New to Shovelgloving

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Arminius

New to Shovelgloving

Post by Arminius » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:19 am

Hello everyone, I found the shovelglove website last night while researching different types of workout which I could do at home. This morning I dug out the 3 kg splitting maul from the garage and had a go. I did 14 minutes and it was really good fun. I'm going to try and get to a hardware shop this afternoon and get a 5 kg sledge as the maul is a bit light and dangerous with the sharp edge. This really seems to be a well thought out and simple system to achieve and maintain strength and fitness. I can't wait for tomorrow morning to do some more shovelling.

Arminius

Post by Arminius » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:00 am

I managed to get my 5 kg sledge yesterday and clothed it in an old green sweater. I used it this morning and was surprised at how much difference the two kg made. Broke a sweat and actually looked like I had done some exercise after. I will post in the routine subforum once I've settled with a routine that I like.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:58 pm

Welcome! Glad to hear you're off to a good start.

I've been shovelgloving ~12 years now so it's definitely maintainable.

The trick is to ease in, throttle your enthusiasm, and focus on that sustainable minimum of compliance rather than heroic one-time efforts.

Reinhard