diets, they just don't work

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

joasia

diets, they just don't work

Post by joasia » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:20 am

Last night I was watching one of those shows that are on after the new year. You know, the ones where there are fat people trying to lose weight and they are put on a diet and get a trainer. Well these trainers started to raid their cupboards throwing out food. Then they had to do these intense grueling military style workouts. And I was thinking: Ya this is great, but how long can you really sustain it. Am I going to come home after a 10 hour day at work and do lunges, squats, push ups, crab walks, whatever. And am I going to eat steamed fish and vegetables everyday for dinner. NO WAY! And I was one of them. I sacrificed food and exercised like the devil. And it worked. I dropped 50 pounds. But then I couldn't stand it. Because you never can for more than a few painful months. And I ate all the weight back, plus more. So on hard days, I have to remind myself that dieting is not the ticket for me. Especially during these new year days, when everyone at work is doing a new diet and talking about it.

P.S. My mom has been on and off diets her whole life. And she weighs more now than ever. My dad eats three hearty meals a day, doesn't diet, doesn't snack much, and has been a normal weight his whole life. I have to believe that I can be like him in the weight department.
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

JustAnnie

Post by JustAnnie » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:52 pm

I understand what you're saying! My daughter, who is 20 something and has a weight problem, admires "The Biggest Loser" tv show. She has even gotten their work outs on DVD. I've told her a few times that the way they lose weight on that show is insane and that they can't maintain that life style. She pointed out that when they revisited selected people from the show that they are still slim. I countered by telling her that if I knew a tv show was going to pay to return to my house and show how I was still slim, I'd maintain the program too. And, they don't revisit the majority of the contestants, only a selected few. She, of course, rolled her eyes.

I will not even call "No-S" a diet. I refer to it as a system or life style. It is something that I'm going to have to make a natural way of eating of the rest of my life and I know this. But the cool thing is....I know it's doable.
Just Annie

You Can't Fail Until You Quit Trying

joasia

Post by joasia » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:06 pm

It works for a very small number. Some people are able to commit to that level for the rest of their lives. But I don't know many. And for most people they regain their weight in 5 years. So I would like to see the Biggest Loser revisit EVEYONE in 5 years. That would really show us if it works. But for the average person, sanity is the best approach. The problem is most people want quick results. They are impatient. And when it comes to losing weight, you have to have the patience of a saint :P
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:01 pm

Milczar, I totally agree with you. I've done diets. I've even lost with them. I've even kept the weight off a long time... but only when I've done SANE lifestyle changes.

This is the sanest I've found.