two recipe questions

Talk about anything. Just keep it civil.
wosnes

two recipe questions

Post by wosnes » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:49 pm

1. Does anyone subscribe to Cook's Illustrated -- the magazine or online? Supposedly they have a recipe for beef stock that uses ground beef and I'd like to try it.

2. I can't find my recipe for Toll House Original Chocolate Chip Cookies, so I looked it up online. I'd noticed this before, but does anyone else remember the "original" recipe having a teaspoon of water in it? I remember that from when I was a teenager (1960s).
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Blithe Morning

Re: two recipe questions

Post by Blithe Morning » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:33 am

wosnes wrote:1. Does anyone subscribe to Cook's Illustrated -- the magazine or online? Supposedly they have a recipe for beef stock that uses ground beef and I'd like to try it.
I do not. That sounds interesting though. How do you get stock without bones? Have you checked the library?

2. I can't find my recipe for Toll House Original Chocolate Chip Cookies, so I looked it up online. I'd noticed this before, but does anyone else remember the "original" recipe having a teaspoon of water in it? I remember that from when I was a teenager (1960s).[/quote]

It very well may have. According to Secrets of Really Good Chocolate Chip Cookies, a little milk (or maybe water?) added to the dough will make the cookies less hard and crunchy.

With my new guideline of "Homemade treats when at home", I'm very interested in perfecting a couple of good cookie recipes.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:36 pm

You can do a search on www.food.com or ask these questions on their boards. it's a good resource I hardly buy cookbooks or food magazines anymore.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy