What a week :) Birthday "S'ing"

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ginmarie

What a week :) Birthday "S'ing"

Post by ginmarie » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:21 am

I could title this "A funny thing happened on the way to the sugar bowl" LOL
Monday was my birthday and thus an official "S" day. Dh and I went up to the city (we live in a small rural town about 30 miles from a major metro area) to run errands and to take advantage of a 2 for 1 deal at Famous Dave's BBQ restaurant. Yummy Yum! Since it was my birthday, I ordered a Pepsi. Oh.my.goodness it was incredibly, nastily sweet! This completely surprised me because I've never had a problem enjoying soda before. I'm amazed that something as simple as relegating sweets to weekends these past 8 weeks could change my taste's so much. It wasn't a fluke either, I bought a Mounds Bar, a past favorite treat, later in the day and couldn't finish it either, it was just sooo sicky sweet. This morning a dear friend took me out for breakfast to honor my birthday and I put some locally made jam on my toast and then couldn't eat it - yep, it too was too sweet.
I don't think it's sugar in and of itself, because I found I still enjoy treats that are rich rather than just sweet. My dd bought me a piece of Key Lime Cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory and I certainly did enjoy most of that! Anyway..who knew? I'm actually very happy with this.

Now my birthday also presented me with an unexpected dilemma - the above mentioned cheese cake was given to me the evening of my birthday. The problem is, CF Key Lime Cheesecake is so deliciously rich, that I have never been able to eat it all in one sitting. I usually take 3 or 4 bites a day until it's gone, usually I can make it last 3 or 4 days. I get it so seldom that this is also a great way to make the pleasure last. Dh suggested that I just go ahead and do that, and ds thought I could just declare the whole week my birthday week, but...nah, I really didn't want to do that, it just didn't feel right to me. After giving it some thought I decided to eat as much as I wanted, savoring every bite of course ;) and when I'd had enough, just give it to ds. So that's what I did. He got the last 1/4 or so. I really felt like I didn't need to finish the whole thing to do the gift justice, just getting any part of it was such a treat.

One more birthday issue I ran into was surprises. What is a dedicated No S'er to do about surprise parties, or surprise birthday gifts of treats? I decided that to my normal S days, I would add surprises events. So I enjoyed a small piece of the ice cream cake my co-workers surprised me with, and a piece of the chocolate cake my best friend made for yesterday. The rest of the cake is waiting for tomorrow and Sunday to finish though.

Has anyone else doing this plan had a similar thing happen to their taste for sweets? And how do you all handle birthdays when they stretch out past the actual day?

:)
05/14/11 - 165 lbs
05/01/12 - 142 lbs
No S Lifestyle For Keeps :)

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:25 am

I'm with you on finding some sweet things too sweet these days! I've definitely found that the more sweet stuff I eat, the more I want - and vice versa.

Unfortunately I can't really comment on the whole birthday thing as mine is on Christmas Eve so automatically stretches into a next-day-celebration!! :)

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:30 am

I expand my birthday for treats at work (since I don't work on my birthday). My boss made me taco dip (which is so good I ask for it instead of cake) and I made it an S-Event. My other boss still owes me a chocolate/caramel/pecan tart, and when/if he brings that in, I will have another S-Event (even though my birthday was in April!).

:D

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:09 pm

Mmmm chocolate/caramel/pecan tart sounds like my idea of heaven!!

I do have a slight modification to vanilla NoS where exceptional and socially offered S's are taken as S events, even if not planned. These situations happen so rarely as to not be a big issue. Plus I know the deprivation I would feel at having to turn down a proffered home-made delicious something-or-other! I keep them to events (e.g. eat this slice of pie, or that muffin) not S DAYS. I also say no if the S's aren't exceptional or personal in nature.