Watched Food, Inc. last night - Yikes!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Whidbey Woman

Watched Food, Inc. last night - Yikes!

Post by Whidbey Woman » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:21 pm

Sobering, disgusting, scary. Now I need to find a place to buy grass fed, organic beef and free range chicken. It's a bit of a challenge since I live in a small town on an island in Puget Sound.

If I'm going to eat only 3 meals a day and no snacks, I want those three meals to quality, nutritionally dense meals.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Be prepared for a huge difference in cost. At my local farmer's market, a whole chicken or 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cost about $16. I bought some beef short ribs (just enough to serve 2-3 people) and paid over $20. All of them were, however, extremely tasty.

While I enjoy meat, I eat less of it than anything else. So I pay more attention to the quality of the other foods I buy/eat and do the best I can with the meat.

That movie made me wonder if Paula Deen knows how not only the animals, but the people who work for Smithfield are being treated. I'm not sure if she's still associated with them, but she was at the time I saw the movie.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Sharpie

Post by Sharpie » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:58 pm

Actually, in the sound area, it's not too hard at all! Thank all us 'hippies' :) and our food co-ops. Places that have a lot of vegan/veggie stuff also tend to carry humanely raised and butchered meats. There are also tons of hobby farmers around who have critters you can buy on the hoof and have slaughtered and cut to your own preferences. Real free range eggs are pretty easy to find too.
"If you only do what you know you can do, you never do very much.†-Tom Krause

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:27 pm

Joel Salatin was on the episode of Avec Eric (chef Eric Ripert) I saw yesterday. It makes so much sense in so many ways to farm/raise animals the way he does.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

exdieter

Post by exdieter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:23 am

Ha! I can relate! I watched that movie several weeks ago, which prompted me to buy both of Pollan's books, and in a roundabout way, led me to No-S! I've found some good beef at Whole Foods (but not chicken). I also use Applegate farms bacon on weekends, and am beginning to rely on my local farm co-op as well! (Of course, I'm in Chicago, so lots of grocery options, although I envy your fish options!).

We've actually been saving money because I have stopped eating meat when we go out (unless we know the source), and am buying much less/eating much less in general.
Slow and steady wins the race.
5"4', mid-thirties female
1/2/11: 157.2
4/4/11: 153.6