First 10 pounds down

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

turtledove

First 10 pounds down

Post by turtledove » Sat May 09, 2009 11:06 pm

I've lost 10 pounds since joining in November, and I couldn't be happier with this system. Although I freely admit to the success, though, other people I talk to can't believe you can eat carbs and lose weight, so I don't preach to them. It's almost counterintuitive to think that simply regulating the times you eat can have such a beneficial effect. I wrote a thank you note to a doctor (in my previous city) who told me a couple of years ago that eliminating food from the office (for hygiene reasons) had resulted in weight loss for staffers; I thought she might be interested in how to systematize that advice for patients.

Habits really do form pretty easily, and I find that it's rare for me to think about food between meals. Sometimes my dessert wish kicks in, but I just remind myself that I can indulge on the weekends. Today I thought I'd check on some fudge a friend brought, and I had to throw it away because it got really hard. I had tasted it weeks ago, but that was that.

So I feel as if I've maybe got the diet thing figured out in a way that really makes sense to me. If I can lose at least 20 pounds a year for 3 years I'll be back to my weight of 20 years ago. It will take dedication to the cause, and I hope I can keep the confidence to go through with it. Now for the exercise/activity thing, which is so complicated with fibromyalgia.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon May 11, 2009 4:11 pm

turtledove,

Congratulations and thank you for posting here!
It's almost counterintuitive to think that simply regulating the times you eat can have such a beneficial effect.
I wonder whether it's counter-intuitive or too intuitive. In a way, no-s is almost offensively obvious.
Although I freely admit to the success, though, other people I talk to can't believe you can eat carbs and lose weight, so I don't preach to them.

I think, slowly but surely, as more and more people succeed long term practicing systematic moderation, that the obvious won't seem so offensive anymore. There's nothing like preaching by example!
Now for the exercise/activity thing, which is so complicated with fibromyalgia.
I don't know much about fibromyalgia.... but "14 minutes of ANYTHING" every N-day is a no-s-like approach to exercise that you might find very helpful:

As for exercise, "14 minutes of ANYTHING" every N-day is a great structure (and easily habitcal-able). It gives you a structure for finding the perfect workout while you're working out (instead of putting off working out, perhaps indefinitely, until you do). Plus it's "schedualistically insignificant" and therefore "excuse proof."
Thanks again and looking forward to more updates in coming months/years!

Reinhard

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:59 pm

Seriously No-Sing for about 2 months and down 10 lbs!!! Today I am, but tomorrow it might be only 8, but No S combined with Urban Ranger and some Air Climber exercise has been working out beautifully!!!
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:51 pm

Congratulations, Olivia!

I'm happy to hear urban ranger has played a role, too.

And love that Mark Twain quote in your sig.

Reinhard

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:08 pm

reinhard wrote:I wonder whether it's counter-intuitive or too intuitive. In a way, no-s is almost offensively obvious.
Too intuitive :) Plus it's a solution instead of an excuse and most people don't want that. Being excused for some personal failing is easier than fixing it.

Congrats on your weight loss so far Turtledove and your commitment to further improvement. Glad to see people like you around.