20 pounds down

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BeatGuy

20 pounds down

Post by BeatGuy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:32 pm

Hello All:

Well, after nine months of hard work, I have finally hit my goal: to lose 20 pounds and drop from 205 to 185 pounds. I am a 26 year old male who is 6'1". Back in college, I was slim and fit from playing racquetball, walking everywhere on campus, etc. By the time I got married two years ago, I was 20 pounds overweight and feeling unhealthy. I tried to join a gym and lose weight before the wedding but wasn't really successful.

My enthusiasm for excess weight returned in October 2009. I was bemoaning my state and my wife finally said, "Okay, I know that losing weight in and of itself doesn't get you motivated, so here's what we're going to do: we're going to set up a reward for you if you make your goal." After some days of thought, we decided that if I dropped 20 pounds and made it back within what the BMI calls a "healthy" range, I would attend the World Boardgaming Championships with one of my good friends. You might laugh, but I am a huge board gamer and the opportunity to play in the toughest tournaments in the world was really appealing.

So I got started. I will admit that I did fall off the horse several times, especially in the wintertime here in Minnesota, where it is hard to urban ranger without turning into an icicle! I learned a lot of lessons along the way, however, including, "What does not actually constitute the No S diet". But I did drop to 193 pounds by June, an average of about 1.25 pounds a month.

However, in the last month I have lost eight pounds and reached my goal this very morning. I'm a teacher, and after school let out this year, I dedicated myself to religiously walking 3 miles a day. I mapped out all sorts of routes around where I live and study in the summer and just did it. I also mapped out a rather large list of healthy and filling meals for myself. Finally, I decided to use the "glass ceiling" method and only allow myself one beer a week.

The result has been 8 pounds lost in a month. I hit my goal this morning when I stepped on the scale for my weigh in, and I am headed to Pennsylvania in three weeks to participate in some boardgaming. I hope to stick with the No S and urban rangering, maybe even work in some shovelgloving, while maintaining a healthy repertoire of foods.

It can be done!
John
St. Paul, MN

la_loser

Wow!

Post by la_loser » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm

Huge kudos to you--that's impressive results. And just goes to show what some determination can do for you!

And no worries about anyone laughing-I suspect this group is one which will appreciate your boardgaming enthusiasm. What games do you play? Sounds like fun!

Again, congrats!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:55 pm

Woohoo! Great goin'!!! I'm from Minnesota, so I understand. Keep it up! :D
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:12 pm

Congratulations on meeting your goal!!! I think your plan of having a big reward is wonderful. Enjoy your trip to PA. It sounds like fun. :D
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:56 pm

Congratulations, BeatGuy!

That's an impressive show of determination.

And I don't know if you noticed, but there's an x-wing fighter in the background of my shovelglove picture on the home page -- I am in NO position to laugh at a boardgamer!

Speaking of which, any ideas for an everyday systems board game/games to help while away those long luddite hours of the weekend? Maybe some kind of anti-candy land for no-s. :-)

Reinhard

Too solid flesh

20 pounds down

Post by Too solid flesh » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:58 pm

Congratulations! Your incentive was a great idea. I wish I could go too.

alex2009

Post by alex2009 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:52 am

How great your info is! It really useful for me. Thanks.

comparatif simulation taux pret auto - taux pret auto differe selon la prise en compte ... calculent automatiquement le taux pour un prêt automobile donne.comparatif simulation taux pret auto