Counting Calories.. that I DIDN'T eat

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

pickle

Counting Calories.. that I DIDN'T eat

Post by pickle » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:50 pm

This was my first NoS week and I only had 2 green days... mainly due to my inability to turn down freshly baked bread. Even though I had some slip-ups, I was surprised at all the things I turned down that I would have otherwise eaten:

- Toffee Blondie (2)
- homemade brownie
- candy corn
- large cookie from Panera's
- snackwell cookies
- crackers
- 1/2 a pita
- blow pops (3)
- ice cream cone

That's a lot of junk food!

I think I'm going to continue tracking all the things I turn down. It has really opened my eyes to all the empty snack calories I was eating.

Does anyone else track this?

SassyInkPen

Post by SassyInkPen » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:44 pm

That's a really fun idea! That would be pretty motivating, I think

Sassy

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:18 pm

That's great Pickle!
Keep it up!
Great perspective on it :)
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:21 pm

If you don't mind me saying, you might want to actually make a HabitCal and rather than counting the calories alone, you also track the behavior itself and keep a record of each success you have when you turn down something really tempting. That will be satisfying to see all those times you refused something on on N day :)
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

la_loser

Proud Moment Indeed

Post by la_loser » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:03 pm

Pickle--I totally agree that this kind of informal tracking quite fun and rewarding! I started a topic in August called "Post Your Proud Moments. . ." and your post today seemed to fit right in. . . so I took the liberty of adding it there too. . .see this link!

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... 9400#49400

I think when I manage to avoid some snack or sweet, I internally think to myself. . . ooh, I could post this on my Proud Moments page! I don't always actually do it--but I know I could!

And rather than counting the actual calories that you've avoided-you can just document the item--keeps us away from that "substance accounting diet" mindset that No S gives us the freedom to avoid! (when you've had a chance to read old posts, etc., you'll find that someone realized that that diet could stand for S.A.D.!)

Welcome and good luck. We're all in this together
!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:15 pm

Pickle,

I think this is a great insight. It is amazing when i think of all the food i have "fairly easily" said "No thank you" to on the No S diet ... just thinking about it gives me the warm fuzzies!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

pickle

Post by pickle » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:53 pm

Thanks for the replies,

I guess I should get away from the calorie counting... even when the calories are "good" calories (calories I burned working out or calories I turned down). I tell you one thing, near the end of the week I enjoyed turning things down because I knew I could add it to my list. :wink:

It's funny how it's hard to get out of the diet mindset. LA_Loser, I saw your post about Proudest Moments and it just didn't click for me that these tiny everyday victories could be proudest moments. It's the old school, count-everything, no-slip-up mentality in me that made me think a proudest moment would be like, "I went to my sister's wedding and didn't have any cake!" -- which is dumb because that would totally be an S day.

I'm just so astounded by all the little things that I am offered everyday. I mean can something be considered a "treat" if you treat yourself 2+ times a day?

And WOW, do I work with a bunch of sweet tooths or what?! They're probably all in their kitchens right now cooking up brownies and cupcakes for the week.