Sugar Binge

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

megan

Sugar Binge

Post by megan » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:28 pm

It was all going so well- but I slipped up spectacularly with a full blown sugar binge. I just cannot eat it in moderation- has anyone else cut sugar out completely regardless of the day of the week? When I am tired and stressed, I just crave biscuits, chocolate and cake but it makes me fee so guilty and lethargic....

Gobble

Post by Gobble » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:51 pm

It is hard, Megan, and even though I have not lost any weight yet on the No S I can say that I don't have those 'I just have to binge' times anymore.

When I need a lift I fill a quart jar with the juice from 1/2 a lemon, a few drops of lemon stevia, and ice water...then drink it down. Another thing is to make sure you always have protein with your carbs at meals. Also, this little 3 minute exercise is great to do after a meal or whenever you are needing a boost.....it is almost an instant rev-up.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsURicKB_G8
SW-210.8
GW-199 (comfortable weight for now)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:55 am

Almost no-longtermers cut out sugar, especially not early on. Some of them find they don't eat it very often, but it's not out of denial.

You cannot judge your ability to eat sugar in moderation without many months of compliance with green N days, and even then the odds are against you! Meaning that swearing off certain foods is as unsuccessful in the long run as traditional dieting, probably even more se. It's one of only two things recommended against by weight loss research reviewer Richard Baumgarten. Give up the notion that you are going to give up sugar forever and commit to the more realistic idea that you ARE going to learn to eat sugar moderately by DOING it on one or two days a week. You CAN do it in much the same way you complete green N days. AFTER you've accumulated 80 of 100 green N days in a row, if you still need to control yourself, refuse to eat more than a moderate serving of sweet on any one S day. If you haven't done that (80% compliance out of 100 successive N days), then it's likely a premature mod.

Don't be distracted by the mistakes. Keep your attention on your remembered and future successes or other pleasurable or productive thoughts and actions. The less attention you give your bingeing- both the pain and the pleasure-, the better.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

TUK

Post by TUK » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:32 pm

Me too, but it does not happen that often to me. (It used to)

NoS is no magic. Binges won't disappear just because you undertook NoS. The diet is rather cool, and not having binges is a matter of habit. Just say "I screwed up" and then, work to get a green on the following day. You were going "so well", and even with the binge, you're still going "so well". You're able to go well, so keep up.

Perfection is not the goal. Going well is. You're still going well.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:43 am

oolala53 wrote:Almost no-longtermers cut out sugar, especially not early on. Some of them find they don't eat it very often, but it's not out of denial.
I agree. I don't abstain from sugar or sweets. Just because you're stressed or have a craving doesn't mean you have to give into it.

Over the years I've come to realize that Americans are dietary extremists. Having problems overeating something? Well, just eliminate it from your diet. The problem with that is that you're not learning how to incorporate it or deal with it within the rules of No-S or a food culture. You're not learning anything. You're denying yourself pleasure and doing something (giving up a specific food/food group) that is very unusual throughout the world.

Sugar exists and is in our diets in many forms. Learn to deal with it. You don't have to binge on it.

I think bingeing on treats is normal initially because we're used to eating whatever whenever we want it. TUK said "perfection is not the goal." You're not -- or shouldn't be -- trying to be perfect. You should be trying to make progress in developing new habits. Remember: progress, not perfection.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

megan

Post by megan » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:06 pm

Thank you all.
Progress not perfection has now become my signature.
This is priceless advice and I cannot tell you how much stronger I feel reading your kind replies. My ultimate goal is to be happy and content around food and you are right, complete abstinence will never achieve that.
Persevere and build the Habit. Progress not Perfection.
My immediate goal is to complete 21 green days

SW:9.4
CW:
GW:

Ultimate Aim: To live my life and stop dieting

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:40 pm

Could your sugar binge have been an extinction burst?

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... tion+burst

These are a NORMAL part of breaking an old habit and making a new one. Most people who break a bad habit or establish a good one don't just decide to start doing things differently and do them differently from that moment forward, with no backsliding or resentment. That just isn't how it works, for most people and most habits. That's how people THINK it SHOULD work, but it's not how it does work most of the time.

What you want to do is to limit your eating of sweets to S days. If you do that long enough (probably several months to a year), you will get out of the habit of eating sweets. You will eventually find that you have S days where you don't eat any sweets, just because it never crossed your mind to do so. That's what you want, but it takes time to get there. There's no shortcut. It's kind of like cooking a cut of meat with a lot of connective tissue, like a brisket. There is no good, quick way to cook a thick piece of brisket. If you try, you'll just be frustrated. Some things just take time.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:28 am

Even after a couple of years, I still have to make a decision at times NOT to overeat sugar. But I'm glad I didn't try to do it right away.

The desires to overeat them may not just dissipate on their own but after several months, there may be appropriate purposeful limits to impose. They don't have to be as draconian as never eating sugar; it rarely works anyway.

I haven't been willing to impose false limits much. Some things do taste better than being thin feels. :roll:
Last edited by oolala53 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:07 pm

oolala53 wrote: Some things do taste better than being thin feels. :roll:
oolala, I'm afraid that I have to agree with you there. :lol:
That is ALSO my own experience.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com