F, 4 months, lost 10 pounds

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mmarchin

F, 4 months, lost 10 pounds

Post by mmarchin » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:33 pm

I've lurked around and I've been using habitcal but haven't posted in the forum... But I've hit a milestone. I started No-essing in December (for the second time) and have lost 10 pounds! I'm 5'5 and weighed 140 in December 2009, 130 now.

My dad passed away last June of a heart attack at the age of 68, shocking all of us. He seemed so young, vital, and ran every day. He carried a bit of extra weight for years, which may have had nothing to do with his death, but it probably didn't help. Even though my weight was never wildly out of control, I've had high blood pressure issues in the past, and I'm not 30 yet. I have a sweet little daughter and I want to live a long time, so I'm going to do my best to keep my weight down, which will help keep my blood pressure down.

Thanks for working out these systems and putting them out there, Reinhard, it must feel good to know you're improving people's lives all over the world. Also, cheers from a fellow bioinformatician! I was psyched when I found out you were in my field.

oolala53

your triumph

Post by oolala53 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:16 pm

Wowie! Very impressive!
I am 5'6," 175 lbs. now. I'm amazed that you were able to lose 10 more pounds from your starting weight. I have been having such a hard time the last 5 years (have gone through menopause) that I was thinking it isn't likely I could get much below my highest normal weight, which would be 154. maybe I will? but I can't take the pressure of thinking I have to. Reading your entry makes me think I will be able to get at least to that first goal.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:12 am

Congratulations, mmarchin!

And sorry for the delayed reponse -- just started a new job last week and it's been a little distracting. :-)

Sorry to hear about your dad...

As of last week, I'm no longer in bioinformatics (moved back to the cutting edge field of library science) but I'm still a fellow parent of a sweet little daughter (two!) -- and there's no better motivation than that to treat yourself right.

Reinhard

mmarchin

Re: your triumph

Post by mmarchin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:30 pm

oolala53 wrote:Wowie! Very impressive!
I am 5'6," 175 lbs. now. I'm amazed that you were able to lose 10 more pounds from your starting weight. I have been having such a hard time the last 5 years (have gone through menopause) that I was thinking it isn't likely I could get much below my highest normal weight, which would be 154. maybe I will? but I can't take the pressure of thinking I have to. Reading your entry makes me think I will be able to get at least to that first goal.
You know, we all have different metabolisms and our bodies are immensely complicated and amazing. Good luck with your goal, I have to say that no-s just kind of caught on for me and gradually changed me and I hope it does for you, too.

My results might not be exactly typical because I'd already been eating lots of produce and whole grains, less-meat-itarian, smaller plates, and I'm still breastfeeding a couple times a day.

But, man, I love the feeling of needing some new pants because these are too big, and I hope you get to feel that soon.

I also like the thought of doing what I can to be around for my daughter for a long, long, time.

mmarchin

Post by mmarchin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:33 pm

reinhard wrote:Congratulations, mmarchin!

And sorry for the delayed reponse -- just started a new job last week and it's been a little distracting. :-)

Sorry to hear about your dad...

As of last week, I'm no longer in bioinformatics (moved back to the cutting edge field of library science) but I'm still a fellow parent of a sweet little daughter (two!) -- and there's no better motivation than that to treat yourself right.

Reinhard
I'm a big fan of libraries as well... Good luck with your new job. My daughter is 15 months.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat May 15, 2010 12:31 am

Was just browsing the testimonials. I'm inspired again to see that you dropped 10 lbs. even though 140 at 5'5" doesn't sound like you had much to lose. I'm 5'6" and I'm aiming at only 154, my highest allowable normal BMI. The lowest I've been in 14 years is 157. I lost 10 lbs. (from 185) in the first few weeks of No S and have been losing and gaining another 3-5 lbs. for 3 months. Sumpin's gotta give. I'm in for all of 2010. Don't know what I'll do if I'm still at 175 then!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)