Newbie - started No S last week

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

bonnieUK

Newbie - started No S last week

Post by bonnieUK » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:49 am

Hi, I'm new here, started the no S diet last Monday. Apologies in advance if this is long, I’m not good at keeping things like this short!

About me:

Female, 28, Vegan (i.e. eat no meat, fish, dairy or eggs – been this way most of my adult life). Fairly sedentary office worker. Never had any problems with extra weight until recently.

Exercise = yoga 1-2 times a week plus walking in the woods pretending to be a Lothlorien Elf :D (about 3-4 times a week).

My weight has always been fairly healthy (BMI of 20-21), apart from being a little underweight in my early twenties. However, during the last year I put on 4kgs (approx 8 pounds), despite no obvious change to my eating / exercise habits. It may not seem like a significant amount of weight, but I’d like to loose a little to get back to what I feel is my “normal†size (and fit into my clothes again instead of having to buy a whole new wardrobe!).

Bad habits:

Overeating at meal times – friends and family have noted my large appetite and ability to eat a lot (people mistakenly assume that as a vegan I live on lettuce leaves or something) – my husband says that I can “eat him under the table†:D

Grazing and snacking (nuts, dried fruit, crackers - nothing unhealthy but still has an impact)

Comfort eating, even if not hungry.

How I’ve found the S diet so far:

Very logical and not too extreme (being a vegan means my food choices are restricted anyway, so restricting whole food groups as suggested in other diets won’t work for me at all, and would probably mean I’d risk health issues, deficiencies etc.). I don’t feel deprived either which is great.

Not having sweets is easy, as I avoid sugar anyway and have for years.

Very much to my surprise it only took about 3 days to get used to not having seconds, and that was my biggest issue (I’d sometimes eat a plate of food, and then the same amount again!).

Not having snacks has been the hardest bit and I’ve not stuck to that very well. I’ve taken the very helpful advice from the people on here about how to ditch snacks, I’ve started eating larger meals (especially breakfast), which definitely helps.

I was interested in the recent posts which discussed how hunger and appetite has a strong psychological element. As mentioned I was underweight in my early twenties (mostly due to being a poor student taking dance training daily, plus a period of illness around the same time). After this phase I developed the mentality that I can and should eat as much as I can / want in order to build up and maintain a healthy weight. This mentality became quite engrained, but I’ve now realise that as I’ve become a fairly sedentary adult I need to change my mentality and re-evaluate my relationship with eating.

I look forward to reading more of the interesting posts on here. Thanks for listening :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:33 pm

Welcome! You'll find this a very supportive group. :)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:16 pm

Welcome, bonnieUK!

No apologies necessary, we like long. Especially when it involves stories about prancing around the woods like a Lothlorien Elf. :-) No kidding -- a big element of shovelglove and urban ranger is role playing, too. If you can't do useful exercise, you have to role play a bit if you don't want to get bored out of your mind.

It sounds like your bad habits are pretty directly addressed by no-s. That the remaining issue ("sweets") isn't much of a problem for you gives you a leg up. "No seconds" was the biggest problem for me, too (I think we're in the minority here -- "no snacks" seems to be the champ, with "no sweets" a decisive second).

Reinhard
Last edited by reinhard on Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bonnieUK

thanks for the welcome :)

Post by bonnieUK » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:50 am

Thanks :) I'm still impressed by how easy it was to ditch having seconds (which I did habiitually pretty much every day) just shows that it can can be easy to re-train the body out of bad habits. I'm finding that I enjoy my food much more when I know I'm only going to have one plate of it. I'm also finding that I'm starting to feel full and satisfied with much less food. I didn't even had seconds on the first "S days" as I just didn't feel like it, I did allow myself some soy desert as a treat though :)

Getting better on the snack thing too, I'm now just having fruit as a snack if I feel I really need something.

I agree that play & imagination should feature in exercise, I think exercise is much more enjoyable if you get your imagination involved.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:25 pm

Reinhard, I think that you may not be considering "snacks that are sweets" in your calculations.

Non-meal-eating was my biggest challenge - but a lot of that eating consisted of candy bars and similar junk.

Once I cut out snacks, the sweets were gone too - almost by definition.

bizzybee

Post by bizzybee » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:18 pm

I was a closeted seconds taker. I thought I would be craving sweets, but it turned out that I have been a habitual second plater and didn't realize it. My "mess-ups" are almost always a thoughtless nibble of bread or broccoli off my kid's plate when I'm cleaning up from dinner.

Really, quite a wake-up call.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:45 am

Welcome!!

I was a triple S'er.
Snack between meals from sunup to sundown.
Seconds please, thirds possibly and cleanup the leftovers (yes, really!)
Dessert, yes please and portions enough for 2 or 3.
EEK.

Had a couple months were I was very consistent with the nos, and fell off, and trying again. Today's an S day, and had very UNsatisfying snacks, will have a nice dessert tomorrow.

:D
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

roman.holiday

Post by roman.holiday » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:44 am

reinhard wrote: "No seconds" was the biggest problem for me, too (I think we're in the minority here -- "no snacks" seems to be the champ, with "no sweets" a decisive second).

Reinhard
No sweet snacks is my hardest battle!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:00 pm

Yes, there is significant overlap between snacks and sweets. But in a way that makes it easier -- follow one rule and there's not much left to do for the other.

There is even overlap between seconds and sweets, if you consider dessert a second. Taken together, "no snacks" and "no seconds" almost imply "no sweets." But the few exceptions that make it through (syrupy breakfasts, sugar cereal, and soft drinks especially) are significant enough that we should hang on the explicit formulation.

Reinhard