Who hear used to do Low/No Carb before No S?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Nicole in MD

Who hear used to do Low/No Carb before No S?

Post by Nicole in MD » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:58 pm

I have been eating Paleo for the past year or so (protein, good fats, veggies, some fruit and no sugar or dairy). I just cannot wrap my head around the fact that I could eat "normal" carbs (pizza, burger on a bun, pasta etc...) and NOT gain!

So who here went from an Atkins/Paleo-like diet to No S and adding back in carbs and did ok (maintained or even lost)????
Nicole in beautiful Annapolis, MD
Started No S 8/15- 173

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:32 pm

I was doing Paleo - the PHD version - before I started NOS. At first, I tried to incorporate it into NOS (Reinhard has said it's OK to include other diets with NOS).

However, after I became firmly convinced by Reinhard that the US obesity problem is not due to the composition of the food but its additional quantity (Reinhard shows the stats on the book and the site), I started adding more carbs. At the same time, I started reducing my food volume, adjusting it by how I felt after I ate (partially hungry, comfortable full, stuffed). And, it's worked for me.

This doesn't mean that adding carbs will work for everyone. I've read somewhere that some people with various medical conditions - such as metabolic syndrome, epilepsy, etc. - are better off limiting carbs.

Since we are all unique individuals, the only way to find out is to add the carbs and see what happens.
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Sometimes you need to take one step back for every two steps forward.

Time heals everything!

90% of a diet is 60% mental

megran

Post by megran » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:59 pm

*raises hand* Me! Been doing varying lowcarb diets for years with success ... until I got tired of it, wanted pasta, and then the WTH effect happened and so did the weight gain ...

I did Paleo to lose babyweight with my 2nd child, and tried again to lose after I had my 3rd in March ... but it was just too difficult to eat a different meal from my family.

This diet has CHANGED MY LIFE and I'm RELISHING each bite of tortilla, baked potato, oatmeal, beans,bread, and ALLLLL those formerly "off limits" foods.
Every day you do one of two things: build health or produce disease in yourself. -Adele Davis

no s started June 27, 180 lbs
Goal (155) reached 8/7/12
Surpassed goal and am 145 as of June 24, 2013

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:37 am

I did. I never felt full at all and often couldn't sleep from hunger. Then I'd stuff myself on some chocolate binge as I just couldn't sustain it. Obviously I ended up overweight.

Now I feel really full after every meal. Sometimes in the evenings of N-days I still go to bed feeling really guilty about the amount of food I ate within my one plate and about the fact that I don't feel like I'm hungry.

Yesterday night for example, I felt stuffed and really guilty. When I woke up I noticed lost a tiny amount of weight! Sometimes I wonder if the weight will magically appear again and someone will shout - "just kidding! Losing is not that joyful." Hopefully, the guilt will subside as well!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Ruff

Post by Ruff » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:43 pm

I did...I have even been zero carb....

Lets face it, over the years I have done EVERYTHING! Got fatter every time!

I still eat paleo friendly, and I am gluten free. I have a coeliac son and hubby has gluten induced arthritis. It is easier for us all to be G-F. I make brilliant LSA pancakes!

But other than the health reasons, I am trying hard to normalize things, food was never this hard when I was skinny.

Nicole in MD

Post by Nicole in MD » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:23 am

Ruff wrote:I did...I have even been zero carb....

Lets face it, over the years I have done EVERYTHING! Got fatter every time!

I still eat paleo friendly, and I am gluten free. I have a coeliac son and hubby has gluten induced arthritis. It is easier for us all to be G-F. I make brilliant LSA pancakes!

But other than the health reasons, I am trying hard to normalize things, food was never this hard when I was skinny.
What are LSA pancakes? I make really good ones with almond flour that are just as good as "regular" ones :)
Nicole in beautiful Annapolis, MD
Started No S 8/15- 173

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:17 am

I did. I used to eggs and bacon for two meals a day and then iceberg lettuce w/bleu cheese and steak for dinner.

It got old after about 6 months. But, I lost a boat load of weight.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Ruff

Post by Ruff » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:52 am

ntengwall wrote: What are LSA pancakes? I make really good ones with almond flour that are just as good as "regular" ones :)
LSA Linsed (flax) Sesame and Almond.

I often use almond flour because it is yummy! :D

Ruff

Post by Ruff » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:57 am

Over43 wrote:I did. I used to eggs and bacon for two meals a day and then iceberg lettuce w/bleu cheese and steak for dinner.

I know, you do lose so much weight, but it simply is not sustainable in the long run....and then we all know what happens!

Also the dreadful 6 month plateau happens with low carb too. It seems that after 6 months one loses no more weight and then it stinks living like that and NOT losing weight. And if you ask on the forums they say things like, stop dairy, or only drink water, or only eat mince/drink water...in other words get stricter and stricter, and then what do you do when you plateau on that?
:cry:

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:58 pm

Ruff wrote:
Over43 wrote:I did. I used to eggs and bacon for two meals a day and then iceberg lettuce w/bleu cheese and steak for dinner.

I know, you do lose so much weight, but it simply is not sustainable in the long run....and then we all know what happens!

Also the dreadful 6 month plateau happens with low carb too. It seems that after 6 months one loses no more weight and then it stinks living like that and NOT losing weight. And if you ask on the forums they say things like, stop dairy, or only drink water, or only eat mince/drink water...in other words get stricter and stricter, and then what do you do when you plateau on that?
:cry:
I never stopped losing weight, I just got tired of the "lifestyle", plus, once the weight goal is reached, which people do, low carb should transition into a low glycemic approach: Agatston, Atkins, et. al. In the 60's Robert Atkins was suggesting people stay on it indefinitely but eventually he apparently concluded fruits and whole grains could be added back successfully. I lost 40-50 pounds originally, down to 165 lbs. (without exercise) and have never been heavier than 185 since. And I usually hit that weight level when I lift weights. And currently a couple of times a week, if I feel I'm losing "control" I'll eat a low carb meal.

"The Drinking Man's Diet" http://www.forbes.com/2004/04/21/cz_af_0421feat.html which was published about ten years before the Atkin's Diet suggested 60-70 carbs a day, not 0-30.

I enjoy No S "more" because obviosuly I don't have to be neurotic about what I eat. I have reached 170 on No S so the weightloss plus a Hershey Bar and Coke on Saturday.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:58 am

Hi nteng- I used to be in an offshoot of Overeaters Anon, which gave a sheet you could choose foods to form meals. (So the day could be 50-140g carb, depending on what you chose.)
I lost ~25 on that and have maintained for 2 years on NoS, which I think is pretty good. I'd like to lose more, and think I would need to go back on a "diet" to do that, but am not ready at the moment. So, all in all, in my experience it is possible to maintain after adding back in the carbs. I often even overdo them.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".