Hello again -- working up to trying this again

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Mander

Hello again -- working up to trying this again

Post by Mander » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:19 am

I posted here a while ago and got many helpful responses, then I just kind of lost track of the whole idea. Partly this was due to the time-sucking madness surrounding the end of my degree, when I spent all of my time writing and got very little sleep. Anyway, I have finished that now, and I am embarking on a new phase of my life. Seems like a good time to think about establishing better habits!

For the moment I am still working at home, on the computer, so many of my grad students habits (rolling out of bed into the computer chair, wearing pajamas until noon, etc.) still apply. However, some of the problems I had before, especially my husband not wanting to have dinner until midnight, have improved. Hopefully it will be easier to establish routine times for meals, etc. this time around. And with any luck I will get a job outside the house soon, which I think would help a lot with structure.

Anyway, I'm going to just try following vanilla no-S for a while (a week or so?) and see how I get on. Or at least make a note of the stumbling blocks I still have and think up ways to get around them.

All this was a long-winded way of saying hello again!

honey

Post by honey » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:28 am

Hi Mander,

I just wanted to say hello and wish you good luck.

I'm new too, well I joined up last year but never posted or even got started with the diet. I've just finished my first week of vanilla no-s and I'm feeling quite pleased with myself and very motivated still!

It just seems like such common sense. I've been reading a lot of the boards for motivation and I've also treated myself to the ebook.

Anyway, there is my long-winded hello and good luck :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:14 am

Eating dinner at midnight would be a problem for me, but really, once you get in the swing of things. It starts to seem like almost nothing can make this impossible, unless you are in a situation where you do not have access to relatively decent food for 12 hours a day. That is so rare in our culture. Almost no matter what, you can put some food on a plate and call it a meal. If that isn't possible, I'm not sure what alternative would work anyway. It is very likely over time the quality of your choices will improve while the need for perfection actually decreases.

Keep up with us and see if members can't help you get over the bumps. BTW, I had a brief start, then a hiatus of more than a year, and then two pretty good years that are continuing now into three.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Mander

Post by Mander » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:56 am

That's encouraging to hear, oolala. My biggest problem, really, is that I would wake up and go straight to the computer. I'd get a cup of coffee but not eat anything until I was starving, at which point I would type with one hand and scarf whatever was available with the other! But now that I'm done I don't have the same "must work every waking moment" mentality, so hopefully it will be easier to sit down and eat proper meals at the table.