Anyone ever hear of 2 meal Mike?!?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

snapdragon

Anyone ever hear of 2 meal Mike?!?

Post by snapdragon » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:05 pm

After doing a little research on intermittent fasting, I came across a fitness blog I only scanned through but from what I see he is a fitness trainer who eats only two meals a day. When asked why no breakfast he said because he never really liked breakfast anyway. It is quite interesting.
Oh and his fitness plan is..... mainly keep it as simple as possible, and even has a little e book about starting a fifteen minute a day workout routine, and how doing that consistently is better than what most people do.
Check it out www.theiflife.com

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:32 pm

Thanks, this was cool. I too don't like breakfast. Im frustrated that people are told to eat more often to loose weight. bogus.

I especially like this: “To rise at six, dine at ten, sup at six and go to bed at ten, makes a man live ten times ten.†~ 16th century proverb

I do not get enough sleep. That leads me to the research that says that there is a big link to sleep-deprivation and being over-weight. Hmmm...
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:47 pm

He started his blog in 2008 . It was nice to read this coming from someone involved in fitness, it is always in the back of my head not to work out on an empty stomach and how I must eat after a workout. There are studies that can validate whatever you want them to, but it's nice to see.

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:55 pm

yes, I've heard of him. I've been following him for about 4 years. He's changed blogs several times, but I would highly suggest his ebook. It's really reasonably priced. Two meal solution is worth the read
Denise
restart No S on 4/1 at 132#
goal is 120-123# doing vanilla NoS with Eat Stop Eat on Monday.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:32 am

I enjoyed his Boring Eater post.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:40 pm

Not to knock Mike's achievement (or the achievement of successful 2-meal no-essers here), but skipping breakfast has a high statistical correlation with being overweight. Not, I'm sure, because of its direct effect of subtracting a meal, but because of the indirect effect of overtaxing the willpower / lending a moral license to compensatory permasnacking (not a danger in the 16th century!).

(Yes, you can find a study to support anything you want, but from what I understand there seems to be a fair amount of consensus on this).

So be careful if you're considering this -- it clearly can work great for some people (and is perfectly compatible with No-S). But for many others, it backfires.

Reinhard

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:12 pm

My intreats mostly was in the fact he did vigorous exercise on an empty stomach and did not eat immediately after. I still get hung up on that.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:29 pm

I think I mentioned somewhere else on a thread about a 19th century fitness proponent that he said two meals a day should be enough for those not involved in manual labor. However, I agree with Reinhard that one should attempt this with caution, as many bingers/dieters are famous for skipping breakfast, eating lightly during the day and then permasnacking or even bingeing for much of the afternoon or night. In my first year, when I was compliant and eating a moderate dinner, I did get hungry for breakfast.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:48 pm

I don't eat breakfast per se, but I do often eat 3 (or 2 and a half) meals a day. I just shift them into an 8-9 hour window between lunchtime and my evening meal.

I wonder if the studies suggesting that skipping breakfast correlates with being overweight control for other factors? I mean anything can be correlated with anything else, it doesn't mean it's causally related. Skipping breakfast might not cause someone to be overweight, but it might link to other bad eating habits that do... that being said I haven't investigated myself so this is just my ponderous theorising :)

I liked the blog article about 'boring' eating too, and think that's probably part of my problem, I hate eating the same thing over and over and I love trying lots of different foods! Maybe I should work on that...

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:15 pm

Remember that 2-meal Mike does have an agenda about building muscle and changing his body. That is how he decides his success, and if that's important enough, I guess it's worth "boring." I, too, like more variety, though it's within confines, and it doesn't seem to make me eat a lot more. If it does, so be it. I keep trying to refine my eating for vitality, and it does not add to my vitality to eat chicken breast every day; if the body shape changes, icing on the cake... on an S day.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:19 pm

I think the studies regarding breakfast are about as reliable as the studies showing that we need to snack 2-3 times daily. I also wonder if they're looking at other factors.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

3-0-7 girl

Post by 3-0-7 girl » Tue May 01, 2012 7:29 pm

Being Type 1 diabetic I can't make it on 2 meals all the time. Need 3. 8)
3-0-7 girl

Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse; A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you this day: And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the LORD your God… (Dt. 11:26-28.)