Fell so far off the wagon that I forgot there even *was* one

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Mander

Fell so far off the wagon that I forgot there even *was* one

Post by Mander » Sat May 19, 2012 5:49 pm

Hello again all! I think the last time I posted here I was all full of positive, wise-sounding thinking on the goals I want to set and how to set them, sticking to the plan, focusing on behavior, etc etc. And then the next day I seemed to just forget that the whole idea even existed and did not even try to follow the plan. Self-sabotage at its worst!

Anyway, I am going to try again. It's nearly dinner time today and I've already snacked my way through the day, so I'll start following the rules again on Monday. But this time I'm only going to focus on making it through the week.

Why is it so hard to change something that I have so desperately wanted to change for so long? It's bizarre when you think about it.
Beginning: about 18.5

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat May 19, 2012 8:26 pm

Mander, start today because today and tomorrow are S days and there is no way you can fail!

Welcome back.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

mimi

Post by mimi » Sun May 20, 2012 1:58 am

Wosnes is right Mander...start today. What better day to start than an S day? :D

Keep going and strive for improvement each day, not perfection. Give yourself credit for even the slightest bit of improvement that you make over what you would have done previously. Praise goes a long way - even when we are giving it to ourselves.
Why is it so hard to change something that I have so desperately wanted to change for so long? It's bizarre when you think about it.
Good question...I have often asked myself that as well. I think, for one, we fear change, especially when we have grown accustomed to comforting ourselves in a certain manner, and in this case, with foods we love. Two, we already know that losing weight takes hard work and effort and it doesn't happen overnight (like most of us wish it did!)...but we can do hard things.

I wish you the best. Keep posting and let us know how it's going!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Mander

Post by Mander » Tue May 22, 2012 7:14 am

Ok, so I took your advice and decided to count Saturday as the first day. So now I have just updated my habit cal and ta-da, I've already done three days!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri May 25, 2012 12:30 am

Actually, when you really examine it, it is not surprising at all that we don't change things we "want" to change. "Wanting" is not supported by brain patterns of behavior except the "wanting," while eating is supported by brain patterns that encourage repeat behavior!

We have to make the decision not to eat when it's HARD to say no, not AFTER we've eaten and it's easy to swear off the food. Saying no when it's hard, repeated, as long as we are not eating too little, will change the pattern.

And remember, food is one of the most basic reinforcers you can find, so it may take longer than you want.

and if you read the article on the thread Do the Math, you'll see that it takes about three YEARS for the body to adjust.

So start now and keep going! Sooner you start and the more you keep going, the sooner you get to three years!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri May 25, 2012 4:59 pm

oolala53 wrote:We have to make the decision not to eat when it's HARD to say no, not AFTER we've eaten and it's easy to swear off the food. Saying no when it's hard, repeated, as long as we are not eating too little, will change the pattern.

And remember, food is one of the most basic reinforcers you can find, so it may take longer than you want.

and if you read the article on the thread Do the Math, you'll see that it takes about three YEARS for the body to adjust.

So start now and keep going! Sooner you start and the more you keep going, the sooner you get to three years!
So wise... I need to copy and paste this to my daily. Hope you don't mind.

Good luck, and keep going Mander. We are here for you! Set that habbit!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon May 28, 2012 7:57 pm

Best of luck this round, Mander. May it be the one that does the trick for you and cements the habit.
Because the "I" is really a divided being. There's the rational "I," and the appetitive "I," that wants something quite different. It's like you're siamese twins with a ravenous wild boar. And the way you train your appetite is the same way, basically you'd train a real wild animal: be clear and firm and consistent. Get up every time it knocks you down. As soon as it becomes convinced that you'll really do that, again and again and again, it'll submit, you'll have tamed it. So if you should get knocked off the wagon again, however hard, consider it a teachable moment: your appetite is watching carefully to see how you respond.
Last edited by reinhard on Tue May 29, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Tue May 29, 2012 8:34 pm

Brilliant advice, Reinhard. So needed it as well. Thanks for the analogies. It really helps me visual this whiny little toddler appetite who needs firm boundaries! (Can you tell I have toddlers?).
I'll remember this next time I hear those two "voices"!
Last edited by lbb (Liz) on Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue May 29, 2012 9:41 pm

I don't know which is worse, the idea of training the wild boar or the toddler.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Mander

Post by Mander » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:35 am

Having watched my cousins' toddlers, I think the toddler is by far the scarier proposition!

This is a very vivid analogy, though, Reinhard -- thanks!

3-0-7 girl

Post by 3-0-7 girl » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:38 pm

Because the "I" is really a divided being. There's the rational "I," and the appetitive "I," that wants something quite different. It's like you're siamese twins with a ravenous wild boar. And the way you train your appetite is the same way, basically you'd train a real wild animal: be clear and firm and consistent. Get up every time it knocks you down. As soon as it becomes convinced that you'll really do that, again and again and again, it'll submit, you'll have tamed it. So if you should get knocked off the wagon again, however hard, consider it a teachable moment: your appetite is watching carefully to see how you respond.
This PROFOUND. Love it 8) :idea:
3-0-7 girl

Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse; A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you this day: And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the LORD your God… (Dt. 11:26-28.)