Gum?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Shadowfairy

Gum?

Post by Shadowfairy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:01 am

I usually chew gum between meals because my mouth seems to want to be busy all the time. I also drink infused carbonated water (to replace soda and because it fills me up when I'm hungry). Are these considered cheats or something when you think about No snacking?
Forget everything you learned!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:47 am

I'm pretty sure according to Reinhard drinks are not cheats, unless they are sweets. So, even caloric drinks, like beer or a coffee with milk and sugar, is considered "standard" No S.

Gum - eh, everyone will draw the line in a different place. I have the odd stick of sugar free gum if I'm heading to a meeting and haven't had tthe opportunity to clean my teeth after a coffee!

The nice thing about No S is that there are not that many "rules", just the 14 words. Within that there is a lot of freedom for you to eat and drink as suits you :)

Shadowfairy

Post by Shadowfairy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:05 am

Ah okay. I was just wondering. The gum does tend to drag me through to the next meal. :) it's a strategy I use. If I happen to get bored I graze on everything so the gum kind of sorts that out. One piece, lasts A LONG time Lol.

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:23 am

One of the great things NoS does is to focus on the biggest offenders. I focused on the main things first and then finetuned way down the road. So my suggestion is not to worry about the gum and the drink for now and once your habits are stable you can tackle them if you feel like it.

I gave up all diet soda but only about 1 1/2 years in and I don't think I could have done it any earlier.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Shadowfairy

Post by Shadowfairy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:29 am

eschano wrote:One of the great things NoS does is to focus on the biggest offenders. I focused on the main things first and then finetuned way down the road. So my suggestion is not to worry about the gum and the drink for now and once your habits are stable you can tackle them if you feel like it.

I gave up all diet soda but only about 1 1/2 years in and I don't think I could have done it any earlier.
I don't drink much diet soda either. Actually I don't drink diet soda. I'd much rather have the full sugared one. But that happens once a week maybe.

The carbonated water I make, well, it's just carbonated water (made with an old fashioned sodastream) with some flavour concentrate. I enjoy the fizz.

I guess my question was more concerning the gum, and if it's considered cheating if I chew all the time between meals. :)

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:59 am

I see. Again, I think concentrate on the other things. You're not going to be much thinner if you stop chewing gum :) So knock out the big offenders first (whatever that is in your case - in mine it was sweets for other's it's snacks) and worry about gum later.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Shadowfairy

Post by Shadowfairy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:20 am

Will do. My biggest offender is the sweets. I can't get away from that stuff. It's like it calls my name...However creepy that might sound. Lol

noni

Post by noni » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:28 pm

I used to chew gum so much when I was younger that one side of my jaw looked like it belonged to Arnold Schwarzenegger. Now I chew it as I please to freshen breath. I don't see gum as a problem, though.

Shadowfairy

Post by Shadowfairy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:50 pm

noni wrote:I used to chew gum so much when I was younger that one side of my jaw looked like it belonged to Arnold Schwarzenegger.
That must have been attractive... :D