Newbie here!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

schnopkins

Newbie here!

Post by schnopkins » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:58 pm

Hello All! I am new to this forum, but not new to the No S. Read the book over a year ago,but started it Monday, and decided to go ahead and join on line as well and go for it. I have over 100 pounds to lose, and am hoping checking in online will help motivate me.

Question: I eat a lot of salad. How do you all deal with the 1 plate idea when eating a large salad? 1 plate of salad? 1 bowl? I'd love to know how you navigate it! Thanks.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:08 pm

Hi schnopkins- Welcome. Good to have you. I trust you will find these boards supportive and helpful, as I have.
I normally eat lunch and supper off a 9" plate with a rim, but if I'm having a salad for my meal I usually go with lots of watery vegetables (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, cauliflower) and a small amount of protein (yogurt with the dressing, or 2 oz grated cheese). Because it takes a large volume of that to amount to anything, I have been known to eat it out of a smallish serving bowl! (Otherwise it overflows a regular bowl or I really don't get enough to eat.)
I'd advise just experimenting around and see what works for you, but start with a big bowl and work your way down, so you don't have to deal with the frustration of a "fail" just to get a reasonable meal that day.
Last edited by osoniye on Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

noni

Post by noni » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:24 pm

Welcome to the forum, Schnopkins! These are a helpful bunch of kind people. If I eat only a salad for lunch, for example, I would make sure there is some protein of meat or cheese in it to keep me filled. If I eat it for dinner there will be other food items, so I would cover 1/3 to 1/2 of my plate with salad and fill it in with everything else. I use full fat homemade dressing, so I like to just glaze it.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:17 am

My answer with salads is similar to my answer with soups:

Salad of green leaves & other light veg (cucumbers, tomatoes, capsi etc) with vinegarette or other light dressing = big bowl, or smaller bowl with a slice of nice bread on the side.

Heavier salads (e.g. with ingredients like creamy dressings, meat, eggs, cheese, roasted pumpkin, etc) = 1 plate, no sides.

But honestly, if you are just getting started, get the three meal routine going first. Fine tuning exact plate or bowl size can wait until the habit is strong.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:44 am

I have all raw or cooked veggies on the plate along with the other foods at the meal. If I have what I call a meal salad, I cover the bottom of a soup bowl- the wide, shallow kind- with lettuce and then add other veggies, plus the denser carb/protein/fat options. I perch fruit on the rim.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)