Two articles

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

Two articles

Post by wosnes » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:03 pm

Two interesting articles I found today:

Myths Surround Breakfast and Weight At least one of the comments supports 3 meals a day with no snacks.

I found this one linked to in the comments: The Rest of the World Is Eating Carbs...Why Aren't You?
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:38 am

I appreciated both of these articles, thanks for linking them!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:49 am

automatedeating wrote:I appreciated both of these articles, thanks for linking them!
I thought of you when I read this comment:
MaxDigital wrote:As a (formerly: 216lb 5'11") obese 60 year old male, after an evening of frequent trips to the fridge and cupboards until bedtime, I would wake up each morning vowing that this was the day, that the end of my over-eating would begin now! And thus my new diet would begin by skipping breakfast and powering through until about 1pm when I would be famished and ready to eat anything put in front of me (and I did.) Whoops, there went another broken vow and breakfastless fresh start out the window. When I finally admitted I was powerless over food and a compulsive overeater (and flour and sugar addict) and luckily found Overeaters Anonymous, I finally found a way to get down to & maintain a healthy body wt (175lbs), and free myself from the tyranny of compulsive eating and food behaviors. www.OA.org is not a diet program, though a foodplan is part of the program. Here is my simple foodplan which allowed me to lose 40 lbs in less than 3 months and so far have kept it off for over 2 years:
Breakfast: 1/2 cup (dry) unflavored, unsugared oatmeal. Lowfat milk, banana.
Lunch: 1/2 piece plain baked/broiled chicken. No sauces, no skin. Raw veggies, fruit.
Dinner: Same as Lunch but switch chicken for plain baked/broiled fish (or visa-versa), no sauce/butter. Steamed veggies and fruit.
That's pretty much it. You make your food at home and bring it with you. Going to a friend's for dinner? bring your food with you. Go to OA.org and answer the questions to see if you are a compulsive eater.
He -- or someone who eats just like him -- has made similar comments on other NYT articles. I think that might be automated eating or limiting variety taken to the extreme.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

jw

Post by jw » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:34 am

Thanks for posting these, wosnes. Food for thought! I thought the observation that any change in habit leads to weightloss was really interesting -- people who never ate breakfast lost weight when they started; people who always ate breakfast lost weight when they stopped. Is change the answer? Is that why low carb/low fat/low cal all work the first time but stop working? Is that why snacking/grazing worked thirty years ago when it was first introduced but now just adds unneeded calories? The definition of insanity is doing the same unsuccessful diet thing over and over and expecting a different result . . .

However, No S is a different thing and I am getting a different result!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

noni

Post by noni » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:36 pm

Thanks for posting these, wosnes. But I think I enjoy the comments more!