MerryKat's (Mo's) Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MerryKat

MerryKat's (Mo's) Daily Check In

Post by MerryKat » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:44 pm

I started the No S Plan on Friday 26th August and I have just fallen into the plan as if it was made for me.

I have had 1 day that was a battle (Thursday 8th September) - I was snacky all day, but I resisted and other than that my N days have been easy.

I have been tempted to binge on my S days, but with a bit of thought it has been easy (and much more enjoyable) to go and get exactly what I want and then there is no need to binge on rubbish.

I am no longer a member of the clean plate club - Yipee!!! And a packet of sweets (my treat last night) no longer means I have to eat them all - WOW that is a really amazing thing for me.

17 days down as of last night and many many more to go.

I have even started to do my exercising more regularly - I have been using the exercise plan from the Hacker's Diet and it works for me as it is quick and I can squeeze it in any time - better a little than nothing. Yesterday I re-started the 8 Minutes in the Morning exercises (trying to do them in the morning) again as well as the exercise plan from the Hacker's Diet (for some evening exercise) and I managed to do the 8MM last night.
Last edited by MerryKat on Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:50 pm

Awesome good news!!!!!!!!
Yeah!!!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb
ps.. Your kids look like two cute little elves!
My son mentioned that they are so cute this morning! Hee!

peetie

Post by peetie » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:06 pm

Mo - That was what was surprising to me too. That there are delicious foods to be enjoyed EVERY DAY, and they don't have to be bad for you either. Some things that taste good actually aren't 100% sugar!!!! Amazing!

Peetie

Lethaltoenails

Post by Lethaltoenails » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:47 am

You just have to start wondering when the craving for asparagus and brussels sprouts begins... instead of the one for chocolate and ice cream... then you can't understand how you ever got by on anything less than healthier food.

Keep up the good work! This plan is FUN!

:D

MerryKat

Day 18: Success

Post by MerryKat » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:49 am

Day 18 - Monday 12th September 05: SUCCESS

It was an easy day with no snacking urges.

I was very pleased when I made my littlest guy a sandwich and cut the crusts off and I was not tempted to eat them, I just threw them away (Score one for me against the unconcious eating monster!)

Exercise - 8 Minutes in the Morning (done at night)

Debs: thanks for the coments about my boys. They are really sweet boys and I am very blessed & they are my darlings.

Have a stunning Tuesday
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:16 pm

Yeah Mo for not eating those crusts :!: :!: :!:

I have 2 boys, 7 and 11 and I have been known to still eat crusts. But I do it now only on S days!!! It's such an mindless thing, but it sure adds up doesn't it?

My boys are in school full time now but I remember how difficult is was being home with little snackers.

You are doing a terrific job.

Dru

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:52 pm

I work full day and my eldest (7 1/2 yrs) is at school and my youngest (1 yr) is with a day-mother full day, so the temptation during the day is less than mornings and evenings - but I have been known to make up for an excellent day OP by binging in the evenings! :shock:

Thankfully with No S is is way under control and I am definitely thinking before putting food in my mouth.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:52 pm

Way to go Mo!!!!!!!
Love,
8) Deb

MerryKat

Day 19: Success

Post by MerryKat » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:44 am

Day 19: Tuesday 13th September 05 SUCCESS

No problems today with the eating side and I did both my 8mm (in the morning) and my Hacker's exercise last night.

I am feeling GREAT!!!

Debs & Dru - thanks for all the encouragement and the great example you guys set.

Have a stunning Wednesday

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:43 pm

Hi Ya Mo:

I love the idea of a "Stunning Wednesday".

I will try to have one. :D

I shall kick up my heels and have a nice cup of Bush Tea after my workout.

Keep going Crust Free.

Dru

MerryKat

Day 20: Success

Post by MerryKat » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:41 am

Day 20 Wednesday 14th September : SUCCESS

I hope your Wednesday was stunning - mine was!! :P :P

I did my morning and evening exercise - twice in one day is an amazing achievement for me.

Food wise I could not finish my lunch, just too much to eat and dinner I also dished up too much for myself. This is an amazing feeling and to be full with a half full plate is great.

I was tempted by the Liquorice Allsorts I have left in the cupboard from Sunday, but it was fairly easy to head the feeling off with the promise of Saturday.

I hope your Thursday ROCKS!!!!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:22 pm

Merrykat, I'm happy things are going so well for you. Unfinished lunch, resisted temptations -- this is great stuff! Looking forward to reading more.

Reinhard

MerryKat

Day 21: Success

Post by MerryKat » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:51 am

Day 21 Thursday 15th September 2005: SUCCESS

Another wonderful No S day.

I reduced my dinner last night so that I could have some strawberries and ice cream to celebrate 21 successful days - virtual plate comfortably full but not loaded. In the past I would have had a full plate and strawberries and ice cream (probably multiple ice cream servings!)

I did my 8mm and Hackers exercises and feeling great for it.

I have not lost in the last 21 days, but I feel way smaller and my clothes feel better.

Here's to the next 21.

Reinhard thanks for the message of support.

Tonsha

Post by Tonsha » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:01 am

Well done Mo! Keep going!

Remember: "We're in it for the long haul". "It's a marathon, not a sprint". And...

"There's no such thing as failure on an S Day! :lol:

DaveA
"The best diet is the one you don’t know you’re on" - Brian Wansink

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:15 am

Thanks Dave

This is one long haul I am really looking forward to.

MerryKat

Day A1: Success

Post by MerryKat » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:12 pm

Day A1 Friday 16th September 2005: SUCCESS

Eating and Exercising On Plan

MerryKat

Days A2 & A3 & A4 - S Days

Post by MerryKat » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:33 pm

Day A2 - Saturday - SICK
Day A3 - Sunday - SICK
Day A4 - Monday - SICK

I developed a gastric bug on Saturday, so the weekend became Sick days. The strange thing was that even though I was only eating dry toast or marie biscuits I pretty much stayed with 3 meals a day.

It truly is amazing what the body adapts to and I find this an awesome success for me that even when sick I instinctively stuck to the 3 meals a day.

Thankfully I am feeling better today (Tuesday)

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:37 pm

*hugs*.

Hope you get completely recovered in next to no time! being ill is not a recommended weight-loss strategy, generally :?

C.
CaroleJo

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:06 pm

Thanks CarolJo
I agree it is rather a drastic way to loose weight.

I know that this week will most probably be a big loss and then the following week will be a gain, this is what my body does to average out the dehydration problem.

MerryKat

Day 5: Success

Post by MerryKat » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:39 am

Day 5 20th September 2005: SUCCESS

I started the day still feeling a little poorly from the gastro, but definitely got stronger as the day progressed.

I did 100% with my eating but no exercising as the energy levels were still down.

Have a Wacky Wednesday

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:08 pm

So sorry about your virus Mo..
Stomach viruses are the absolute worst.....
Lots of fluid my friend... More than you think you need...
Tons and tons..
Gatorade isn't a bad thing to have too, since it helps with the dehydration, and let's face it, water is okay, but when you really need to have more than normal, it does get a bit bland!
Rest and recover soon!
Love,
8) Deb

MerryKat

Day A6: Success

Post by MerryKat » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:32 pm

Day A6 21st September 2005: SUCCESS

Another good food day with no exercise due to recovery.

Debs thanks for the kind wishes and advice.

MerryKat

Day A7: Success

Post by MerryKat » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:38 pm

Day A7 22nd September 2005: SUCCESS

I have lost 0.3kg (0.66lb) this week - I am sure a part of this is due to the gastro and I will gain it back next week, but at the same time my clothing is definitely fitting better and people around me are starting to notice.

My eating today (breakfast & lunch) have been 100% on track.

I was feeling better this morning and I did my 8 Minutes in the Morning.

To complete the day- dinner went well. I ate a bit more than usual as my MIL had brought watermelon for dessert, but as I was not stuffed by the end (like in the past) I consider today to still be successful.
Last edited by MerryKat on Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:39 pm

Hey Mo, no problem...
Hope your family is managing without Supermom, and helping you out for a while!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

MerryKat

Days 29 - 31

Post by MerryKat » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:45 pm

Ok, I am changing my numbering of days completed from A1 to following on sequentially - 22, 23

Day 29 Friday 23rd September 2005: SUCCESS

Eating - 100% :D
Exercise - 8mm, but not up to evening exercise :roll:

Day 30 & 31 - S Days

I had 1/2 packet of liquorice all sorts each evening after dinner and saturday was 4 small meals rather than my usual 3 but it was nice to still feel in control of my eating and able to enjoy my weekend. I really enjoyed my liquorice allsorts.

Have a super week

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:19 pm

Glad you enjoyed your licorice!
I think you are the only person here who is a licorice gal! LOL...
You have a super week too Ms. Mo!!!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

MerryKat

Day 32: Success

Post by MerryKat » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:41 am

Day 32 Monday 26th September 2005: SUCCESS

I am back up to speed with my exercising - 8mm (morning) and Hacker's plan (evening)

Eating went well with no problems.

Hey Deb - That just means that there is all the more for me - LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have a happening Tuesday

MerryKat

Days 33 & 34: Success

Post by MerryKat » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:44 pm

Day 33 Tuesday 27th September 2005: SUCCESS

Eating and Exercise were on track

Day 34 Tuesday 28th September 2005: SUCCESS

Eating and morning Exercise were on track, for some reason I was totally wiped out yesterday afternoon and I just did not feel able to do my afternoon exercise.

MerryKat

Day 35 - S day

Post by MerryKat » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:55 pm

Day 35 Thursday 29th September 2005

I gained a little (0.7kg - 1.54lb) this week, but I think it could be due to a variety of things. Over all in the last 5 weeks I have gained 0.5kg (1.1lb) but I am sure this is muscle.

Two weeks ago I took my measurements and when I measured this morning I have lost 2.5cm in total - 1cm from my waist, 1cm from my hips and 0.5cm from my buttocks. I am sorry I did not measure myself before I started No S as I think it could have been impressive.

I did my 8mm to start the day, but did not have time to do the evening exercise as we were going to friends for dinner. I had dessert (fruit salad and icecream - half the portion I would have previously eaten) and a sweet with coffee, so I decided to make it an "s" day and enjoy it. I really enjoyed myself and I did not overindulge as I once would have so I am feeling really pleased with myself.

Have a great day

MerryKat

Day 36 & 37 & 38

Post by MerryKat » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:30 pm

Day 36 Friday 30th September 2005: SUCCESS

Started the day well with my 8mm. This became a S day as I left work early to go to the doctor with another bout of gastro! So Lunch and Dinner were basically nothing but flat coke.

Day 37 - S Day
I barely ate as I was still feeling grim - toast and flat coke

Day 38 - S Day
Ate 3 meals (some strange items) and had a little chocolate after dinner.
Last edited by MerryKat on Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:44 pm

Feel better Mo....
Love,
8) Deb

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:45 am

Hey Mo:

I read somewhere on this board that S days can also stand for Sick days.

I hope you are back to your perky self soon!!

Dru

MerryKat

Day 39 & 40: Success

Post by MerryKat » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:45 am

Thanks for the get well wishes - I am feeling better today. Hopefully that is the end of the illness for this year.

Day 39 Monday 3rd October 2005: SUCCESS

Eating - no problems

Exercise - did Monday and Saturday (missed due to illness) 8 Minutes in the Morning

Day 40 Tuesday 4th October 2005: SUCCESS

Eating - was a battle after dinner as I felt like munching - no idea why - and I resisted.

Exercise - 8 Minutes in the Morning

MerryKat

Days 41 & 42: Success

Post by MerryKat » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:56 am

Day 41 Wednesday 5th October 2005: SUCCESS

Eating was fine.

Exercise - did 8mm and 20 Hindu Squats followed by 10 more after a rest - wow do those work!

Day 42 Thursday 6th October 2005: SUCCESS

Eating was fine

Exercise - did 8mm and 25 Hindu Squats - Ouch!!

This completes my second set of 21 days.

I don't think I will post my daily results from now as it feels too much like journaling. I will see how it goes and if it is not good I will start again.

MerryKat

Restart!!

Post by MerryKat » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:22 am

Ok so I got to day 75 without much hassle and then the wheels fell off!!!

Wednesday and Thursday were HORRIBLE - but they are over and I am not going to beat myself over it - 2 bad days out of 77 are great in my book.

I am starting again fresh and new and back to basics. I can do this and will do it.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:47 am

75 days! Wow, Mo, that's fantastic. It doesn't matter that you then fell off the rails for a bit, you're right that two 'bad' days in 77 is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Get yourself right back on that wagon, mate! If you can do this for 77 days, you sure can do this for the rest of your life.

Great effort. Well done.

:D
CaroleJo

MerryKat

Update

Post by MerryKat » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:13 pm

Caroljo thanks for the kind words.

The last week has also been a bad one. :oops:

Much as I love No S and it makes livestyle sense to me, it is just not working in a weightloss sense for me. I know my 1kg (2.2lb) gain over 8 weeks is nothing, but it is a major issue for me. I am going back to the Wendie Plan (point counting I know, but it works for me) using the No S principle of 3 meals a day - hence no place for snacks or sweets apart from on the weekends. I know I will come back to No S proper once I have lost my weight, but I need to do something now before I spiral out of control again (bordering on it now).

I will continue to update here (if I may) as I really enjoy "chatting" with you guys.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:46 pm

I'm as sure as I can be that NOBODY here is going to excommunicate you for doing NoS PLUS WP, if that's what you feel you have to do.

Hope you come to feel at peace with your weight / weightloss and I wish you a ton of success. I for one would be happy to read how it's going for you every now and then.

You're right that 1kg is NOTHING but you're also right that it's ultimately how you feel about it that matters. At least by combining NoS and WP you're still doing your 'maintainance' habit-building at the same time as your weight loss effort.

Best,
C.
CaroleJo

MerryKat

First full week of WP & No S - Success

Post by MerryKat » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:01 pm

I have had a successful week of WP and No S and lost that pesky 1kg (2.2lb).

I have been using my varied Weight Watcher points (as per the Wendie Plan) and restricting myself to 3 meals a day with no snacks or sweets during the week (as per No S).

This gives me a structured plan which also builds good maintenance routines.

I have also done my 8 Minutes in the Morning (in the morning) for the last 4 days and I am enjoying it again.

I know this works (if I do it) as this is how I lost all my weight after pregnancy 1. It just takes my brain a bit of rebellion before sanity prevails.

I am looking forward to getting back to No S as a maintenance plan once I am down a couple of clothing sizes - not particularly phased about the final scale figure.

Have a super week and for all the US members - Happy Thanksgiving.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:31 pm

Hi Mo,

That's good to hear. Glad it's working well.

:)

C.
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:58 pm

It just takes my brain a bit of rebellion before sanity prevails.
That's great Mo!
Unfortunately, all of our brains have loads of rebellion... You are not alone...If you like the Wendy Plan, and NoS combined, then why not assume you will just stick with both?
As Reinhard would say, it's not worth starting a diet unless you know you will stick with it...
Good luck!
Hugs to you and your munkchins!
Love,
8) Deb

MerryKat

I am back

Post by MerryKat » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:14 pm

The title says it all!!

Much as WW works for me - I just cannot count points anymore and without that it does not work.

Half the problem is that No S is so sensible that to be doing anything else just seems like over kill.

So I am back to No S - restart again - as Reinhard says it can take many attempts.

I am not going to count days I am just going to go from day to day.

I will continue to weigh myself weekly.

My commitment this time is to make my choices the healthiest possible for my meals. I think I took the eat anything for those three meals to literally. With my thyroid and insulin problems I need to give my body the correct fuel to function properly and avoid the less healthy options during the week.

Thank you guys for all your kind comments and loving messages - they are really appreciated

I am on leave from tomorrow and will be staying at home with my boys until the 6th January. I probably will not manage to get here - unless I can hijack DH's laptop.

Here's wishing you guys all a blessed and joyful Christmas and a wonderfully joyful New Year.

MerryKat

Back (again)

Post by MerryKat » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:18 pm

Time to resurect this again.

I had an OK festive season but I have to get me back on track.

I am back doing my 8MM (have done for the last 3 weeks) and I need to get my eating habits back under control with No S Diet.

I probably won't post daily but at least weekly.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:41 pm

Dear Mo!
I haven't ever seen 8 minutes in the morning, but I can assume it's some kind of calesthetics routine and maybe a little weights stuff...
Frankly, if I wait till evening to exercise, I never ever do it...
Don't feel bad about that! You are a Mom of some little ones, and that is a tough job come evening time! :wink:
(Unless you have a personal nanny who cooks and cleans etc... LOL...)

It takes a Herculean effort to start, but once you are started, may I humbly suggest that you just find another exercise or even just rewind the video and do it for another round once you are into the groove of doing your workout?
Then you may see even better results and you won't have to muster up that "get started" energy more than once a day?
Is it such an intense workout that you can't do it twice in on sitting?

It's like my son with saxophone... He needs reminding to start practicing and our deal is that he must at least practice for 20 mins to 30 minutes a day, but when he gets started, he usually practices for an average of 45 minutes or more...

Have a great day and great to see you and your kids faces back in the pic!
Love,
8) Deb

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:11 am

Debs
thanks for all the encouragment.

8MM - is basically 2 different weight exercises and you do 4 sets of 12. I have also added daily stomach exercises in as thanks to my last pregnancy my stomach muscles are shot. I know it is not much but it is better than nothing.

I find that I get out of bed at around 5.30am and do my 8MM immediately - that way I have no time to get side tracked. If I try and do exercise in the evenings it just never happens. Doing my exercise in the morning is also a good way to motivate myself to stick with my eating.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:27 am

I had a great weekend and saved my treats for a bit of chocolate after dinner - and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was at a ladies handwork group on saturday afternoon (and of course there were eats, but I did not have as I had had lunch and I knew I had my chocolate treat planned for the evening).

I have had a couple of near misses on N days, but I have managed to restrain myself and wait for the next scheduled meal.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:03 pm

26/01/06 - I showed the same weight as 2 weeks ago - this is good as I missed one WI and that week I am sure I gained.

This week's WI I register a loss 0.1kg (0.22lb) - I am happy with this. I was 100% with No S this week and my exercise was around 90%. I am getting better at doing my exercise even when I don't feel like it, but if I don't do it before leaving for work in the morning then it does not happen.

I am looking forward to another 100% No S week and hopefully 100% exercise.

My body is getting healthier, my food choices are improving (some days) and I am in control not the food.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:19 pm

That's great Mo!
Actually, in slow weight loss plans, much of the year is spent staying the same for weeks at a time... Sometimes even months.. But then something you do, exercise wise or maybe food wise pushes you off that plateau and then you drop down a bit more.. Your 100% with NoS is very praiseworthy and you should be very proud!!!

Whenever I stay the same I feel very relieved. I love when I *think* I gained for some reason and then find I stayed the same... It's just more proof that NoS really changes us for the better...
Believe me, in the past, if I thought I gained, I would only feel it by the time I was up five pounds already... So staying the same actually brings a great sense of contentment... Occasionally it's frustrating, because we all want to lose weight.. But at what cost?
The only fast weight loss plans make you miserable in the long run..
I'm not sure what Winter is like for you down in Sunny South Africa, but up here in NY Winter means.. inertia...
It's terrific just to maintain and not gain! Backsliding is the real danger with weight loss plans... This doesn't really happen with NoS!

Have a nice day Mo, and kiss those cutie kids for me!
Peace and Love,
Deb 8)

MerryKat

3rd Feb to 9th Feb

Post by MerryKat » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:57 am

I have had a good week:

100% No S eating
90% 8MM exercising

and I am feeling healthy and my trousers are a bit more comfortable.

As a benefit of my healthy week I was graced with a 0.7kg (1.54lb) loss.

I hope you guys all have a good week as well and that the one ahead is a good healthy eating and exercising one.

Deb I agree with you that a maintain is a good thing - I would rather loose 0.5kg (1.1lb) a month and keep it off for good than loose 3kg (6.6lb) a week and not be able to maintain the plan and keep it off.

Here in South Africa we are in the southern hemisphere so we are in summer right now - although it has been a cool and wet summer rather than our usual scorcher.

MerryKat

10th to 16th February

Post by MerryKat » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:25 pm

I had a small gain this week - 0.5kg (1.1lb) - For once I am not at all fazed by this - we will just wait and see what the rest of the month holds.

My eating was 100%
My exercise was 40% - very tired this week for some reason.

Here's to a super No S week ahead.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:57 pm

Hugs Mo!
Good attitude!
Love,
8) Deb

MerryKat

I'm Back, Again!!

Post by MerryKat » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:24 pm

Thanks Deb, but the wheels seriously fell off after that post. :oops: :oops: In fact I think I actually lost the wagon!!

I have had 5 weeks where I ate as I pleased, did no exercise and did not post on any of my support threads (too embarrassed). The net result of this was a 2.2kg (4.84lb) gain of which I deserved every ounce!!! :roll: :oops: :roll: :oops:

Monday I pulled myself together and got back on track and I lost 1kg (2.2lb) this week. :P :P :P

No S is so easy, why do I insist on doing my own thing, which I know does not work??????????????

I am not stressing about the exercise at the moment as I have a horrendous sinus & pharynx infection and can hardly breathe without coughing. I know I will get back into the exercise in time and at the moment my most important issue is my eating.

ceu

Post by ceu » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:33 pm

nice to meet you AND welcome back. :D

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:48 pm

Hi Mo!
Don't beat yourself up...
Firstly, you don't "deserve" to gain weight, you just did..
You are stopping yourself from continuing down that trail..
I am having a weird time with my habits these days as well, and I think lot's of other people here have been experiencing some serious "Old habit visitation"...

Well the visit is over!
Ha ha!!!

See you in 21 days... Try that out again and I'm pretty certain that your weight will turn right back around and start going in the proper direction...

Also... don't feel too embarrased ever to *not* post when you fall off or just lose the wagon.. I know how bad that feels, but more than being open with us here, and also getting support, you are taking a stand when you do that.. You must accept where you are to then transform into something better... If we all hid from our bad days and let them then build up into bad weeks, it would be very easy to just keep gaining..
Next time you feel you are slipping up, please post instead...
No one here is going to judge you and it's moments like that when you are being honest..
Who wouldn't respect that?

Glad you are getting back into it!
Let's all hold NoS hands this month!
I think things will get better for everyone over the next month..
Hope you and your family have a great rest of the week!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
ps.. Hope you feel better soon!
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:47 am

Now this is why I love this site - Debs thanks for your wonderful, supportive post. Thanks for the welcome back Ceu.

I had a battle getting on the site on Friday, which is why I did not post and weekend I do not have computer access.

The weekend was good and I had my treats, but did not overdo it too much - even though we had cake for my son's 8th birthday.

I am actually enjoying the structure and freedom of No S - it is so simple.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:43 am

I am up 0.2kg (0.44lb) this week but I think it is hormonal.

I am recording this as part of my journey, but for once I am truely unfazed by the scale. I know I did No S 100% last week and if I keep doing this the results will happen.

I am not even bothering to change my signature as I know this will be gone soon.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:23 pm

BAD DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pistachio (or however you spell that) and biscuits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as a continuation of lunch.

I am posting here to end this before it gets out of hand!

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:17 pm

Hang in there!

You can do this.
C.
CaroleJo

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:53 pm

Thanks Caroljo - you are quite right, I can do this.

The weekend was good and this week has been ok - I have been sick with a gastric bug, so the eating has been toast and tea.

I did not weigh myself this morning as my hands were so bloated I could not my rings on - thanks to dehydration and drugs.

As soon as I am feeling better, I will get back on plan.

MerryKat

I'm Back, Again!!

Post by MerryKat » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:17 pm

Ok so the rest of April was HORRID and by the end of the month I had gotten back up to my heaviest since having my second child (79.1kg - 174.02lb)!

I knew I had to do something, so I put myself back on No S with the goals of following it 100%, drinking at least 1 litre of water a day and doing some exercise 3 times a week. To help me I drew up a little journal sheet to follow (I find that if I write down my meals I am less likely to give in to the Snack Monster).

I lost 2kg (4.4lb) in May which took me down to 77.1kg (169.62lb). Again I proved to myself that if you stick with it, it does work. I did not do too well with the exercising, that will get better in time.

At the end of May I was diagnosed as Type 2 Diabetic and I spent the whole of June trying to get a plan in place that would help with this. I ended up trying too hard and ended up going off the deep end. Dieticians and I are not friends and I cannot do 3 meals a day plus 3 snacks - this just becomes a licence to munch endlessly! This took me back up to 78.5kg (172.7lb). The begining of July we went on holiday with my in-laws and over 2 1/2 weeks I gained 0.4kg. This gives me total of 78.9kg (173.58lb)

June was also terribly stressful as we had two breakin's at home while we were there. Our criminals over here are becoming increasingly fearless. The resulting stress did not help my snacking and I had some terrible days of emotional binges.

I know the right things to eat and what to avoid on a whole, so I am putting me back on No S as of today for a start of 21 days (to be followed by lots more 21 day groups). No S also helps with the emotional binging as it gives me the strength and plan to say "No!"

I am back on No S (with my little journal to help) and I have found an old exercise regime I did (with great success in the past) which is exercises for doing in an office enviroment. I just do not have the time at home at the moment, but I have 1/2 hour every day at work when I can get in some weight based exercises.

I am looking around at them moment to try and find a treadmill second hand, so that I can start doing some walking in the evenings.
Last edited by MerryKat on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:45 pm

Sorry about the horrid April and June, MerryKat (not just diet-wise).

You're right, snacks are probably the most difficult thing to manage playing it by ear... glad May furnished some personal evidence for you for this.

Best wishes for the rest of July,

Reinhard

MerryKat

Monday 17/07/06

Post by MerryKat » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:58 am

Reinhard - Thank you for your kind words. Thankfully most of the stress has abated.

May was a great month and it proved to me beyond a doubt that this is the plan that works for me - I just have to do it!

I had a great friday and weekend. I had my treats on the S days and thoroughly enjoyed them and I am ready for another week of N days.

Have a fantastic day

MerryKat

Success

Post by MerryKat » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:22 am

Monday 17/07/2006 - SUCCESS
I had a cup of hot chocolate as my with lunch beverage (this can be a trouble item for me, but I figured if I have it with lunch it will be controlled). However, it obviously has way to much sugar as I crashed by late afternoon. I had a banana to compensate and while I know it was eating between meals, I am allowing it as it was to do with my sugar issues.

The rest of the day went smoothly

No S :D
Exercise :D
Water :D

MerryKat

Tuesday Success

Post by MerryKat » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:36 pm

Tuesday 18/07/2006 - Success

No S: :D
Exercise: :D
Water: :D

MerryKat

Wednesday - Success

Post by MerryKat » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:54 pm

Wednesday 19/07/06 - SUCCESS

No S: :D & :D (I did some skipping as well - I am trying to get some cardio in during a week)
Last edited by MerryKat on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:16 pm

Wishing you success today. We can do this, and we must.

God bless,

Jan

This path is my life

Post by This path is my life » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:58 pm

Sounds like you're on a roll Merrykat, keep it up!!
"There is no such thing as a bad choice, there is only the next choice"

MerryKat

Thursday - Success

Post by MerryKat » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:47 am

Day 7 - Thursday 20/07/06 - SUCCESS

No S: Success
Exercise : :D
Water: Success

I am so delighted. This morning was WI and once again I have proved (to me) that No S REALLY works when I do it 100% (including the wonderful S days). I lost 1.2kg (2.64lb) this week. I was hoping for a few grams, so this is great.

MerryKat

Hot Chocolate BANNED

Post by MerryKat » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:25 am

Ok, I am officially banning hot chocolate from my N days. I thought I could manage to have 1 or 2 cups per week with my lunch at work, but the blasted stuff is now calling my name on a regular basis. I have not replied, but it is easier to ban it now before it becomes a problem than later once I am addicted!

Other than hot chocolate callin my name today is going well.

Day 8 - Friday 21/06/06 - Success
No S: :D
Last edited by MerryKat on Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:29 am

Hooray for yesterday's success!!!

Banning hot chocolate on N days is a good idea. Even if you can control it (can chocolate ever be controlled?), it's still sugar and best saved for an S day.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:49 am

I had a good weekend and enjoyed a few treats and snacks - lots of little bits through out the day rather than one big treat at night.

Day 11 (1 Oops) - Monday 24/07/06 - OOPS

No S: Ooops - emotional / stress binge (but on the positive side it was no where nearly as bad as in the past)
Exercise : :D
Last edited by MerryKat on Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

MerryKat

Tuesday

Post by MerryKat » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:42 am

Day 12 (1 Oops) - Tuesday 25/07/06 - In Progress

No S:
Exercise:
Water:

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:53 am

The bad trend continued for the rest of this week and the next and most of the next. For the first 2 I gained 0.1kg (0.22lb) in each week and in the third 0.4kg (0.88lb) for a total gain of 0.6kg (1.32lb) out of my first week loss of 1.2kg (2.64lb).

My snacking and munching has been out of hand again, however on the positive side it was no where nearly as bad as it would have been in the past.

I am back on track (again) and I have drawn up my journal to keep track. This Write before I Bite thing really works for me.

Part of my motivation is visual. My DH took photo's of me with my youngest son 2yr when we were on the beach at the beginning of July and I was horrified at how I actually look!

I am posting the picture here as a visual reminder to myself, as well as putting a copy in my wallet.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:42 am

I recently started going for reflexology and she has diagnosed me as having severe water retention. I am taking tissue salts to help and the reflex also helps. This would explain why my legs always look heavy even when I am at my fittest and smallest in size.

She has also given me a book to read on the reactions of the body to certain foods. The old me would have dived into this eating method and crashed in a few weeks. But I am proud to say that I have picked a couple of items that I think may be causing the biggest problems for me and I will sort those out before moving on to something else.

I had a good weekend with a few quality snacks and a good monday. I had mid-afternoon apple as I was ravenous before leaving work and did not want to risk binging at home.

MerryKat

October 2006

Post by MerryKat » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:06 am

Ok so after a very successful May with No S, I have spent the last few months trying my hardest to avoid taking responsibility for my own actions, and finding every excuse under the sun!

Part of the brake that brought me back to reality was a diagnosis of the very early stages of glaucoma.

In the most blunt terms, if I want to destroy my life and health in the next few years and end up an invalid all I have to do is continue on my current path.

I don't want to loose my sight, damage my extremity nerve endings or blood vessels and sooner than can be helped.

The only way I can enjoy life and still look after my health is to No S properly. So here I am.

It was our 10th wedding anniversary yesterday and we went out for dinner. I kept half of the meal for lunch today and only ate half of the dessert I ordered (a healthier version than my first choice would originally have been). I am pleased with my behaviour last night and I enjoyed my special day without ending up bloated and feeling yuck.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:43 pm

Hi Mo!
Just a quick one, and didn't read everything you wrote since the piccie post, but I wanted to say that I am sorry you feel "horrified" about the picture, but it's really really not horrific!!!!
Kudos to you for being so brave as to post a bathing suit pic!
I thought you look pretty nice, but I notice you don't have a head! :wink:
Anyway, all joking aside, it's all very subjective I'm sure, and I know you really want to change, but please, try to love yourself now!
You're a great Mom to two great kids and you are trying to do something pretty hard to do for the average Mom with two kids who is no longer 22 years old! (I know!!! I'm one of those!)

Don't beat yourself down :)
You stick to NoS for a year as best you can, and post a new piccie next year!
Peace and Love,
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

MerryKat

23rd November

Post by MerryKat » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:10 am

Hi guys
Sorry it has been so long since my last post (again). I was fairly good for the rest of October - since my last post, but not great and the weight was still slowly creeping up again.

On the 2nd November I weighed in and was almost back to my second pregnancy highest weight! 78.9kg (173.6lb).

I decided to stay rational this time and rather than complicating things to just follow No S during the week and over the weekends continue with the No Sugar (thanks to Type 2 diabetes). Other than this there are no other rules that I am imposing on myself (for a change). I am trying to eat healthy meals, but if not I am not beating myself up over it. If I slip up and "break" the rules I dust myself off and get going again - no beating me up and no punishment.

First week (09/11/06) I lost 1.2kg (2.64lb).
Second week (16/11/06) I maintained.
Third week (23/11/06) I lost 0.9kg (1.98lb)

This gives me 2.1kg (4.62lb) lost in three weeks taking me to 76.8kg (168.9lb).

I am feeling so much better for the no sugar rule over the weekends as well - my body really does not cope with loads of sugar. I get plenty of sweet satisfaction from fruit and sucrose free chocolate over the weekend.

Debs thanks for all the kind words - you are the greatest.

I will do my best to update this weekly.

gettnbusy

Post by gettnbusy » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:46 am

I notice that I don't care for soda very much anymore because it is SOOO sweet with that high fructose corn syrup they use to sweeten it with. Its worse than sugar!
Anyway - Good luck.
~I'm still not perfect~
~Sophie~