Day 3 and Sugar Cravings

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mbell

Day 3 and Sugar Cravings

Post by mbell » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:43 pm

So - just completed day 3 of No-S ing. 2 S days went well and didn't eat as much as I normally would but actually felt quite relaxed about what I was eating. Today I think i've been suffering from sugar withdrawal. Not pleasant but stuck it out. It's actually quite scary to realise how dependant your body can become on certain foodstuffs. Will I ever get hooked on cucumber? :roll:
A moment on the lips means a breakage on the zips. Or maybe not.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:19 pm

Hooked? Probably not.

But a lot of us here have found that after a while sugar isn't as enjoyable as it used to be. It's too sweet and the little zing that it gives you not really all that pleasant. So, cucumbers might start tasting better.

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:30 pm

After No-S'ing since last June, I don't really feel differently about vegetables (not cucumbers- we don't have them in our house because Nicest Husband hates them, and I don't like them nearly enough to get them just for me). I do feel differently about snack food and sweets, though. I find I enjoy them more when I get them, and get more pleasure out of having less of them. I think this is because I know I can't have them all the time, so they seem more special when I do have them.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:53 pm

Nicest of the Damned wrote: I do feel differently about snack food and sweets, though. I find I enjoy them more when I get them, and get more pleasure out of having less of them.
This is definitely how I feel about sugar and treats. I enjoy the heck out of 'em, but I sure don't need or want them every day, and serving sizes are much smaller.

mbell, as you train your appetite, you'll find that your relationship with sweets will change. Though I don't buy the sugar as a physically addictive substance thing, myself. (I'm one of these jerks who tends to classify addiction to a substance with whether or not you get actual "I can't go to work" withdrawal symptoms if the substance is removed -- like DTs migraines or vomiting. I know not everyone agrees with this.) However, you might have an incredibly POWERFUL habituation to a food, and breaking that can be a challenge, too. That you're up for sticking it out this early in the game says you'll probably retrain your appetite just fine. Just don't freak at a failure!
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

DaveMc

Re: Day 3 and Sugar Cravings

Post by DaveMc » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:34 pm

mbell wrote:Will I ever get hooked on cucumber? :roll:
I find little to love about cucumber, though I don't *mind* it. :)

On the other hand, I've been amazed at how much I'm into fruit, these days. Apples, oranges, grapes, pears -- it's incredible how *sweet* these things are! (Baby carrots, too.) I eat one or two with nearly every meal. I don't remember enjoying fruit this much, and though I can't prove it, I suspect that the last year and a half (EDIT: hey, time flies, it's actually a year and two-thirds) of reducing my daily intake of sugary sweets may have had a positive effect on my ability to taste sweetness in other things.
Last edited by DaveMc on Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mbell

Post by mbell » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:00 pm

NoelFigart - Interesting what you say about your take on habitual versus addictive. I did actually have a migraine last night and often get headaches post binge when I'm eating more normally. Got me thinking about the kind of foods I like and realised that I veer towards sweet tasting foods, even fruits and vegetables. (Not excited at the thought of an apple but would quite happily consume a punnet of ripe juicy strawberries or a very ripe mashed banana). I think this No-s life is going to be a bit of a challenge but what the heck!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:04 pm

mbell wrote:Will I ever get hooked on cucumber? :roll:
My daughters and I must have different taste buds -- we're ALL hooked on cucumbers. They're always in our salads, we all like cucumbers in sandwiches -- one of my favorites is cucumber and avocado with a little salt and pepper and mayonnaise on whole grain bread. Yum! I'll eat cucumber spears as a side with my soup or as a snack (naturally only on S days!). One of my favorite sides with my soup lunches is strips of bell pepper and strips of cucumber.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:59 pm

wosnes wrote:we're ALL hooked on cucumbers.
Me too. I love cucumbers....and I even get to eat them
in my current low-carb experiment.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:26 pm

My first attempt at No S was horrible. I had the worst sugar withdrawals imaginable, shakes, headaches, and just feeling plain awful. It was so bad that I've yet to go more than one day on No S again. It was scary. Maybe one day I'll make my body obey me and not the other way around, hence why I toy around the forums. But it is not going to be easy if you have the cravings I did. Maybe if you know this in advance, you can stick it out.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:18 am

OMgosh, 3 days in? You are just getting going. I think you'll find cravings and withdrawals will come and go in waves. I doubt most people just stop wanting something one day. If they look back they'll probably remember there was a little bit of mental gymnastics going on. for instance, today I had lunch out and it was great. I've been sick so it was nice to want a meal, and I was with a friend, when I often have to eat alone. I ate what I wanted, took a doggy bag, left full, and was walking home-- and the old feeling of just wanting to get some sugary item and chow down appeared again. I was full! I decided it was just the vestige of an old habit and ignored it. At first, it took a little more doing to process the thoughts and choose to think about something else. Now it goes faster. But that still happens to me after a year of No S and many more N days than not. But I had a pretty serious sugar freak on for DECADES. I'd tried to deal with it the non-diet way for years, and I think those efforts helped make No S possible this time around.

Oh, my, there are some times, esp. when the weather is hot, a cucumber salad with jicama shavings, lemon and salt, all very cold-- yes, I can crave that.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

mbell

Post by mbell » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:08 pm

Well 11 days in and the sugar cravings have definitely subsided, only to be replaced with constant thoughts about my next meal, so much so that i can barely concentrate on anything else! Does this sound familiar to anyone?

amake616

Post by amake616 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:14 pm

Huh. I like thinking about food so long as I know I can get some soon! Anticipation is a good thing.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:32 pm

I do think about food still more than I'd like, but my habits aren't solid. However, I don't feel the sense of obsession as I used to.

I wonder if you're eating enough total food.

You can affect what you're thinking about, too. If you find yourself thinking about food, determine if you might be legitimately hungry and vow to eat more at meals. If not, just chalk it up to an unnecessary anxiety about having to detach from food; then consciously involve yourself in something else. That can become a habit, too.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Sharpie

Post by Sharpie » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:30 am

mbell wrote:Well 11 days in and the sugar cravings have definitely subsided, only to be replaced with constant thoughts about my next meal, so much so that i can barely concentrate on anything else! Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Very, very familiar. Not so much right now since I'm staying with family and not doing my own cooking, but when I'm home, I'll sometimes have dinner completely planned in my head by 10am! As the constant foodfoodfood reminders from my permasnacking stomach/habit have begun to fade, this has happened less often though.
"If you only do what you know you can do, you never do very much.†-Tom Krause

Becoming

Post by Becoming » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:05 am

One of my favourite parts about No-S is planning delicious meals, something that I haven't done for a long time. I love that my focus is shifting to waiting for - and enjoying - a satisfying main meal, rather than grazing on junk all day.

Not sure if I will ever love cucumber though!

Starla

Post by Starla » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:43 pm

Sharpie wrote: I'll sometimes have dinner completely planned in my head by 10am!
I don't think this is a bad thing. I ALWAYS know what I'm going to eat for my meals on N days, and I've been doing this almost 18 months! It's much less stressful for me to not only know when I'm going to be eating, but to know what I'm going to eat. That way I can be assured I will be having a satisfying meal.

Up with Cucumbers!!! I love them.

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:35 pm

I'm trying to do more meal planning. There are studies that show that people who plan meals eat healthier than people who don't. This goes along with my experience, as well. I'm not much of a planner by nature, but I'm trying to plan meals more so that Nicest Husband and I eat healthier.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:47 pm

I don't know about studies, but I do know that I do tend to include a wider range of foods and cook from scratch when I have a meal plan.

I DONT consider a meal plan a straight jacket, though. If I planned to have Coq au Vin on Monday and Puttanesca (my latest dietary obsession) on Wednesday, and I find that I had busy day on Monday, it might be that we'll be doing the puttanesca on Monday.

But even so, the meal plan means that I always have all the ingredients for a week's worth of varied meals in the kitchen. I do try very hard to balance simple and complex meals, though, rather than getting all amibitious about trying to make a gourmet meal every night.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:58 pm

Puttanesca. mmmmm

I really should stop reading food related posts after 4PM.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:14 am

sounds kinky
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:20 am

Yes. It will pass as you do this more. Remember to eat enough at meals so you don't regret not having enough at the last meal!
mbell wrote:Well 11 days in and the sugar cravings have definitely subsided, only to be replaced with constant thoughts about my next meal, so much so that i can barely concentrate on anything else! Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:17 pm

Yes, very familiar. I have said on here that this way of eating is, to me, no less of an obsession than any other plan except that it is at least a healthy way to eat and can be maintained in front of family, friends and co-workers without the -
Oh, I am on a diet thing. Nobody stares at you if you are eating a normal sized plate of food like they might if you were refusing to eat at all or eating four plates of food from the buffet line. :shock:
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:38 pm

I've sometimes thought if I ever get this down as a routine, I will go to a hypnotist and ask if s/he can help me forget my history with food problems. 'Course, if they could do that, maybe they could do it for me now.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23