Music Mixers

Talk about anything. Just keep it civil.
Hunter Gatherer

Music Mixers

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:00 pm

So does anyone know anything about computer programs for making/mixing music? I'm going to start looking around for one, and I thought I might as well ask here.

What I'd like:

a GPL (General Public Licence) product

a product that produces both mp3s and oggs

a product kinda like the dinky little keyboard that I had as a kid (producing noises based on a variety of instruments)

a product that you can record your voice on as well. I want to be able to sing and record it.
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:21 pm

Kinda silly to reply to myself, but I've already had some luck finding things.

I'm gonna look at these two for a bit.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:55 pm

Hi HG!

I just learned about audacity from a friend and have been using it for basic recordings of my voice and guitar!
Try it out!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:39 am

So what do you use for pickup? I have a dinky microphone for Teamspeak and that kind of thing, BUT.... it's dinky. I'm thinking of investing in a real microphone if it isn't insanely complex and/or expensive.

I found this guide

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

and it seems really helpful, but also intimidating.

Any advice for a beginner Deb?
Dashiell Hammett

JWL

Post by JWL » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:31 am

Hi Huntergatherer,

Are you running Linux? I only ask because you mention the GPL. If you are, I strongly recommend checking out Planet CCRMA, which is an add-on to Fedora Core that will get you set up with more GPL'd audio production software than you can shake a stick at.

I'm a pretty hardcore Linux devotee, but sadly Linux audio apps aren't really up to the standards of Windows or Mac OS X. I am a professional recording engineer, and I'm stuck using Sonar on Windows XP for the moment. I wish I could afford apple hardware!

The Linux stuff should be more than adequate for the average home user, though. The granddaddy of all Linux Audio Applications is probably Ardour. Check that one out.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:45 am

Hi Hunter!
I want to hear you sing!
Hey, I can send you a file of me singing if you can open Ogg Vorbis files..

I would just take JWL's advice.. He has good resources and lots of experience and is the nicest recording engineer around!

If you send me your email to my email I'll send you a file of me and Richard singing!
Laaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(But you may regret it! LOL...)

Peace and Love,
Deb
ps.. my email is updated and I don't think I changed it on my profile so here it is:

Deborahfederlmt@msn.com

pps.. I used to have, wait, I still have, a dinky keyboard with weird sounds on it that are real cheesy! It's fun! :)
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness