Help! Virtual plating all the time!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

alicerabbit

Help! Virtual plating all the time!

Post by alicerabbit » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:30 am

I recently moved to China and we eat out at restaurants everyday because it isn't very expensive. However, it is very common that you get a tiny little bowl and serve yourself bits at a time... rarely a whole meal in one bowl. Or I may get a small rice bowl, and a stir fry plate.

I put everything on the one plate when I can, but I cannot always do this, so I find myself virtual plating,..

Any tips?

Thankyou
One step back, two steps forward!:)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:33 am

Pay attention to how much the locals eat -- especially if they're of normal weight. Virtual plating may be your best option

The one plate rule doesn't work everywhere!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:00 am

Hi, Alice! I think you posted this on Spark, too, no? Have fun figuring this out.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:32 pm

well, i would suggest taking a look at the size of their bowls, and then when you're home, figure out, really how much can fit in them and how many of those bowls equal the same amount that you can fit on a normal plate...then you can decide to stick to whatever amount that is when you're eating out...
maybe it's 3 or maybe 5, but you don't want to be fooling yourself or falling into the trap of eating a little too much, because it will be so much harder to lose/maintain weight that way..
good luck!
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness