Hello, I'm new

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mooseberry

Hello, I'm new

Post by mooseberry » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:08 am

:D
Day 1: I hope success! It's 9:06 p.m. and so far, so good. Hope I can hang on until tomorrow.

????????????Does chocolate ovaltine with my breakfast count as milk or a sweet? I'm going to ask before I do it.
mooseberry

mooseberry

Post by mooseberry » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:20 am

I should also say that I am in the process of reading the book. It all makes sense.

Starting weight: 160
Goal: 120 :roll:
mooseberry

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:22 am

Hi, Mooseberry, and welcome!

This is a great group, and you'll get a lot of support here.

On the Ovaltine... a lot of things fall into "gray areas." The usual dividing line is to ask yourself "is it sweet enough to be a dessert?"

I also ask myself:
- Is it a "gateway" food (leading to craving more sweets)
- Is it a problem in current quantities?

If the answer to those are "no," then enjoy. The rule is not "no sugar," it's "no sweets." (I have two cups of coffee with a teaspoon of sugar in each every morning, and don't worry about it).

If it's "yes," then think twice.

And remember, you can change your mind. You might decide you need it now, when you're cutting out so many other things, and later decide to give it up. Or you might decide that you want to go "cold turkey" now, and later decide that it really does fit your diet.

One of the beauties of No-S is that it allows incremental improvements over time.

Good luck!

mooseberry

Post by mooseberry » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:33 am

Thanks for the welcoming. I am going to need lots of support. Just posting everyday makes me feel more accountable. I like the idea of tracking the days to 21 to establish the habit.

And you are right, it's the incremental part I like also. There is no failure - just try again until the good habits are formed.
mooseberry

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:06 am

I should also say that I am in the process of reading the book. It all makes sense.
mooseberry,

WELCOME.

The book does make a lot of sense :D
Just posting everyday makes me feel more accountable
it definitely helps me! Glad You are Here!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

CatholicCajun

Post by CatholicCajun » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:19 pm

Good Morning and Bienvenu! Most of us here post daily to keep us in contact with each other, to offer support and encouragement, and it helps keep us focused and on track, glad you are with us. Have a blessed day.
Je'sus, j'Ai Confiance dans Vous

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:41 pm

Welcome, MB! How's it going today?

The talk about accountability intrigues me. I used to think that I needed to have someone to be accountable to (as in having a food sponsor in OA), but as I'm doing this (No-S) more I'm realizing that I only need to be accountable to myself. Because if I put too much faith in having someone else keep me of track, I can find an excuse if I want one to not have to talk to that person any longer. If I think that this forum is the reason I keep going, I may decide in the future that I don't want to come here and have to say I failed.

On the other hand, if I come here to offer my support and to learn tips from what's worked or is working for others, then it's a great supplement to my habit-building.

Bottom line for me is that I need to have trust and faith in myself and my ability to take good care of myself all by myself, if necessary. That, and knowing that I am worth the effort.

PS to MB Did you decide to go with the Ovaltine? Why or why not?
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

mooseberry

Post by mooseberry » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:52 am

Day 2: Success

feeling good, haven't started getting hungry yet, probably be awhile before I burn off all this excess fat that I have stored up :D

haven't been to the store yet to get the ovaltine, but I will probably start out that way because I hate milk
mooseberry

mooseberry

Post by mooseberry » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:50 pm

Day 3: Success

Day 4: Today is Saturday, an S day. I had a slice of lemon mer. pie with my sensible lunch. It tasted soooooo good.
mooseberry

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:10 pm

Good work, MooseBerry! I think the indulgences do taste better since we wait for them! I'm glad that you had such a successful start! Just keep adding one more day, then one more day...you can do it!

mooseberry

Post by mooseberry » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:55 am

Day 5: S day--- indulgence

Tomorrow back to the NoS way of life.
mooseberry

mooseberry

Post by mooseberry » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:14 am

Day 6: so far so good
mooseberry

mooseberry

Post by mooseberry » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:36 am

Day 7: success
mooseberry

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:32 pm

Welcome!

I personally would skip the ovaltine... but I can see the case for it being a borderline food.

Reinhard

mooseberry

Post by mooseberry » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:51 am

Day 8: Success
Day 9: Success

and today was hard because my grandkids came down and we went to cold stone creamery, they had ice cream and I didn't.
mooseberry

mooseberry

?????????????????????????????????/

Post by mooseberry » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:03 am

day 10: success,

and now for the S days

Also, back to my previous post: when my grandkids came down and went to cold stone creamery, would that have counted as a S day since it was so special (we don't always go there when they come down)?

and if it did count as an s day, does that make it a red day and would I have had to start over in counting my days??????
mooseberry

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:23 am

mooseberry....if the day your grandkids came down..was not actually a Sat. or Sun. Then you can mark it with a yellow square on your habitcal and call it an NWS...which is a non weekend S day. Reinhard says you should take 2 of these a month anyway. Yellow days are exempt days and are not a failure.

You can read about these in the book...if you have it.
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

telltalemikey

Post by telltalemikey » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:32 am

i'm new too. today is my day 3. so far so good. and you look like you are doing well. keep it up:))
AMOR VINCIT OMNIA....LOVE CONQUERS ALL
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨
(¸.•´ (¸.•´MIKEY

mooseberry

Post by mooseberry » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:50 am

Day 11: S Day

Day 12: S Day

The next four days will be hard because I am attending a workshop @ OU from 9 to 3 daily and they feed us good. But I am determined to stick with NOS. :D
mooseberry

la_loser

Managing those goodies they give you at workshops!

Post by la_loser » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:27 am

Mooseberry,
I know what you mean about seminars/conferences where they serve all sorts of delightful foods. I just completed a two week summer institute at a major university where the order of the day was coffee and sweet rolls & bagels, etc. before it started; two 30 minute breaks mid-morning and mid-afternoon in addition to the substantial lunch break.

I handled the mornings by eating the bagels and fruit for my breakfast there on site and did a little socializing/networking then; during the two breaks, I headed to a computer station and checked email, etc. to keep myself away from the temptation of the sweets and snacks provided. (this was an opportunity to be a weekday luddite for a good reason!) I must admit I wasn't always as successful as I'd like to have been, but it worked most days!

I used the lunch time to make a quick trip to a nearby city pool to join some friends in our daily water aerobics class for 45 minutes. I still had time to eat a QUICK lunch (no time to eat too much!) and got back to the next session.

So hopefully you can manage your time at OU and stay true to your No S's!

Good luck.

mooseberry

Post by mooseberry » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:20 am

Day 13: Success

Thank you for your encouragement and support laloser. :D
mooseberry