab it, I smile that I have taken care of myself and not eaten anymore today out of boredom or pleasure-seeking. I put the bag of chips away.
D: turkey, stuffing, potatoes, corn, gravy

I want to beat the odds. So many of us lose weight then gain it back. My theory is to go so slowly with my weight loss, and so gently with my exercise, that my body doesn't ever think, whoa! Drastic change, let's reestablish homeostasis!! Instead, each small loss or body movements will have time to become the new "normal" so that my body doesn't rebel strongly against me on the cellular level. Smile
1 pound a month. That's my goal. 12 pounds in one year. My commitment needs to be forever, but i know i need shorter term goals, too. Basically, one month at a time. I am focusing on the habit. October challenge is on! My identity about food will be that I am not a snacker, and I don't eat sweets during the workweek. My identity about my activity will be that I am a person that walks to work, that takes her time getting to work.
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Sunday, Week 6 Reply with quote

141.7
2 maple bars
coffee with milk
3 mini-starbursts
walked with boys (they rode bikes) -- not too far because it is so rainy and windy today.
minestrone soup and 3 pieces of buttered toast
It's only lunchtime, and I feel like I've eaten a LOT of food.
Ummm, so then I had pizza (too much) for dinner
Diet coke
Wow, this has been quite the s day. Not horrendous, but I think this type of eating has been fairly normal for me for many years. It begins to stand out to me as chronically full! I ate that third piece of pizza because it just was tasting so good! It was purely fueled by pleasure seeking. Or perhaps escapism....it's been a long weekend with my kids, especially my 4 year old. Right now I just want everybody to leave me alone. Hmmmm, I wonder if I'm on to something here. I wasn't happy to be trapped with my kids (shameful, but oh so true) so I decided to eat something yummy. I wonder what emotion that is......anger?? Pent up anger that I don't get to have any time to myself, so I figured I'd get some pleasure through overeating? Fascinating. Ok, so what could I do the next time that happens? Well, I probably should try to have to time alone to prevent mommy burnout. But there's no perfect cure to that, so I need to deal with the temptation when it hits me. When I crave the taste of a food in my mouth after my belly is TELLING ME PLAINLY THAT IT'S SATSIFED I need to recognize that I am at a point of decision: choose to feel good when I go to bed because I didn't overeat, or choose to feel overfull and gluttonous after dinner and even into the next morning.

How much time do I need alone? How much time do I need socializing with other women? I have essentially zero of each in a given week (worse, the time I take to type something like this I can usually hear kids yelling, and see messes I need to tend to). Anyway, some me time would be great. And some time with friends would be great. I never thought that carving out that time could actually help prevent overeating (and perhaps it won't...this is just a tentative idea).

I am reading a book called: The Willpower Instinct. So far it's quite interesting and recommends the following for sticking with healthy changes:
1. be aware of our willpower challenges. As much as we can learn about the why and when (triggers, etc) for overeating or for not exercising, the more likely we are to plan ahead for success.
2. meditate daily. Even as little of 5 minutes of mindful breathing increases willpower throughout the rest of the day.
3. Practice slow breathing when faced with a willpower challenge.
4. Exercise
5. Sleep
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.


Last edited by automatedeating on Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tessytwinkle



Joined: 09 Dec 2012
Posts: 608

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love your posts they always give me something to think about. Thanks for the willpower tips. I love walking too. It is the only exercise I have ever really stuck to. Keep walking, breathing through the challenging times and meditating. Change will come I am sure. Have a good week
Tessy
_________________
Starting again and hoping this time to succeed. Starting weight 31/12/16 is 210lbs, hoping to lose 10% = 21lbs ( or 1stone 7lbs).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Monday, week 6 Reply with quote

141.5
Walked to/from work (90 minutes)
B: Oatmeal
Coffee with milk
L: 1.5 tortilla with beans and cheese and an apple
Diet coke
3:20 and I feel a little hungry, but not too terrible yet. I think I should have had 2 tortillas for lunch!
D: lasagne and bread and a little milk
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Tuesday, Week 6 Reply with quote

141.1
walked to/from work (90 minutes)
B: oatmeal
coffee with milk
L: 2 tortillas with beans/cheese and an apple
D: not yet, but it's date night and last week I overate by ordering too big of a meal. I want to watch that tonight.
D: chicken Caesar salad! Smile I turned down the more giant meal, knowing the chicken salad would fill me up. Yay!
wine
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Wednesday, Week 6 Reply with quote

141.5 ergh I have very low weight loss rate goals, but I am still not even meeting them. To stay on target (1 pound a month) I should be 140 by October 25th. It doesn't seem to be going down that way. On the other hand, with such normal weight fluctuations I have, it's hard to see the overall downward (hopefully) trend. I need to not focus on weight loss, I need to focus on habit. 3 plates a day. no sweets, no snacks, no seconds.
Walk to work
B: whole milk latte
L: panini, soup, carrots,apple slices
D: not yet, but plan to have spinach mozarella ravioli
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.


Last edited by automatedeating on Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eschano



Joined: 18 Jul 2012
Posts: 2458

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Automatedeating, don't panick!
I had a couple of months at a time plateau-ing for no obvious reason and similarly mysteriously my weight then suddenly dropped between 2 and 3 pounds and stayed there. I had three such plateaus within one year. Two lasting 2 months and one lasting 3 1/2 months (at which point I nearly threw in the towel and I'm so glad I didn't because my weight dropped so much afterwards).

If I dissected my eating habits, my hormone level, and my frequency of movement there probably would be a reason but I love about NoS that I never have to think about any of those as long as I stick to the habits.

Focus on the habits, not the weight - it will get there - your body needs time to learn that this isn't a diet and that it's not being starved.
_________________
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

Started July 2012
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Thanks, eschano! Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement. I was really needing that today.
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Thursday, Week 6 Reply with quote

141.9
walked to/from work (90 minutes)
B: coffee with milk
L: 1.5 tortillas with beans/cheese
D: not yet, but I am so hungry! It's only 2pm. It's as if there is some serious fiddling I have to do to avoid being either too hungry (today) or not hungry enough (yesterday). I guess skipping breakfast (which is ordinarily only 1 or 2 packets of instant oatmeal) really can make a big difference in my hunger. And even the difference between 1.5 and 2 tortillas for lunch. Well, and I guess yesterday I had an apple with 2 tortillas..... anyway, it certainly takes some daily experimenting to find what works.
D: unsatisfying butternut squash soup and some chips
wine
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.


Last edited by automatedeating on Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:04 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jw



Joined: 05 Jul 2013
Posts: 844
Location: PA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me add some encouragement -- digital scales drive me nuts! All scales fluctuate from day to day and even hour to hour, but seeing that little .04 when yesterday it was .03 is just depressing! My mother gave me a great old-style scale a few years ago -- really big numbers for my myopic eyes and no tiny increments to ruin my day. You're doing great, automated -- hang in there!
_________________
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tessytwinkle



Joined: 09 Dec 2012
Posts: 608

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JW is so right. I got new scales a while ago which had digital numbers and little increments, terrible and very depressing. Now I don't weigh at all!
I know you can figure this out. You are doing really well overall you just need to find your balance food wise. We are on a journey to find ourselves. It's a foreign county in many ways. Keep searching and you will find the right path for you. I cannot manage without breakfast I wish I could but it only makes me a ravenous monster later. Hang in there we are rooting for you
Tessy
_________________
Starting again and hoping this time to succeed. Starting weight 31/12/16 is 210lbs, hoping to lose 10% = 21lbs ( or 1stone 7lbs).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jw



Joined: 05 Jul 2013
Posts: 844
Location: PA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Birthday, fellow October baby! I was thrilled to see that I shared a birthday with the founder -- this diet is made for us! Enjoy your day!
_________________
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Friday, week 6 Reply with quote

139.6. The first time I have "fluctuated" below 140!!!! And on my birthday.
B: whole milk latte and 1/2 a donut a coworker gave me for my birthday. I didn't really want it, but at it because I didn't want to hurt her feelings!
L: not yet
Movie, ate popcorn.
D: we are going out to dinner to celebrate..... Of course this gets to be an S day, my first non weekend s day since I started 6 weeks ago.
Had fish tacos and shared an cream dessert with my hubby. Good meal, not overly stuffed!
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.


Last edited by automatedeating on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lpearlmom



Joined: 02 Aug 2013
Posts: 3246
Location: Arizona

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Happy birthday & congrats on seeing the scale move in a positive direction for ya!


Linda
_________________
Lost 45 lbs

Instagram "lpearlmom"


Last edited by lpearlmom on Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Tessytwinkle



Joined: 09 Dec 2012
Posts: 608

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great birthday. The shape of things to come Smile hope you had a lovely luscious dinner. You deserve it. Have a good weekend.
Tessy
_________________
Starting again and hoping this time to succeed. Starting weight 31/12/16 is 210lbs, hoping to lose 10% = 21lbs ( or 1stone 7lbs).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Saturday, week 6 Reply with quote

Didn't weigh this morning!
B: OJ, coffee with cream, small pumpkin muffin, hard boiled egg, banana, one piece of buttered toast.
L: chicken noodle soup
D: chili, chips, and veggies with ranch
Ice cream cake
Wine
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Sunday, week 7 Reply with quote

Didn't weigh again. Weird.
B: bacon, eggs, toast and hashbrowns
Coffee with milk
L: piece of ice cream cake and a few chips
D: lentil soup with chicken and a piece of toast
One more piece of ice cream cake (thank goodness it's gone now that Monday is upon me!!!)

I have a new system to implement. I need to spend more time focused on my kids when I am with them. I am considering a habit in which i focus for the first 14 minutes when I get home on one of my boys (depending on the day, only one of them is home when I get home). I don't know, maybe I'm not ready for a new system. I changed my eating habits, I'm adding in exercise, maybe it's too soon to try this thing with my kids. I don't want to overextend my fledgling willpower!
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.


Last edited by automatedeating on Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eschano



Joined: 18 Jul 2012
Posts: 2458

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess, you can always reign it in if it's too much but you'll find that once the other two systems are firmly in place you suddenly have all this extra time to focus on other things anyways.
_________________
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

Started July 2012
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Monday, Week 7 Reply with quote

142.0 nice, right back to that same ole' number, what do I expect after THREE pieces of ice cream cake this weekend!!!????
walked to/from work (90 minutes)
B: coffee with milk
L: Tortilla with beans/cheese/yogurt
D: lasagne with bread, few sips of milk
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.


Last edited by automatedeating on Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wosnes



Joined: 18 Sep 2006
Posts: 4166
Location: Indianapolis, IN, USA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Monday, Week 7 Reply with quote

automatedeating wrote:
142.0 nice, right back to that same ole' number, what do I expect after THREE pieces of ice cream cake this weekend!!!????


I doubt that three pieces of ice cream cake made you gain since Friday. I'd go for water weight.
_________________
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Tuesday, Week 7 Reply with quote

140.4 (maybe you were right, wosnes, and it was just extra water weight...)
walk to work (45 minutes)
B: oatmeal
L: tortillas/beans/cheese/yogurt and apple slices
Today i dealt with two or three temptations to go buy a latte. Not that there's anything wrong with that if i was really hungry, but i wasn't! it was clearly my mind's efforts to deal with stress (which i had oodles of today, 'nuf said!)
D: chili with cheese and onions, 1 fish stick, a few fries
Wine
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jw



Joined: 05 Jul 2013
Posts: 844
Location: PA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

automatedeating, so glad to hear your extra pounds have disappeared! I got on the scale Monday -- what a mistake! -- after two S days, plus an extra S day last Wednesday, I was up five pounds! But it was very muggy here, and my S day snacks were salty -- by today, four of those pounds are already gone and by Friday, I think I'll be back where I started. We need an emoticon for "whew!"
_________________
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jw



Joined: 05 Jul 2013
Posts: 844
Location: PA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS The recommendations you made on Tessy's thread were so good!
_________________
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Wednesday, Week 7 Reply with quote

140.7
walked to/from work (90 minutes)
B: coffee with cream
L: 2 tortillas with beans/cheese/yogurt and 1 apple slice
D: potato soup and a salad and a diet coke

As the stress of work is climbing this quarter, I find myself thinking more and more frequently of comfort foods (McDonalds, lattes, etc). Hmmm. Need to think of a way to deal with these cravings.

Good news and bad news about walking. Good news--because it's not an intense workout, it doesn't seem to make me super hungry, and it doesn't give me that after-workout glow that makes me think I deserve a huge meal. Bad news--walking isn't intense, so it probably isn't going to help me lose much weight. Alas, it is a good habit, one I am determined to build.

I just had a great realization from a comment someone posted: the holidays can be N days, at least for the most part. There have been years in the past when I snacked so much that by the time thanksgiving dinner rolled around , I wasn't even hungry. Not this year! I am going to work up an appetite for that feast and enjoy it. I am actually looking forward to this! Smile
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tessytwinkle



Joined: 09 Dec 2012
Posts: 608

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're doing plenty of walking 90mins may not help you lose weight but it will improve your overall health and well being, as you say a habit worth cultivating. I think the idea of an S event, rather than and S day on special occasions is really helpful, look forward to it and enjoy, it will be a delicious treat, but will not feel like a full day blow out! Work stress is very difficult to deal with, good luck and quell those thoughts Laughing
Tessy
_________________
Starting again and hoping this time to succeed. Starting weight 31/12/16 is 210lbs, hoping to lose 10% = 21lbs ( or 1stone 7lbs).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Thursday, Week 7 Reply with quote

140.2
It's as if my body's "set point" right now is 140, and it is very reluctant to move below that. I feel like these weeks of NoS are like when we do a stretch.... pushing, pushing down, gently, gently persistent. If I could "talk" to my metabolism, I'd talk to it like it's a skittish animal (or a stubborn mule).... "It's OK, you're going to be OK, I won't let you starve, don't slow down on me, keep coming along, you'll like this eventually".
Walked to/from work (90 minutes)
B: coffee with cream
L: 2 bean/cheese/yogurt tortillas and some kombucha
D: 2 pieces of pizza and 1 breadstick
Wine

Food tip (I never have these, so this is exciting for me!!): I put plain greek full-fat yogurt in my tortillas. It tastes a lot like sour cream, but of course has lots of Lactobacillus in it (which I'm always happy to get more of in my diet).
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Friday, Week 7 Reply with quote

139.6 (2nd fluctuation below 140)
B: whole milk latte
L: turkey and avocado sandwich/tortilla soup
D: toast with butter
wine

Weird day. I didn't really have a breakfast, then when I got home from work around 12 noon I was very hungry and anticipating soup. We all went out to eat, but didn't get food until about 2pm. I was so hungry, I started thinking about eating things/snacking/sweets, temptations that haven't bothered me much on N days for the past month and a half. I think this might mean the 'honeymoon' of No S is fading for me. I am scared but steadfast, doubting but determined, discouraged but diligent, slow to change but sure of my habit, tired but tenacious.

Someday this will be just part of who I am--the weird part will be having an interest in snacks, seconds or sweets during the week.

I want to change so badly. I want to be a moderate eater. I have been eating moderately since August 25th. The problem is I am excruciatingly aware that most dietary changes don't stick long-term. I am painfully cognizant that most weight loss doesn't last. I'm on this forum for the social support that I know will help me experience lasting change. I look forward to a time when I don't have rely on a daily check-in, but that time seems so distant I can't really imagine it yet.
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tessytwinkle



Joined: 09 Dec 2012
Posts: 608

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh how I understand your mind at the moment. I too feel all those things, as have many many of us on this board. We are rooting for you. The brilliant news is that you are so tenacious and you have been outstandingly determined and diligent about your green days. Remember, when the honeymoon is over there is always a period of adjustment. But the you settle in to your married (noS) life , and it is settled and secure Smile you have been so kind and thoughtful in helping me, you have a really good insight into this process so Trust your inner voice, change is happening Smile
Enjoy your weekend, relish every treat, that is what weekends are for, for now they are a much needed safety valve.
Tessy
_________________
Starting again and hoping this time to succeed. Starting weight 31/12/16 is 210lbs, hoping to lose 10% = 21lbs ( or 1stone 7lbs).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lpearlmom



Joined: 02 Aug 2013
Posts: 3246
Location: Arizona

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang in there! Seems to me that with other diets it gets harder to stick to it whereas with NoS it gets easier!

Linda Smile
_________________
Lost 45 lbs

Instagram "lpearlmom"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
wosnes



Joined: 18 Sep 2006
Posts: 4166
Location: Indianapolis, IN, USA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Wednesday, Week 7 Reply with quote

automatedeating wrote:

Good news and bad news about walking. Good news--because it's not an intense workout, it doesn't seem to make me super hungry, and it doesn't give me that after-workout glow that makes me think I deserve a huge meal. Bad news--walking isn't intense, so it probably isn't going to help me lose much weight. Alas, it is a good habit, one I am determined to build.


Recently I was going to post a link to an article about this, but I had no idea where I'd found it. Essentially it said that for weight loss you cut calories and that exercise has other health benefits. It's not as helpful with weight loss as people think it is. Remember, until very recently walking and other "exercise" associated with activities of daily living was the only exercise anyone did.
_________________
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Saturday, week 7 Reply with quote

138.9
Coffee with cream
B: Bacon, eggs, toast
L: carne de asana taco, few fries, several mini donuts
D: salad, rice with shredded chicken, 1 twin fun snack, ice tea
Frosty at Wendy's (felt too full after this)
Wine

Ummmm, yeah, this was quite an S day!
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jw



Joined: 05 Jul 2013
Posts: 844
Location: PA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Someday this will be just part of who I am"

You are closer than you think! Hang in there!
_________________
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Sunday, Week 8 Reply with quote

139.9
coffee with milk
L: 4 (?!) pieces of pizza
1 cookie ice cream sandwich
D: Frosted flakes

Do you see my disordered eating on S days? I have no regularity to my eating, no tradition.

Thanks so much to everyone for such supportive comments. Walker Lori said that getting supported by other comments has inspired her to post comments on other people's check-ins. I feel the same way, although I often end up reading other check-ins without commenting.
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Monday, Week 8 Reply with quote

140.9 -- I can always count on pizza, I'm finding, to "puff" me up.
walked partially to/from work (parked at babysitters.... long story) 60 minutes
coffee with cream
L: 1 tortilla, 1 pickle, a few pieces of veggies with ranch
16 oz. whole milk latte (ordered a 12 oz.... should have saved some for later)
D: lasagne and bread
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jw



Joined: 05 Jul 2013
Posts: 844
Location: PA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know -- my S day eating is sometimes actually worse than before No S! but my overall habits are better. I'm not sure we should think of our S day eating as disordered -- it's just a little bit of "anything goes," and by the time we've had all the things we've been missing, there's not a lot of room for the healthier options. But if those two days allow us to stay on track the rest of the week, it's worth it! And you really have been consistent with N days and with exercise.
_________________
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jw wrote:
I know -- it's just a little bit of "anything goes," and by the time we've had all the things we've been missing, there's not a lot of room for the healthier options.


That is so true!! And it has taken me 7 weeks to recognize the importance of S days as a "release valve", as so many NoSers call it. I didn't need that release valve too much at first, but boy, I sure do now. I can feel my body checking to see if I am depriving it enough to cause all-out rebellion.
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Tuesday, Week 8 Reply with quote

139.8
walked to/from work (90 minutes)
coffee with cream
L: 2 tortillas, some apple slices
D: not yet, but it's date night, and I'm determined not to do the crazy big order....my husband loves to see me eat good food........ Isn't that funny? He's a GREAT guy, but I'm beginning to realize that he likes to see me happy with a great meal. And that he doesn't think I'm happy with a chicken salad (because he's not a fan of that kind of meal).
So I ended up having a bowl of chicken tortilla soup, and some chips with guacamole, plus a few fries from my husband's plate. I was virtual plating, and I don't think I overrate (I didn't feel overfull) but for some reason I feel like this meal was a big fail. I wonder if it's because I have never virtual plated before, and I know that is a slippery slope.

Whatever, I am not going to overthinking this. It was one meal, and onward with my habits. Imogen's testimonial has encouraged me recently. I don't think I am as willing to be disciplined as she is, so I doubt I would become thin...... But NoS has completely halted and slightly reversed my weight gain. I love that. I realize that I am lucky to be as content with my body as I am, all things considered. I don't mind not being skinny (especially if it means being even more strict than vanilla S), I just don't want to get any bigger! I want to be healthy and strong, and be able to carry heavy groceries, walk beautiful hiking trails, run around with my kids outside.

I still freak out about having to add mods. Rather than some posters, who are tempted to mod constantly, I am the opposite: I'll have to be dragged kicking and screaming to mod land. And after 8 weeks of NoS, I think I may just never do mods! And so be it if I don't lose more weight. I like enjoying my 3 meals, working up an appetite. I love saying, "I don't snack", I love waking up Saturday morning and not worrying about structure for a couple of days. I love moderation. I have been overeating and not exercising for 7 years, so moderation is a nice place to be right now.

Many seasoned NoSers encourage me that if mods ever need to happen, I'll be ready if need-be. And that IS encouraging. And with that, I'm going to try to get some sleep (up with insomnia tonight).
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.


Last edited by automatedeating on Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wosnes



Joined: 18 Sep 2006
Posts: 4166
Location: Indianapolis, IN, USA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuesday, Week 8 Reply with quote

automatedeating wrote:
my husband loves to see me eat good food........ Isn't that funny?


Back when I was dating (nearly 40 years ago) I read that men like a woman who eats well and enjoys her food. They didn't like it when a woman ordered a small meal or just picked at a meal, no matter the reason (dieting, afraid that a good meal would cost too much -- whatever).

Many men aren't fans of that kind of meal. It can be part of an enjoyable meal, but they don't see it as a whole, good, enjoyable meal.
_________________
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Wednesday, Week 8 Reply with quote

140.0
coffee with cream
L: 2 tortillas, few apple slices
Diet Coke
Dinner: not yet, but I'm making spaghetti with garlic bread


No S has reset my 'full' button. I used to continue eating until I was uncomfortably full. Now, I've learned that if I stop after one plate, I am no longer hungry.

I used to think that if I was really, really hungry, I needed a really, really big meal. I've learned that a normal sized meal satisfies me even if I was very hungry when I began the meal.

Both of the above benefits of No S are self-reinforcing and make it easier to keep to the plan.

In my opinion, the most important habit for me is No Snacks. It is what habit scientists call my "keystone habit". It regulates my eating into discrete meals. Snacking has immediate gratification that will probably always tempt me.

Edit: now what did I do right after this arrogant post? Make spaghetti and gorge on it!! Technically, all on one plate, but please, I was just ridiculous! My 7 year old and I were joking about it a little after dinner. "My brain was mad at my stomach for wanting too much in it!" and "Now my stomach is mad because it's too full and it blames it on my brain!"

Ah, move on. NoS really demands that we let go of the disappointments and move on. Also, I need to focus on habit: no sweets, no seconds, no snacks....green day, regardless of how I feel about "grading" my green day!
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kookie



Joined: 06 Dec 2011
Posts: 250

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI automated!

Been reading your check-in blog....really good to stuff!

I am the same, mods are not something I am keen or tempted to do because I just know myself right now and it would undermine the system for me and become a slippery slope. But as you say that others have said (!), if needs be I'll be ready to mod.

You're doing so well! It's such fun to read of people's progress. I love the idea of talking to your metabolism to encourage it and remind it that it is safe and you're not going to spook it with a deprivation diet. I honestly think that could be pretty powerful you know.

Keep up the great work! I might start posting what I eat as well, just love seeing what others eat (food obsessed, moi??).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Thursday, Week 8 Reply with quote

140.1
coffee with cream
walked to work (45 minutes)
L: PB&J; few apple slices
D: Taco salad, some mini-pizza snacks

So today was kind of interesting. I was super hungry by dinner, and after eating one plate (well, while eating, actually) I was dreaming of seconds. 10 minutes later, sitting on the couch, still dreaming of seconds. This was the toughest I've had it since starting NoS. Now, 2 hours later, I'm OK. I realize i have eaten enough food, and I can eat again in the morning. "It's OK body, I'm going to take care of you. I'll feed you if you're hungry in the morning. And on the weekend I'll treat you to some yummy desserts."

I think several factors are making moderate eating hard for me right now:
1. 8 weeks of NoS, my body is reading to take, what it considers a "well-earned vacation" from moderation.
2. Fatigue. I had insomnia 2 nights ago and I'm sure I'm still in sleep-deficit. And it's not like I usually have 'high-quality' sleep. Last night, for example, my 4 year old woke me 3 or 4 times with various demands. Man, when I write it down like that, that's got to stop! How have I lived with broken sleep for so many years?? No wonder I crave carbs....
3. Stress. 4 weeks into the quarter, my workload has gotten progressively heavier. I seem to be experiencing "job creep" and need to learn how to say no.
4. And last, but I think currently the biggest challenge, my social anxiety has really been increasing this quarter. Little events in which I feel that I was a little too grumpy or impatient with others begin to plague me. I start to question my teaching methods, I begin to worry what my students are saying when I'm not around. I dwell on how my colleagues perceive me. I'm always afraid people will find me out for the slacker I am, that they will realize how disorganized I actually am. The tiniest criticisms derail my self-confidence....I consider anything less than 100% job-approval to be a shameful failure.
Maybe a good question is why has my social anxiety been increasing? Could it be partially because I have been putting a lot of effort into my healthy habits (NoS and walking to work) and so my willpower is maxed out. Hmmmm, I need to think on this. Better yet, I need to SLEEP on this!

Wow. Writing it all out like that, I'm a piece of work!
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kookie



Joined: 06 Dec 2011
Posts: 250

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey automated.. Totally identify with the social anxiety and I honestly think it's the lack of sleep that's behind it. Truly. I don't think you need to analyse it beyond that. I've begun to notice that if I'm unwell or haven't sleep enough, that's what happens to me. Big time!!! I'm sure you'll sleep this weekend and feel like a new woman after it. Thanks for your post on my check in. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Friday, Week 8 Reply with quote

16 oz. whole milk latte
L: lentil soup and 2 pieces of toast
HUNGRY!! and it's only 2:50pm!!!!!!!
Think this is real hunger.....if the hunger doesn't pass, I'm going to buy another latte this afternoon. Smile
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kookie



Joined: 06 Dec 2011
Posts: 250

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yeah, whatever it takes! I had a teaspoon of miso paste in a mug filled with boiling water...miso soup I guess you'd call it;-) also a good gap-fill! You can do it! Plan a really nice big delicious dinner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oolala53



Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Posts: 7705
Location: San Diego, CA USA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I post for a couple of reasons. One is a little embarrassing; I haven't found anything else quite as compelling in life! I'm single and am realizing I'm a bit of an introvert. I love thinking about this topic. Maybe it helps me keep it in perspective, in the sense that our culture is so crazy about food AND bodies that I almost think one has to be a bit focused to counteract it. I don't write about the body issue much here, but I consider it very related.

And I like writing. I should have known I would, but I didn't know what kind of writing. I wish at times it was a bit less prosaic, but it satisfies something in me. And why not this? It's been the source of pain for so many people.
_________________
Count plates, not calories. Three a day. 7 years & counting
Age 63 SBMI Jan/10-30.8 Jan/12-26.8 Mar/13-24.9 Dec/15 24.8 held steady +/- 8-lb. for two years Mar/17 22.8

There is no S better than Vanilla No S.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tessytwinkle



Joined: 09 Dec 2012
Posts: 608

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Thursday, Week 8 Reply with quote

[quote="automatedeating"]
' I start to question my teaching methods, I begin to worry what my students are saying when I'm not around. I dwell on how my colleagues perceive me. I'm always afraid people will find me out for the slacker I am, that they will realize how disorganized I actually am. The tiniest criticisms derail my self-confidence....I consider anything less than 100% job-approval to be a shameful failure.'


Dear automated eating, I share all of these fears and anxieties. I think it is parr for the course. It is good at times to be anxious about our teaching it makes us better teachers, teaching is a position of power, anxiety and a desire to do it well can counter that. You will settle again. I can add that on my thread you have taught me lots of things and when doing so you have been kind, patient, insightful and very practically helpful. I suspect you are a very good teacher Smile
Tessy
_________________
Starting again and hoping this time to succeed. Starting weight 31/12/16 is 210lbs, hoping to lose 10% = 21lbs ( or 1stone 7lbs).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oolala53



Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Posts: 7705
Location: San Diego, CA USA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read all your posts, and when I just came on your thread, I happened to fall on the post about your anxiety about teaching. I thought, when did I post here? Because I thought it was me. I'm a high school teacher and pretty much tortured by the experience every day. I KNOW I am making mistakes every day and have not been able to stop. I"m not kidding; I so often turn off the very kids I am supposed to help. I am so impatient with them. They won't even say hi to me when we pass each other out on the campus. But I can't give up the idea that I should be able to get more out of the students. I have nothing else I can go do and make any decent money at, so I stay.

However, in the past few weeks I have started to think, after 17 years, that we are actually being asked to do the impossible, and therefore, I am willing for the first time to let myself off the hook. The state education system asks for more and more, and we are in classrooms with 35-40 teenagers, many of whom don't have the will nor the ability, at this point, to come even close to the required standards. It's so discouraging to keep failing to meet the mark, and to see how much we would have to be able to do to get there. I used to think if I really believed it couldn't be done, that I would need to quit because it would be so dishonest for me to stay in the situation. But now I believe that practically no one can do it, so why shouldn't I just stay and try to find a way to make the situation livable for me and for them.

I certainly think about what the students think of me because I know that it does affect their attitude about working hard. Yet I also know that many other teachers are much nicer than I am and they don't necessarily get any better results. And don't berate themselves for it like I do.
_________________
Count plates, not calories. Three a day. 7 years & counting
Age 63 SBMI Jan/10-30.8 Jan/12-26.8 Mar/13-24.9 Dec/15 24.8 held steady +/- 8-lb. for two years Mar/17 22.8

There is no S better than Vanilla No S.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oolala, I feel your pain! I am so frustrated with institutionalized education, and yet I am a cog in the wheel......

It is not a coincidence that I homeschool! I see the unfortunate side effect of large classrooms causing many students to become passive learners. It doesn't happen to all of them, but it sure is a common problem. It is not easy for my husband and I to juggle childcare and homeschooling. The temptation to put my kids in school all day would make my life easier. But we believe in what we are doing, and just take it one quarter at a time.
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Saturday, Week 8 Reply with quote

S DAY
138.4
B: frosted flakes (yes, they were yummy!)
L: cheeseburger with fries, plus most of my kids' fries!
Diet Squirt
D: ham, potatoes, salad, lemonade
wine
late night snack--snack sized bad of doritos
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oolala53



Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Posts: 7705
Location: San Diego, CA USA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"snack sized bad of doritos" Dr. Freud! Paging Dr. Freud!

Oh, I forgot that you homeschool.

Do you teach other kids, that you worry about what students say about you when you're not around?

I had a friend who lived in a small mountain community for a few years in which she homeschooled. She said she used to go out on her back deck a few times a week and cry because it was so hard to get her kids' cooperation. When the family moved back to a bigger community, she put the kids back in school and took over her now ex-husband's insurance business. She didn't love that, either, but it was part of her path. Her son is now a manager for Sheraton and her daughter is a successful wedding photographer in New York City.

So, there's hope either way.

Eating three sane meals a day will actually support you in this endeavor.

Back to N days tomorrow!
_________________
Count plates, not calories. Three a day. 7 years & counting
Age 63 SBMI Jan/10-30.8 Jan/12-26.8 Mar/13-24.9 Dec/15 24.8 held steady +/- 8-lb. for two years Mar/17 22.8

There is no S better than Vanilla No S.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oolala, no, I teach adults, actually, but still suffer from paranoia. Ha, and that is pretty funny about my Freudian slip.

OK, so my S Day:
B: French Toast
S: apple slices
L: chili with chips
S: few chips with pico de gallo
Dessert: Chocolate Chip Mint Ice Cream....yum, yum, yum, enjoyed every bite and thought how much I love NoS and true desserts.
Oops, and a piece of pizza.

And tomorrow I'm back to routine. Smile
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kookie



Joined: 06 Dec 2011
Posts: 250

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Automated!

Haha, I laughed at Oolala's comment 'paging Dr Freud'!! Hilarious.

It seems like your S days were really sane this weekend! That's so awesome. I'm really struggling today after a very over the top weekend. Feel like CRAP! But I need to trust the path that people like you are blazing for people like me Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oolala53



Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Posts: 7705
Location: San Diego, CA USA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I read your tidy list of foods and thought about all the foods I picked at before and during a midday potluck I went to yesterday. What a chore it would have been to write them all down! I know some people say writing it will keep them from nibbling so much because they don't want to have to write it down. Uh, I would always just drop the recording, not the eating! And still do.

I do know that Reinhard suggested at one time that if S days continued to be wild, a tactic might be to write down ONLY what the eater considered to be wild. Still gnawing on that one.
_________________
Count plates, not calories. Three a day. 7 years & counting
Age 63 SBMI Jan/10-30.8 Jan/12-26.8 Mar/13-24.9 Dec/15 24.8 held steady +/- 8-lb. for two years Mar/17 22.8

There is no S better than Vanilla No S.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Monday, Week 9 Reply with quote

138.7
walked to/from work (90 minutes)
coffee with milk
L: 1 piece of pizza, some chips, some apple slices
Diet Squirt
D: spaghetti and bread

Well, I'm glad my meals look "tidy" and "sane." Smile Mostly I feel like I eat a lot of nutrient-dense, non freggie meals. But I tell myself everyday I am not going to worry about that right now.

For the moment (since we all know how quickly our body-image mood and diet-head can change).... I truly enjoy waiting for just one plate of food at the next meal. It's like it's simplified my life, not having snacks. We'll see how long this lasts, but I will enjoy the respite from snacky temptations. As I type this, I remember JUST LAST WEEK I felt lots of temptation to snack. So whatever, I will need to take it one day at a time!
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Tuesday, week 9 Reply with quote

138.7
Walked to/from work (90 minutes)
Coffe with cream
L: 2 tortillas with beans/cheese/yogurt and some apple slices
Date night! I have learned that I've got to think ahead for these to avoid going overboard with "celebratory" eating
D: burger and fries

At school today I SCARFED my lunch. It was really weird. I just stuffed it all in and was almost done before I realized what I was doing.

It was a notable departure from my slower eating with NoS. Hmmm. I think it correlated with feeling really tired. That's interesting, could fatigue make me want to stuff my face really fast? Smile
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.


Last edited by automatedeating on Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lpearlmom



Joined: 02 Aug 2013
Posts: 3246
Location: Arizona

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi you've probably already touched on this but just wondering why you skip breakfast? I'd be starving by lunch too esp with a 45 min walk under my belt.

Also, it's weird but in the beginning of NoS I found the between meal part so scary that I would rush through my meals in an attempt to get them over with. It sounds counter-intuitive but the anticipation of being without food was worse than actually being there so I'd rush to just be there. Anyway it still happens sometimes (did today) so thought I'd mention it.

Enjoy your date night!

Linda
_________________
Lost 45 lbs

Instagram "lpearlmom"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Linda--
Well, why do I skip breakfast? I guess I haven't really thought about it much. It's just happened (but only on Monday-Thursday).
I have to leave the house very early, so I am not hungry yet. When I get to work, I do have the option of having some oatmeal, but usually all I want is coffee. I drink plenty of coffee with cream, so hunger is not bad in the morning. I do get hungry in the afternoon and have often suspected it's because of skipping breakfast. Yesterday when I ate my lunch really fast, I wasn't even that hungry. Which made the event strange in my mind.
I guess the main reason I have been skipping it is because I'm not very hungry in the morning. I haven't really thought about whether it's a bad long-term strategy....
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lpearlmom



Joined: 02 Aug 2013
Posts: 3246
Location: Arizona

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
If it's working for you then I wouldn't worry about it! Was just wondering if you were using it as a strategy to eat less. I don't think everyone is a morning eater though. So great that you walk so much. I'm impressed!
_________________
Lost 45 lbs

Instagram "lpearlmom"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
automatedeating



Joined: 31 Aug 2013
Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Wednesday, Week 9 Reply with quote

walked to/from work (90 minutes)
coffee with cream
L: tortilla chips with cheese and pico de gallo
D: lasagne and garlic bread
Diet Squirt
_________________
I am a small person. Therefore, it is reasonable that smaller portions will satisfy me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kookie



Joined: 06 Dec 2011
Posts: 250

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi automated...I was wondering the same thing about your breakfasts. But if it's working for you and it's not part of the 'diethead' then great!! Plus it means you will effectively be getting all the benefits of intermittent fasting. Unfortunately I have tried just having lattes for breakfast in the past and it always used to set me up for a binge either in the afternoon or after supper like clockwork. So annoying! But I have a lot of friends who are like you. For me, what I eat for breakfast makes quite a big difference to how hungry I am in the afternoon and if my breakfast is good then I can hold off dinner for a lot longer and also don't need as dense food for that final meal. It's great getting to know our bodies, they're all so unique!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum