No-S Diet and traveling

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Anne

No-S Diet and traveling

Post by Anne » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:22 am

I'm going to spend of few days in NYC on vacation, and I'm worried about being able to follow the No-S diet there. How do you deal with all the temptations? I know there will be restaurant lunches and dinners, and all the wonderful foods that will be available and that I cannot easily get at home.

Does anyone have some great tips or words of wisdom?

KAxelrod

Post by KAxelrod » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:39 am

Hi Anne -

One of the things I LOVE about No S is that you can have all those wonderful temptations (unless they are sweets) and restaurant lunches and restaurant dinners. Virtual plate, if you need to, but you can have anything you want (just one plate full at meals). You could make 1 of your NYC days an S day, if there are a bunch of sweets that you love from there. But otherwise, it should be pretty do-able. If it seems like there are too many temptations to fit in a day, maybe you could do a modification, and allow yourself 4 meals per day, just while you're there.

Good luck!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:21 pm

You CAN declare some of your vacation days S-days. I often do this. Don't try to be more heroic than you can manage.

That being said, No-s travels much better than most other diets. Low carb/fat foods/precise calorie counts can be hard to find, depending where on where you are, but discrete meals are available anywhere -- even in NYC! (I'm a native, so I speak from experience).

Reinhard

thomer

Post by thomer » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:36 pm

I think the hard thing for me on vacation would be avoiding the sweets.

Maybe limiting your sweets to one a day (or less) and only have stuff you would never have at home.
DQ - no
World famous eclair shop - sure

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:56 pm

Just enjoy yourself Anne! If it's only a few days, don't worry about it.
Stay off the scale for a week after you come back and I bet you will see no difference :wink:

If you have the budget, and feel like a bit of "home cooking" why not have dinner at a wonderful restaurant in the Village called Provence.. Or if you really wanna go nuts, go to Cafe des Artistes :wink:

Have fun!!
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Happy Cooker

Post by Happy Cooker » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:07 pm

In late November I had my first vacation since starting No S, and I recalled Reinhard saying that vacations are S days, so I treated the whole 8-day span as S days. I didn't go hog wild, but I did snack on toasted almonds and dried cherries (favorite snack foods) and fruit on our 2-day drive down, and the same, plus some chocolate, on the way back. In between I had a few desserts and a few snacks (taking someone's advice about S days being a good opportunity to graze rather than chow down on sweets). It wasn't a blowout at all. I enjoyed the freedom and really enjoyed the family we visited, and it all worked out. I was careful not to weigh myself on my return. I got back on track with N days right away (I was afraid it would be hard after a long span of more relaxed eating), weighed myself last week and found that I have continued to lose. My total weight loss now since June is 13 pounds, and the jeans I bought in mid-November are loose. Cool.

I love visiting NYC for the great restaurants, cheese shops, and bakeries, among many other city delights (there are NO bakeries in my town--grr). When I get to NYC I do seek out the best things and eat them joyfully. My best approach with indulgences is the pleasure principle: Eat the food I enjoy, and stop well before it hurts (pain being the absence of pleasure, at least according to some philosophers; this is also known as moderation).

Enjoy that trip! You'll most likely be happy to come back to N days.