Extinction Bursts

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

eschano

Extinction Bursts

Post by eschano » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:38 pm

Hi all,

So I noticed on the daily threads that a good number of us have struggled lately (yep, myself totally included). But: it might just be an extinction burst - we're on the right path.

So I want to re-introduce the idea of an extinction burst here...
http://education-portal.com/academy/les ... tml#lesson

and here
http://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/07/07/ ... ion-burst/

An Extinction burst happens if you are trying to eliminate a behaviour - or on NoS it's really 3 behaviours: snacking, seconds, sweets - and you have a bit of a relapse. It's a good sign. The key is to not make a big deal out of it, know that you are on the right path and that your old habit just has a last horray (that said - do not give into the What The Hell effect!).

If you experience an extinction burst, think about the elephant metaphor and refocus calmly onto the good habits you want to reinforce (3 square meals a day).

I feel much better since remembering this concept - I have totally forgotten about it, and I hope it will help others too.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:40 pm

I found an old thread relating to one of the articles:

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... tion+burst
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:07 pm

just what I needed to read today! (oscar party derailment ;(

onward and upward!

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:04 pm

Nice share. I've been noticing that having sweets just because is increasingly not satisfying. I've been thinking about paying more attention to the "sometimes" qualifier in the rules.

This is just the thing to nudge me towards that.

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:36 am

Hi Marianna and Blithe Morning, I'm delighted that it was a useful post for you! I feel so much better since remembering that concept.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:09 pm

This is good stuff here! Thanks for sharing! :D
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

Rilemberg

Post by Rilemberg » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:58 am

This was made for the general discussion that was all on different topics it was good to know each other through this. I have to start a new topic that was I send them on www.bestessay.com this was belong to them and they upload this after checking spam on it.

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:56 pm

Rilemberg wrote:This was made for the general discussion that was all on different topics it was good to know each other through this. I have to start a new topic that was I send them on www.bestessay.com this was belong to them and they upload this after checking spam on it.
SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days