Tomorrow is Saturday, but...

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
kayvan

Tomorrow is Saturday, but...

Post by kayvan » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:02 am

Tomorrow is Saturday but I still feel like flinging the Shovelglove around.

My question to you all: Should I? or should I deny myself the pleasure until the next legal day (Monday morning)?
Father, Husband, Writer, Software Geek.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:43 am

I understand your enthusiasm... but I would skip it. That way you'll appreciate it more Monday. N-days shouldn't seem like drudgery, they should be a valuable opportunity. S-days make them that way.

Otherwise you're going to think you have some credit built up and start to skip N-days. No N day will seem quite as compelling once you start to "trade," and then the whole thing breaks down. You'll start to agonize "should I do this?" every morning and all too often the answer you'll come up with is "no."

It may sound funny that restraining yourself is almost as important as motivating yourself, but it's true. You need breaks sometime, and so you might as well make them regular or habit is never going to get it.

Reinhard

kayvan

Post by kayvan » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:05 pm

Okay, thanks for the answer. I'll skip today and tomorrow and get back to it on Monday morning.
Father, Husband, Writer, Software Geek.