Lost 30 lb!

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jld141

Lost 30 lb!

Post by jld141 » Tue May 25, 2021 11:51 am

Wanted to thank Reinhard for posting his thoughts about No S on the internet!

Over the past year and a half I've maintained a 30 lb weight loss (I'm 5'4'' female, 126 lb down from ~ 156) after losing it over the prior year. While I did do intermittent fasting which probably resulted in most of the weight loss - I am more proud of the maintenance over a year and a half's time, particularly during covid, and that success I attribute to the No S mindset. It just gives helpful rules that I can use for myself to keep everything in check without being too restrictive. I also really enjoy shovelgloving and have been incorporating that this year to work on my muscle gains.

I really used to lurk around No S for YEARS and never committed to it fully because I always managed to trick myself using rationalizations that I wasn't "cheating" when clearly I was. Eventually, with a one-day-at a time approach, I slowly started to incorporate No S principles. I'm not perfect, but plan on trying to get better and better as the years go on. I've also recently adopted the LifeLog as well which I really like (I'm an engineer and like data hehe).

The main lessons I've learned are as follows:
1) Removing pseudohunger is actually really easy after 2 weeks of adopting a new habit of eating less. Particularly the gurgling hunger. As hunger was always one of my self-rationalizations that promoted over eating, removing pseudohunger was a game changer. It does get easier! If you can tell yourself to white knuckle it through the hardest early days, you'll be amazed at how quickly you can adapt.

2) Don't buy things for the house for S days -- Laziness usually wins! Use it to your advantage.

3) One day at a time...you're built out of the actions you repeatedly do, and even if in the moment it seems like no big deal to "cheat", it is a big deal because you need each tiny little moment.

4) Real food always wins. It tastes better, more satiating, and is better for you to be honest. I lost all my weight eating butter, whole milk, meat, cheese, fruit, veggies, bread. I never cut anything out except for giving up alcohol for lent (which usually lends itself to about a 5 lb weight loss that I end up putting right back on after Easter haha womp womp still working on that).

5) Short people just can't eat as much as a tall person. I used to try to compare what my tall thin friends ate and sadly I'm just too short to be able to metabolize all that food without some side storage.

Anyway, hopefully this testimonial and lessons can help some people!

This community really inspired me reading through all the comments and questions so keep it up everybody! :D
Thanks again Reinhard for sharing your common sensical approach online! Funnily enough I stumbled upon the NO S page because I googled what Courtney Cox ate during my Friends obsession phase in college because I wanted to look like her-- haha you got me!!

reinhard
Site Admin

Re: Lost 30 lb!

Post by reinhard » Mon May 31, 2021 10:33 am

So glad to hear it and thank you for posting here!

Many things I loved about your testimonial (besides your mere success, which is certainly something!): "pseudohunger" (a very apt term I hadn't heard somehow), that Shovelglove and the Lifelog are also resonating for you, that years into the SEO arms race a tongue-in-cheek "Courtney Cox" reference can do some actual good!).

Congratulations!

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:37 pm

jld141 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 11:51 am
Wanted to thank Reinhard for posting his thoughts about No S on the internet!

Over the past year and a half I've maintained a 30 lb weight loss (I'm 5'4'' female, 126 lb down from ~ 156) after losing it over the prior year. While I did do intermittent fasting which probably resulted in most of the weight loss - I am more proud of the maintenance over a year and a half's time, particularly during covid, and that success I attribute to the No S mindset. It just gives helpful rules that I can use for myself to keep everything in check without being too restrictive. I also really enjoy shovelgloving and have been incorporating that this year to work on my muscle gains.

I really used to lurk around No S for YEARS and never committed to it fully because I always managed to trick myself using rationalizations that I wasn't "cheating" when clearly I was. Eventually, with a one-day-at a time approach, I slowly started to incorporate No S principles. I'm not perfect, but plan on trying to get better and better as the years go on. I've also recently adopted the LifeLog as well which I really like (I'm an engineer and like data hehe).

The main lessons I've learned are as follows:
1) Removing pseudohunger is actually really easy after 2 weeks of adopting a new habit of eating less. Particularly the gurgling hunger. As hunger was always one of my self-rationalizations that promoted over eating, removing pseudohunger was a game changer. It does get easier! If you can tell yourself to white knuckle it through the hardest early days, you'll be amazed at how quickly you can adapt.

2) Don't buy things for the house for S days -- Laziness usually wins! Use it to your advantage.

3) One day at a time...you're built out of the actions you repeatedly do, and even if in the moment it seems like no big deal to "cheat", it is a big deal because you need each tiny little moment.

4) Real food always wins. It tastes better, more satiating, and is better for you to be honest. I lost all my weight eating butter, whole milk, meat, cheese, fruit, veggies, bread. I never cut anything out except for giving up alcohol for lent (which usually lends itself to about a 5 lb weight loss that I end up putting right back on after Easter haha womp womp still working on that).

5) Short people just can't eat as much as a tall person. I used to try to compare what my tall thin friends ate and sadly I'm just too short to be able to metabolize all that food without some side storage.

Anyway, hopefully this testimonial and lessons can help some people!

This community really inspired me reading through all the comments and questions so keep it up everybody! :D
Thanks again Reinhard for sharing your common sensical approach online! Funnily enough I stumbled upon the NO S page because I googled what Courtney Cox ate during my Friends obsession phase in college because I wanted to look like her-- haha you got me!!
Big congrats on the 30 lb. weight loss, and even better: maintaining it. Don't let the tall people kid you, we don't metabolize any better than short people. We(I'm 6'-4") just hide it better. On the other hand, a 10-20 lbs. loss on a short person is so noticeable, and will usually get compliments from friends. On us, it usually takes 30-40 before someone might notice it.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:45 am

Congrats, you have done really well.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right