Snacking is Contagious...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

OrganicGal

Snacking is Contagious...

Post by OrganicGal » Thu May 29, 2008 9:15 pm

I'm just reading Oprah magazine and there is a short article entitled Snacking is Contagious...I thought I'd share it here.

"In one study, college students who saw a video of a colleague talking while munching on Goldfish crackers went for Goldfish 71% of the time over animal crackers. Those watching someone eat animal crackers went for the Goldfish only 44% of the time--this depsite an overall preference for Goldfish. So think before you bite: When it comes to food, imitation can be the sincerest form of fattening." (source: The Journal of Consumer Research. Apr. 2008 ).

Food for thought...I know for me that plenty of time...I'd even venture to say most of the time...if others around me are eating then I will eat something whether I am hungry or not. And sometimes I will even eat something if the food is there with the people, but none of them are eating.
Last edited by OrganicGal on Fri May 30, 2008 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

CatholicCajun

Post by CatholicCajun » Thu May 29, 2008 9:31 pm

Yep, me too!!
Je'sus, j'Ai Confiance dans Vous

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Fri May 30, 2008 12:19 am

I have to be careful when I'm sitting with my husband and he goes for the snacks; if it's cashews or potato chips, I have to be very conscious of my manners and actively control myself or I'm bust, even if we just finished dinner, I still will go for those two things, ugh.
I've learned to leave them alone if they are around and no one is eating them, though, hopefully, eventually my husband's snacking will be a non-issue as well.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri May 30, 2008 2:27 am

well I can certainly vouch for the fact that my husband's food choices affect mine :D

it is amazing though, sometimes I will see somone eating something i have not eaten in a long time and find myself thinking ... oh I want that too!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Mary

Post by Mary » Fri May 30, 2008 9:08 pm

Sometimes I wonder why that's part of why women are more often overweight than men; they can and should eat more than us, but we are often eating with them, and I, at least, have a hard time telling myself not to "keep up"!
My skinny husband's way taller than me and must have some kind of crazy metabolism, too. He eats like a horse. It's hard to sit at dinner over an empty plate while he goes back for seconds and thirds!