Alcohol questions

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

bonkab

Alcohol questions

Post by bonkab » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:46 pm

I am new, my first week.Is there a way to search the topics without looking at every page?
ONe of my favorite times is a beer with my Husband on nice evenings outside when weather permits. Is that a snack, is it allowed? Should you just do it on weekends with free days? Thanks
GroovieGran

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:14 pm

From Reinhard:

What about drinks?
Sugar drinks, as mentioned above, are out. If you think you'll pop unless you get your pop, have a look at my hierarchy of pop alternatives.

I don't count alcoholic beverages as esses. I usually have a drink or two a day, which I've read is supposed to be very healthy. 2 drinks is my "glass ceiling," however, because I've read (and experienced) that more than that can be pretty awful. If you drink that or less, I don't imagine it'll have much impact from a caloric point of view. If you drink much more, you may have a different sort of problem altogether.

The subject of drinks isn't to be viewed in purely negative terms. It's not just about avoiding liquid calories. Drink water proactively, to ward off hunger. Thirst is often confused with hunger, and a glass of water can be an effective snack replacement. No, it doesn't taste quite as good, but yes it can work.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:28 pm

I originally thought it was way too lenient to allow caloric drinks and not count them as snacks. What I have found in following this program is that it is very easy to socialize with a drink (coffee, tea, or alcohol) when you might feel awkward if you just had water.
Kathleen