Happy Birthday Ben Franklin!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Blithe Morning

Happy Birthday Ben Franklin!

Post by Blithe Morning » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:04 am

The father of habit tracking is 307 years old today!

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:43 am

Awesome shall we declare it an s day?
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:11 pm

hahaha, Snap

Ironically, the best thing to do is to stay on habit.

Ben wrote about 13 virtues, the first of which was temperance. "Eat not to dulness, drink not to elevation." I like the No S rules better as they offer the "bright lines".

From The Memoirs of Benjamin Franklin
My intention being to acquire the habitude of all these virtues, I judged it would be well not to distract my attention by attempting the whole at once, but to fix it on one of them at a time; and when I should be master of that, then to proceed to another; and so on till I should have gone through the thirteen: and as the previous acquisition of some might facilitate the acquisition of certain others, I arranged them with that view as they stand above. Temperance first, as it tends to promote that coolness and clearness of head which is so necessary where constant vigilance was to be kept up, and a guard maintained against the unremitting attraction of ancient habits and the force of perpetual temptations. p 105