What can I expect from No-S

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoelFigart

What can I expect from No-S

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:35 pm

I'm a data geek. I teach Excel, so I am always looking for ways to express data in different formats available to a spreadsheet to keep my skills sharp. Diet and weight loss, being biological and therefore non-linear data sets, are great for this use.

Now, I weigh every day. I don't recommend this unless you're either emotionally uninvolved in your daily weight fluctuation (it WILL fluctuate), or you track your weight then plot it on some sort of smoothed curve. (I use a ten day weighted average). I ran the numbers this morning while prepping for a class and found them interesting.

I am also a short, middle-aged, chronic yo-yo dieter.

I can pretty much count on losing about a half a pound a week on No-S if I get in about four hours a week of exercise, which is easily covered by Urban Ranger even if I were not swimming a lot.

Slow?

Lord love you, yes! I keep going to faster methods, then getting disgusted and going back to No-S, unfortunately. I really need to beat that impatience to death with a stick.

Thing is, there are little things within my diet that makes this work pretty easily and unobtrusively.

1. Snacking isn't much of a siren call any more. I enjoy snacking and do a bit on weekends, but it's just not this out of control thing it once was. That's just a habit thing, I think, and I don't think anyone has any business even looking at S-days until your N days are green.

2. I finally got in the habit of eating substantial meals. For years diet-head had me eating this minuscule meal and being uncomfortably hungry for a snack many hours before a meal. I had to learn to eat a meal that seemed "too large."

3. I had to learn about hunger. Being uncomfortable and stomach growling two hours before a meal means I ate too little at the previous meal. Being uncomfortably hungry and stomach growling a half an hour before a meal is about right, and it means that even the plainest meal is going to taste AWESOME. Yep, the whole "you'll spoil your dinner" thing is absolutely right. Eating should be pleasurable and satisfying, and this helps in an appropriate manner.[/list][/list]
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:57 am

Thanks for such a thoughtful post.

Speaking as a short, middle aged (is 57 middle aged? probably not) yoyo dieter, I can relate to your words.

Slow is a good thing. I need to remember that too.
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

lin47

Re: What can I expect from No-S

Post by lin47 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:08 pm

NoelFigart wrote:Being uncomfortably hungry and stomach growling a half an hour before a meal is about right, and it means that even the plainest meal is going to taste AWESOME. Yep, the whole "you'll spoil your dinner" thing is absolutely right. Eating should be pleasurable and satisfying, and this helps in an appropriate manner.[/list][/list]
Yes, yes, yes!! Why can't I remember this when the hunger strikes. Hunger really is the best seasoning.