ManOnWire's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ManOnWire

ManOnWire's Daily Check In

Post by ManOnWire » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:27 am

Hello,

My name is Andrew. I'm 34 and live in New York City. I've got a little over 100 pounds to lose and I've decided to start today.

For a diet I'm going to try to tend towards lower carb, and tend towards lower calorie. But on those days when my will-power or the circumstances prevent me from keeping to that, I'm going to try to at least remain in the bounds of No-S.

For exercise I'm going to be doing Urban Ranger and Shovelglove.

I'll be checking in daily to track my diet and exercise.

Starting weight - 298

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:33 am

Hey there! Nice to meet you.

ManOnWire

Post by ManOnWire » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:46 pm

Nice to meet you too, Who Me.

So... I stepped on the scale one day in... and I'm down 4 pounds. At this rate I should reach my goal of 100 pounds in just under a month, and then it's, "so long suckers!"

Okay, I realize this is just the result of indulging quite a bit on Saturday, and I don't really expect to see numbers like that on the scale for a week, much less for a day. But still, it's good to see.

No-S: Success
Urban Ranger: Success (1 mile)

April 16th, Starting Weight: 298
Current Weight: 294

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:45 pm

ManOnWire wrote:So... I stepped on the scale one day in... and I'm down 4 pounds. At this rate I should reach my goal of 100 pounds in just under a month, and then it's, "so long suckers!"
:lol:

r.jean

Welcome

Post by r.jean » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:50 am

Welcome! Keep that sense of humor and you will do fine...
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

ManOnWire

Post by ManOnWire » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:05 pm

Day Two

I've already changed one part of my plan. Yes, two days in I'm already making changes. Originally I said I'm going to tend towards low-carb. I've decided not to concern myself with that. I don't want to have to worry about too many variables. For now let's concentrate on not eating so much.

Started shovelglove on Day 2. Starting slowly. Adding a new move each day until I'm up to 14 minutes.

Urban Ranger: Success (2 miles)
Shovelglove: Success

ManOnWire

Post by ManOnWire » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Day Three

Weight (4/17/10) - 298
Weight today - 292

ManOnWire

Post by ManOnWire » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:52 pm

Day Four

Did shovelglove last night stark naked. Was about to go take a shower, remembered I wanted to get my shovelglove in first, but had already disrobed. My sledgehammer didn't even have a sweatshirt on it. We were both in the buff. As a man, doing shovelglove naked adds a whole new element of risk to it. Not recommended.

Grace

Post by Grace » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:55 pm

ManOnWire wrote:Day Four

Did shovelglove last night stark naked. Was about to go take a shower, remembered I wanted to get my shovelglove in first, but had already disrobed. My sledgehammer didn't even have a sweatshirt on it. We were both in the buff. As a man, doing shovelglove naked adds a whole new element of risk to it. Not recommended.

That cracked me up!! Welcome! You live in one cool city. If I lived in NYC I'd be eating dim sum in Chinatown every day! :)

Again, welcome!
:) Naomi
I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me! :)

ManOnWire

Post by ManOnWire » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:13 pm

Day Five

Literally just forgot to do shovelglove yesterday. Need to work on ingraining the habit so it doesn't just slip my mind. Otherwise, all went well.

Shovelglove: Failure

ManOnWire

Post by ManOnWire » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:31 pm

Day Six

Ouch, rough day.

No-S: Failure
Urban Ranger: Success (1 mile)
Shovelglove: Failure

Hoda

Post by Hoda » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:37 pm

ManofWire,

I am 30 and about 80 lbs overweight and started on Sunday! I don't think I've jumped as fully into it as you yet. I'm just working on the no-s part but have not incorporated Shovelglove or Urban Ranger yet. I just wanted stop in offer some words of encourgament from a guy that is in your same boat!

One thing I did notice is you are on day 6, shouldn't day 6 be an S day or are you waiting for the weekend?

Keep up the good work and I look forward to following your progress in an effort to help keep me motivated!

Josh
Starting Stats (4-24-2011): 30 Years Old 5'10" 260 lbs.
Current Weight (5-6-2011) 256.8
Weight Lost: 3.2 lbs!!!

Goals:
180-200 lbs
Feel more energized
Pick up jogging and some day do a marathon!