Home Cooking

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

Home Cooking

Post by wosnes » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:14 pm

This was in the New York Times today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/04/dinin ... =permalink
Julia Moskin wrote:Even if home cooking is of the fried-chicken-and-mashed-potatoes variety, it rarely produces extreme obesity, said Barry Popkin, a nutritional epidemiologist at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. “Almost any kind of cooking you can produce in a kitchen is healthier than fast food.†The decline of home cooking worldwide, he said, is an underlying cause of obesity.

“People are eating more, and more often,†Dr. Popkin said. “And the foods that they are consuming almost always replace meals cooked in a kitchen and eaten at a table.†It is difficult to quantify a decline in cooking skills, but many studies show that time in the kitchen has declined steeply since 1965, when American women spent a weekly average of 13 hours cooking. Last month the government of Britain, where obesity is spreading rapidly, passed a law requiring all secondary-school students to attend cooking classes.
I think anything you make is going to be better than anything that is ready-to-eat. It's not just fast food or food consumed at restaurants.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

mjn

Post by mjn » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:03 am

I so agree with this. I love to cook, though, and I know it is becoming a lost skill in our society.

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:42 am

I cook, and I totally agree . . . my family is all normal weight even though I think we all have a genetic predisposition toward weight gain. I think that's because we mostly eat at home . . .and not pre-packaged food items. I'm still heavier than I'd like to be . . .but I know I'd be 10x worse if I ate out a lot.

BrightAngel

Re: Home Cooking

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:48 pm

wosnes wrote:This was in the New York Times today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/04/dinin ... =permalink
Thanks for sharing the article.
I remain fascinated by The Biggest Loser TV program,
and I very much enjoyed reading some of the drastic methods used.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:06 pm

apomerantz wrote:I cook, and I totally agree . . . my family is all normal weight even though I think we all have a genetic predisposition toward weight gain. I think that's because we mostly eat at home . . .and not pre-packaged food items. I'm still heavier than I'd like to be . . .but I know I'd be 10x worse if I ate out a lot.
I agree -- and we eat whenever and wherever. We don't stop, sit down and enjoy what we eat. We just shove it in. By "we" I mean people in general. If we stopped and sat down to eat, I think we'd find that it isn't possible to enjoy some of the food!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:29 pm

I love the New York Times. I learn so much from reading it. This is a great article, thanks for sharing!!
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille