A side benefit to No S

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ginmarie

A side benefit to No S

Post by ginmarie » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:15 pm

I've now completed 3 weeks of a regular exercise program! On Mon, Wed and Fridays I've been going to our local pool/gym to walk on the machines and swim laps. My bff whose dh used to own a gym has helped me set up a light weight training routine for building core and upper body strength. My bff and I are back to walking our 2 miles once a week as well. I've got a long way to go to reach my idea of "fit", but I feel awesome! I've already noticed that my legs feel stronger and I can walk up hill that my bff and I dubbed Kill-The-Will Hill, without getting nearly as winded. Hooray!
It occurred to me the other day that maybe I'm feeling so confident that I can do this and stick with it it because of already having learned through living No S that I can make healthy changes, and stick to them. Kind of success breeding success? Anyway, I'm going to credit No S. :)
05/14/11 - 165 lbs
05/01/12 - 142 lbs
No S Lifestyle For Keeps :)

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:06 pm

That's great! :D

milliem

Post by milliem » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:32 am

Nice one! :) I'm in week 3 of 'couch 2 5k', running 3 times a week with my OH and it feels great to be getting fitter!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:51 pm

No S does teach that small consistencies really do pay off. Isn't it nice to feel vigor!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:21 pm

I think No S helped me with breastfeeding. Not because I'm on No S while breastfeeding (I'm losing weight now on the baby diet, where my baby doesn't give me a lot of time to eat, so No S as well would be overkill), but because I had a hard time breastfeeding at first. Nicest Baby was in the NICU for a week because she had to be resuscitated after getting stuck and requiring a C-section. They had me pumping milk for her, and were feeding her that from bottles. She preferred bottles of pumped milk to breastfeeding directly, at first. She would fall asleep while breastfeeding, and initially wasn't gaining weight, so I was pumping milk and supplementing breastfeeding with that. I was feeding her every 3 hours, and each feeding was, at first, taking an hour and a half.

But I had learned from doing No S that I could do something that seemed really hard, almost impossible, at first, and that it wouldn't always be that hard. It took a while, but now breastfeeding has gotten easier, just like No S did. Now that we've both gotten the hang of breastfeeding and she no longer prefers the bottle, I've been able to drop the pumping. I suspect this life lesson is applicable to other areas as well.

ginmarie

Post by ginmarie » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:57 am

Thanks for the encouragement :) Week 4 is in the bag. I came to the conclusion today that there are 3 stages to making a lasting habit. Novelty, Nuisance and Normal. I'm somewhere between Novelty and Nuisance, someday regular exercise will be Normal. LOL
05/14/11 - 165 lbs
05/01/12 - 142 lbs

ginmarie

Update :)

Post by ginmarie » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:40 pm

Just finished Week 6 and still going strong! In fact I'm loving my new routine so much I'm feeling sad that I won't be able to go on Monday this next week.
Yesterday I got to the end of my 10 pool lengths (20yds each way) and thought, "Hey, I think I can do another set" and I did, then I still felt like I could keep going, so I did another one. At the end of that one I was about as winded as I used to be at the end of 10 so I decided that was enough. I can't believe how great that felt!!!
05/14/11 - 165 lbs
05/01/12 - 142 lbs

Ani33

Post by Ani33 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:38 pm

ginmarie wrote:Thanks for the encouragement :) Week 4 is in the bag. I came to the conclusion today that there are 3 stages to making a lasting habit. Novelty, Nuisance and Normal. I'm somewhere between Novelty and Nuisance, someday regular exercise will be Normal. LOL
I really like this