Salad Dressings

Talk about anything. Just keep it civil.
ItsTime2Shine

Salad Dressings

Post by ItsTime2Shine » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:33 am

Did you know Kraft has over 50 different salad dressings? Do you use any? Which is your favorite?

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:59 am

i always make my own dressing..sometimes just use a little balsamic vinegar and skip the oil, other times use olive oil and lemon juice or olive oil and some type of vinegar and a little garlic and/or mustard.
there are so many additives in commercial dressings and it only takes a moment to mix up your own.
One of my friends always makes her dressing in the bottom of the salad bowl and adds the greens on top and then mixes it at the table when everyone is assembled. Makes for a nice presentation and fresh tasting salad.
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

ItsTime2Shine

Post by ItsTime2Shine » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:57 pm

Yum Grammy, the homemade dressing sounds great! I love garlic, so adding garlic in dressing sound delicious! What’s your favorite salad that you like to make with your dressings? We have tons of great recipes on our SaladCenter website. Here’s one of my favorites:

Strawberry-Candied Pecan Salad

Prep Time: 10 min * Total Time: 10 min * Makes: 4 servings

What you Need:

1 pkg. (5 oz.) mixed baby greens
3/4 cup sliced fresh strawberries
1/4 cup KRAFT Shredded Parmesan Cheese
1/4 cup sliced red onions
1/4 cup PLANTERS Pecan Pieces, candied
1/4 cup KRAFT Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing

What to Do:

COMBINE all ingredients except dressing.

TOSS with dressing just before serving.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:14 pm

I also always make my own dressings. I have some cardiac health issues and my doctor told me to avoid processed foods. So I do -- and it's made a huge difference. One of my favorite things to do is take recipes that call for processed ingredients and rework them to use "real" food. They rarely take much longer to make than the recipes that use processed food, are often cheaper, and, I think, taste better. Not to mention that they're healthier.

One of my daughters uses a store bought dressing on her daily lunch salad (at work). When she brings the container home and it goes into the dishwasher, the smell gags me -- all those chemicals.

Your salad sounds good, but I'd just use my own dressing (recipe below) using balsamic vinegar.

Dressing takes about a minute to make. One of my favorites is a 3-2-1 dressing:

3 parts oil
2 parts vinegar or citrus juice
1 part honey (or other sweetener) -- which can be optional
Salt and pepper to taste

Stir ingredients together

My "part" is usually a tablespoon and I sometimes add a teaspoon of dijon mustard and/or a teaspoon of soy sauce. They just add to the depth of taste.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."