"You look like you lift weights!" (2-years report)

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

chentegt

"You look like you lift weights!" (2-years report)

Post by chentegt » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:33 pm

I've known NoSdiet since the end of 2006, but I was never full compliant to the rules, and as a consequence the results were so-so.

Two years ago (on january 1st, 2011), I decided to finally stick to it completely and make it a lifelong habit. The motivation behind it was a growing beer-belly and the start of a new year. One of my brothers had just opened a kettlebell gym and I also decided to embark in a new journey of fitness-calendar adherence. My goal was to get rid of the beer-belly and feel better than I had felt in years (I was 28 back then).

I opened a daily check-in in the forums and logged my progress for a few months. I also started using the habitcal for nosdiet, exercise and glassceiling. When I started, I was around 162 pounds. For the first 9 months I did kettlebell and bodyweight exercises but I then returned to the Shovelglove + morning walks. I'm now 10 pounds lighter and more fit looking. My belly fat is gone!

The bodyfat measurement and the boring picture-taking-sessions in front of the mirror were nice indicators of my success (for a while) but the best proof was when I talked with an experienced trainer from my country's weightlifting federation. When I told him about my exercise plan he was amazed: "You look like you´ve been lifting weights all these years!", he said.

In 2012 my new focus was to simplify: just stick to the habitcal. I just looked at my habitcal from the last year and I´ve got only 2 nosdiet reds and 0 exercise reds!! That's real success measurement.

The weight loss seems to stay around 10-15 pounds. I may not look ripped but I like where my habits are taking me; I feel and look strong, and I actually think I can get a more fit-looking body in the future.

For this year I want to get better at my glass ceiling habits (thats the area where I have more reds). I think that I could have gotten better results so far if I had been more careful in the drinking department.

I also want to focus on walking more and make my workouts more varied (all within the 14-minute SG frame, of course). My current routine consists on having a 30-40 min walk in the morning and a SG session in the afternoon, sometimes mixed with pushups and kettlebell exercises.

So, I hope my experience helps as a motivation to someone out there. If you have any question, suggestion, about my journey, eating or exercise just share :) . I will now update my progress in the "yearly check-in" section.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:17 pm

Congratulations! Numbers are nice, but the qualitative validation from that trainer is beautiful.

Great to see, once again, how something as simple as focusing on "compliance" can make such a difference.

(I too, have a much harder time with glass ceiling than with my other systems)

Thanks for sharing and best of luck building on your successes in 2013,

Reinhard

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:13 pm

Congrats on the discipline in general! To some degree, it is its own reward.

But outward effects are nice, too. I'm always curious what percentage of weight people have lost and what their height is.

I hope you will take almost as much contentment in being fit as well as "looking" fit. Many people who "look" fit do not actually have much strength or endurance, nor do they have the benefits of minimal consistent exercise. They just fit an image promoted by the media, even if it is the media of a particular industry. Most of the industries dovetail each others' efforts to keep the majority of people feeling that they're not good enough as is.

There are plenty of fat people in other countries who are incredibly fit, if it means able to sustain physical effort.

But most of all, thank you for letting us all know! I have a feeling many successes never show up here, which is a shame, but I understand wanting to get this down and get on to other things!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)