DNS server problems

Talk about anything. Just keep it civil.
gj

DNS server problems

Post by gj » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:49 am

The last couple of weeks, the dns server for everydaysystems.com seems to work only sporadically.

This time however, the caching (dns)-proxy on my laptop was still caching the ip-adress, just squid (on my server) could not resolve the hostname. So I have configured firefox to not use the http-proxy for everydaysystems.com .

When the proxy server stops caching the record, I will simply put it in my /etc/hosts - I wrote the ip adress down this time ;-)

Still, this is probably not a solution for the general population - for once, if/when the ip-address changes, they 'd have to remember to remove their hosts entry.

Would it be possible to move away from using porkloin.net for dns service? One alternative would be zoneedit.com - I never used them myself because I have not had to, but I think the squeak guys use them for dns resolution.

gj

Post by gj » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:10 am

Ahem, the squeak guys have their own dns servers, it would seem. But I remember they used zoneedit when transitioning to their new web page.

A google search also revealed granitecanyon.com which seems to be completely free. I dont know anyone who used it, though

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:36 pm

Hi Jürgen,

We're working on this... thanks for the nudge, sorry for the inconvenience.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:59 am

I think we should be ok now. Let me know if you run into this again.

We have another unrelated problem to deal with, which is the webserver itself. It's been crashing at least weekly for the past few months. We have the replacement, but the time has been lacking. Hopefully this weekend...

gj

Post by gj » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:41 am

Excellent!

What's the problem with the webserver?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:55 pm

Everything. :wink:

We think this particular problem may have to do with bad memory, but it's really old (20th century), and we're just going to replace the whole thing.