Wish Me Luck

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Ruthie71

Wish Me Luck

Post by Ruthie71 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:50 pm

Hi. I am hoping that if I announce my attempt at no s that I will commit. I have a few obstacles.
I have been steadily gaining weight since 2001, putting on a total of 2 stone
I have 3 children aged 5 months, 3 and 5. They are gorgeous but full on.
I am stressed all the time, trying to get things done, including school runs where I have to walk my 5 year old to her classroom and take the baby and toddler as well. It has been raining a lot lately as well.
I am sleep deprived (the baby doesn't sleep through the night)
I am breast feeding and get HUNGRY!!!!
I get no real time to myself, except after the kids have gone to bed, then I usually have to go to bed early to get some sleep before feeding the baby overnight.
Food is something I use as a support. Most of the time I use it to motivate myself to do things I have to do but don't want to do- washing dishes, washing, getting lunch ( I eat lots of bread and margarine whilst making sandwiches)
I am a worrier and tend to think negatively
I am not happy with my weight gain.
No time for regular exercise

Yet, I am here, asking for support. Other people have harder lives than I do and I am blessed. Just overwhelmed.

Thank you.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:14 am

Wow, you do have a lot on your, ahem, plate.

But really, it doesn't take more time to have three meals a day. They don't have to be great meals! They can be very simple, easy stuff.

You think you need food to cope, but you really don't. (I did it for 38 years! and I have GAD. It was an illusion. Catch it now; it will be worth it and good for your children, too.) It really doesn't make things better. It is much better to sip on hot tea while you get other things done and think instead, if you have to, of the meal you will have later or the one you had awhile ago. Delay delay delay. Really! Your life will actually feel less stressful when you are eating sanely.

Eat plenty at your meals, including some fats which take up less room in your stomach. If you tend to get too hungry because of nursing, perhaps save a part of your meal to tide you over, if you think that beverages won't be enough.

You can do this! It will actually make your life easier, once it becomes a habit.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:12 am

Welcome Ruthie! It's so hard being a mom with little ones. I don't know whats it's like to have three but I do have 2 that are two years apart. Those first few years were wonderful & incredibly difficult at the same time. My oldest didn't sleep through the night till she was three so I was waking up for both kids for awhile there. My husband worked constantly so it was all on me.

Just know it gets easier--it really does! My daughters are 8 & 10 now and I'm amazed at how much time I have to relax and focus on my interests now. So hang in there!

As far as NoS goes, it will feel great to have one area in your life in control since life is bound to be pretty chaotic right now. It will be a great gift to yourself and you will learn to eat normally which will make you a great role model for the kids.

Also I used to reward myself with food but now I usually reward myself w a little computer time or tv.

Best of luck & you might want to check out the "daily check in" area to get more support and help keep you accountable.

Linda :)
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

tobiasmom

Hey

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:44 am

Welcome! I just wanted to say hi and encourage you! You CAN do this! I, too, am breast feeding full-time my non-sleeper (ha). I also homeschool my 6-year-old. Throwing a toddler into the mix must be fun, fun, fun :). BUT I promise you that three good meals is enough. I've had no milk supply issues. I was hungry at first, but it just takes your mind and body a little time to adjust (whether breast feeding or not). No pressure. Just take it one meal at a time. This is something soooo good to do for YOU! And you ARE exercising....walking to school!

I'm rooting for you, Girl!!

Ruthie71

Post by Ruthie71 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:36 am

Thank you so much. I have failed again- I am grumpy and feel like a zombie. It would be awesome to get 21 days of success in a row. Monday I will try again and use the daily check in. Thanks for your encouraging words x

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:48 pm

Ruthie71 wrote:Thank you so much. I have failed again- I am grumpy and feel like a zombie. It would be awesome to get 21 days of success in a row. Monday I will try again and use the daily check in. Thanks for your encouraging words x
I think there are at least a few of us who have NEVER had 21 successful days in a row. And we've still lost weight and continue to follow the habits. It's not about 21 successful days, it's about more successes than failures.

Being 100% successful for any length of time has never been my goal. Being more successful than I was in the past has been my goal.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:39 pm

See if you can get through 4 days. Friday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday would work. On each day, just go from meal to meal. Eat plenty at meal time and then your between-meal mantra will be "It's hard but not too hard. It's worth it to wait to eat." Say the last one much like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. "There's no place like home. There's no place like home."

No S CAN be a new "home" in a way eating may not have been for a long time.

Stress doesn't make you eat. It makes you WANT to eat. Let the self that wants peace and kindly order with food get stronger than the self that wants to eat. Every time you choose not to eat between meals, you add to your peace bank. You don't have to fill it in a few days, but add as often as you can.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)