No More Second Helpings

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

No More Second Helpings

Post by wosnes » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:59 am

Interesting article from the American Institute of Cancer Research:
http://www.aicr.org/site/News2?abbr=pr_ ... e&id=10755

I've been aware of both of the following for at least 5 years. I was just reminded of both of them and realized that they fit in very well with No-S:

Also their New American Plate Program:
http://www.aicr.org/site/PageServer?pag ... p_index_21

And, an article from Prevention magazine:
http://www.prevention.com/article/0,577 ... -P,00.html
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:45 pm

Great sites! Thanks.
A lot of growing up happens between "it fell" and "I dropped it."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:09 pm

Interesting....

Especially the impact of social situations on caloric intakes in the first article.

In a nutshell: thinner people eat more in social situations, fatter people eat less (presumably because they're embarrassed to show how much they normally eat).

But I found it odd that the study seemed to focus on the "problem" of the thinner people's behavior. Both because, well, they're thinner, and because back when social eating was the rule, we were all thinner. It's only now with the rise of anti-social, solitary eating that we've become so fat.

Nit picking aside, great to see more ammunition for "no-seconds."

Reinhard

pangelsue

Only New Years resolution

Post by pangelsue » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:39 pm

Thanks so much for this post, Wosnes. I have thought of it so many times since reading the sites for the first time.
I can't wait for the Christmas season to be over so I can return to more sanity in what goes into my body. We eat socially a lot during the holiday season so there is not much control over what is eaten. Too rich, too heavy and too many sauces. Even people who are normally sane, pull out all the stops at this time of year and make every rich, calorie laden, heartburn creating thing they can think of. The day after one of these extravaganzas, when I am home, I can't tell you how good an apple, bowl of cereal or a simple piece of whole wheat toast taste. I'm as guilty as the next person. When I am giving a party, I overplan on the quantity of food. I am always worried there won't be enough (shocker, huh?). My husband is the rich, gourmet food person. He is responsible for the sauces, butter, cream and dessert part of the meal. We recently had a gathering of friends and we were furnishing the main dishes and each couple was to bring a dish to pass. You guessed it. Our meal was delicious but rich. I was worried there wouldn't be enough food, so I also made 3 or 4 appetizers. 3 couples brought gooey desserts and the only skinny person in the crowd bought a simple very small antipasto tray with veggies, fresh mozzeralla and pickled peppers. I remember thinking it was kind of skimpy considering the size of the group. But she is the only person in this group who does not need to lose weight and she brought a small amount of food that was good but not overburdened with unheathy stuff. She was the sane one.
One of the links below suggested that if you love your family and friends, you will serve them healthy foods and not burden them with things that contribute to disease. It also suggested not supersizing the meals or pushing seconds. What a good thought. I adore my family and friends. Most of them are over 50 and many of those who are under 50 are dealing with weight issues and/or health issues. Why would I want to contribute to that?
My only resolution for the new year will be this. When I entertain, I will make delicious healthy food. I won't serve too much of it (no seconds and only one plate of food is good for everybody not just no S'ers).
If the meal is rich, the dessert will be fruit. If the meal is simple, the dessert can be a little decadent.
Here's to a healthy, happy, wonderful new year to us all.

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:54 pm

More support for portion/content control for entertaining for the new year. Went out last night with a friend to a band concert. She invited us over for a wine and snacks before. I thought, "oh no, here we go again. High fat, high calorie, heart attack food." She is average size and eats healthy. When we got there, she had a personal size pizza, cut into very small pieces, a plate of raw vegetables and wheat thins. All on 2 sandwich size plates. As a hostess, I would have been worried about putting out that little. But you know what? It was perfect. We didn't overeat and I didn't feel horrible after. I will definitely work on using portion control for the new year. For my sake and the sake of those I love.