New here…

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Melderin

New here…

Post by Melderin » Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:04 pm

Hello all,

Not sure if I’m posting this in the right place/wrong place…sorry if it’s the latter.

I first heard about and started NOS diet about 5 years ago as a way to lose my baby weight…love everything about it, just makes sense. I had some success but then just went completely on a downward spiral after deciding to have an ice cream snack one incredibly hot summer’s afternoon…it just all went out the window! I’ve made several attempts to restart and have dipped into the bulletin many times and loved to read the posts.

I turned 40 three years ago and was determined not to be ‘fat and 40’. I started doing one meal a day and had some drastic results but was only able to do this as a diet of an obsession with the looming birthday and also the vain idea of ‘wowing’ everyone once we came out of lock down ( :oops: )

3 years on and my weight is slowly creeping back up. I’ve also developed something of an issue with alcohol and pre-dinner ‘nibbles’ as a way of quietening down the hunger pangs…extremely unhealthy. Any food outside of my one meal a day now triggers a binge.

I’m desperate to implement NOS but feel scared about weight gain even though I’m gradually gaining anyway!

Bit of a long intro but I’m hoping that by posting on here I can hold myself more accountable.

Thanks for reading! :)

Melderin

Re: New here…

Post by Melderin » Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:03 pm

I’ve just seen that this bulletin site might be being such down :cry: I shall have to try the Facebook site methinks…

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:16 pm

There are a few of us still here and I believe it is staying, just waiting for ir an upgrade. Welcome
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:53 am

Welcome! There are definitely a small core of us still active on the board. I hear your frustration and fear about gaining... You've done No-S before and probably know how it feels to be in a good habit groove. I hope you get to a place of peace around food and weight! :mrgreen:

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:45 pm

Welcome! And congratulations on making it through the awkward registration process!

Yes, the board will stay as long as I'm able to keep it alive -- and upgrade plans to make it less goofy while still blocking spam are in (slow) progress.

In the meantime, the FB group is livelier. I don't love FB either... but requires almost nothing from me in terms of technical upkeep so easier to keep active and healthy because I don't actually have to do anything.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:33 am

Hi Melderin, welcome.

The longer I do this, the more I am convinced that extremes aren't needed, just avoidance of excess. And not doing whatever leads to excess, as well as ruthless honesty in recognising excess when it happens.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:36 am

Hi Melderin and welcome! I second ladybird's wise words and encourage you to be patient and gentle with yourself as you navigate through what might feel like a scary transition period. It might take some trial and error but that's OK - many worthwhile achievements do. I am rooting for you! Best regards, WINhappy.
Sometimes the coolest thing when you were a kid- remains the coolest thing.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:05 am

Hi, and belated welcome.

Sorry to say you might have to put up with some weight gain coming off one meal a day. unless you were absolutely stuffing yourself at that meal. I've been watching to a series of videos by a weight loss "coach" named Coach Viva who is really knowledgeable about the entire process of what it really means to change your eating and stabilize at a lower body fat. Of course it's way more complicated than No S but sometimes when people have done a lot of other things, especially drastic things- let's face it, OMAD is drastic as a lifetime practice no matter how many testimonials there are from the outliers- they need something more nuanced. People often lose a fair amount of muscle and there isn't much else they can then do if they get thin but squishy without eating more to gain some weight and then try again. The longer they've been operating on a lowered metabolism, the longer they may have to stabilize a bit higher.

But the time will pass anyway, so you might as well be experimenting.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Melderin

Post by Melderin » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:30 am

Hello - gah! I’ve only just logged back in after 6 months and seen everyone’s lovely replies, I’m so sorry!

Thank you for the encouragement everyone. Needless to say 6 months on I’ve still been dabbling with OMAD. Seeing these replies has given me a boost though 😀!

Glad to know a few are still around on here. I did sign up for the Facebook group but can’t really get in with it. I shall lurk here a little longer 🙂.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:40 pm

No worries, I've taken similar hiatuses (no more!).

Understood about FB, it's an acquired compulsion...

Happy lurking! (and maybe more than that once I make some more tech progress and can entice people back here again...)

Reinhard

Melderin

Post by Melderin » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:52 am

Thanks Reinhard! Good luck with the tech progress 😊

Sammybunny711

Post by Sammybunny711 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:16 pm

I'm late to this party, but welcome, Melderin.
Height: 5'4"
Highest weight: 210.4
Current Weight: 197.3
Goal Weight: 125-135

*^..^711

Melderin

Post by Melderin » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:08 am

Thanks Sammybunny!!