Does the No S Diet help those who don't have a lot to lose?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

skinnyfat

Does the No S Diet help those who don't have a lot to lose?

Post by skinnyfat » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:07 pm

I started the No S diet in maybe February, when counting calories no longer helped my weight loss.

To be clear, I am thin, but I have 10-15 lbs of pure excess fat left on my body that I'd like to get rid of.

At first, I saw results, but after a month or so, I stalled again - even though my body fat percentage was still too high to be healthy, or as fit as I'd like.

After no change for a few weeks, I gradually stopped the No S diet.

Now I've gained weight after a long summer vacation and I'm ready to try again. But I want to ask, have any other skinny fat people had success on the No S diet?

I know it works for people who are chronically overeating, but as a lifelong thin person, I've never really eaten a lot of sweets, or had seconds, etc.

I just want to reduce my overall body fat percentage - I already work out and strength train 3-5 days a week.

Anyone else like me?

I'm 5'8, 130 lbs, but very petite frame. My body fat percentage is 23-25% (varies, as tests can be inaccurate), and I'd like to get around the 18% range.

I would also like to add, when I say I want to lose 10-15 lbs of FAT, I don't mean I'd like to weigh 115 lbs. I want to build up more muscle, so my actual # may not change. It's more about that percentage for me.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:15 pm

Weight-training might be the ticket for you. Have you checked out shovelglove? :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:17 pm

Can I ask if you are a man or a woman?

If you are a woman, 23 - 25% body fat is perfectly within the healthy range. I'm a 35 year old woman of your height and weight, and the smallest frame size too. I maintain my current weight on No S, along with cycling and lifting weights. So, in that sense, it helps me, and I didn't have a heap to lose.

For a woman essential fat is 10 - 13%, athletes 14 - 20%, fit 21 - 24, average (but still healthy!) 25 - 30%. No S, and the everyday systems for exercise (Urban Ranger and Shovelglove) are moderate programs, aiming to get you in good shape for life. If you are a woman wanting teen body fat numbers (i.e. athlete numbers), moderate effort will probably not get that for you, you'll probably have to do something more intense to get you there. If you are a man, depending on your genetics, 18% may still be a relatively high fitness goal, but more achievable. Also, it is unlikely that you would maintain that percentage for life - even professional athletes don't.

Gaining muscle can be difficult, unless you are particularly genetically gifted. There are plenty of good resources around about gaining muscle (lifting heavy, but not too often, making sure you're not doing too much catabolic cardio, eating right to support muscle growth).

Finally, 1 month is a very short timeframe. Even an intense program is unlikely to drop your body fat substantially in one month. No S, Shovelglove, Urban Ranger: these are systems that are intended to become habits and show results in the long (years) term.

Good luck with your endeavours!

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:30 am

Yes...
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:01 am

If eating is not your problem, I wouldn't bother fixing something that works for you. NoS might not be the system for you. I would look at shovelglove and urbanranger and maybe get your own system going for something more extreme.

Plus, I like Ironchef's facts.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:44 pm

I'm a woman, and for me, weightlifting with heavy weights is the key. I love the Body for Life lifting program - I see quick progress in increasing the amount of weight I can lift. I also do the weight lifting in a circuit style, so it only takes about 20-30 minutes. I also think the HIIT (high intensity interval training), which is part of Body for Life, is a key for me too.

Now, I do a lot of kettlebells and more classes versus pure weight lifting. With kettlebells you get circuit training, full body training, and a lot of core work. I just started a class with really heavy (for me) kettlebells, like 30 to 50 pounds, which I am really enjoying.

Not sure if you're focused on weight or not, but when I was in my best shape, I lost two clothing sizes but stayed the same weight because I gained a lot of muscle and lost fat. So, I don't like to really focus on weight.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:25 am

I got the best results of my life (both bodyfat % and VO2 max) when I was doing things like the 300 workout: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/300_workout.htm. High intensity, heavy weights, little or no resting. It was good fun and we did it as a competition at our gym. It wasn't "moderate", but not everything has to be. Even with that, I never was someone who was able to put on a lot of muscle - that's just my genes.

However, I wasn't able to keep that effort level up forever, and certainly not after I had a small child and was working again. So, that is where Reinhard's everyday systems come in. To me, the systems give me a moderate minimum - if I decide to do some more challenging things from there, that's a bonus, but I'll never fall below that minimum.